June 2015 Moms

Breastfeeding/Pumping/Formula Feeding Check-In 6/29 to 7/5

Re: Breastfeeding/Pumping/Formula Feeding Check-In 6/29 to 7/5

• I just ordered some mother's milk tea and some fenugreek (Amazon prime u da bomb). I gotta kick this milk production into high gear cause I'm a "just enough" producer right now. Hopefully it works. If i could drink a quart of the raspberry leaf tea a day for a month I'll be fine with this..
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi all, finally have a chance to post (been trying to keep up with reading all the posts). Things have been challenging.

LO is 2.5 weeks.
    Bf, with a pump in the morning to build stash was supplementing with formula but now she's getting what she needs from bf only

Things started rough at the hospital. She had a terrible latch and destroyed my nipples. We also found out that she had a posterior tongue tie. When she was 3 days old we went to the oral surgeon to have it clipped. We then went to a LC. She told us the clip wasnt enough. I started exclusively pumping to let my nipples heal. Luckily I was able to establish my supply by pumping every 2 to 3 hours. We took her the next week to get clipped more. Then went back to the LC. Things are improving but her latch still isn't great. When she first gets on she losses suction and clicks/smacks. I have a hard time getting her to open her mouth wide. She also falls asleep while feeding and loves to just use my boob as a pacifier. Has anyone introduced a pacifier yet? If so which one?

Hairstyle #1, go big or go home :)>-
  • mvargas12mvargas12 member
    edited June 2015

@mvargas12 LO poops after every feeding and it's always accompanied by huge farts which makes me think it's too much and uncomfortable. I read it's not uncommon for BF babies to go a few days in between pooping. She literally poops every 2.5 hours. WHY CAN'T ALL BABIES BE THE SAME SO A MANUAL CAN BE INCLUDED? Like...how am I supposed to know if something is really wrong?

Good to know, thanks! I've heard what your LO is doing (pooping after every feeding) is normal and that's what's been worrying me about my non pooper. I totally agree a manual would be much appreciated!

• My mom always joked that there was a book on exactly how to raise a kid when I was younger. Now im like umm I really need that! I bought some flaxseed and brewers yeast for the cookies that help milk production hoping to make that tomorrow.
  • seeseaseesea member
    Awww man! What's with these deleted comments @mellymar I saw your reply. You're welcome :)

...and there was a great post about how to deal with oversupply and now it's gone! How is this an "update"? Ugh.

Anyway,

Lo is 4w4d old. Mostly pumping and bfing. I hate it, I hate every minute of it. My dh is super against formula. But the whole experience has been a nightmare. I think my dh doesn't like pumping either because then he had to feed her or warm up a bottle. I've been trying to get lo on the beast more and more the nipple shield helped a ton. But she just stays on the boob forver, I have to lean over her to get her to latch my dh just keeps saying that I need to go to a meeting and it shouldn't be this hard and all these things I should be doing, seriously I just want to cry, im so over it. I fed her for over 1 hour on both breasts felt like I got that let down thingie. She pushed the boob away and then still wanted a bottle after. I know she is getting stuff because I pump too, she gained 1 pound in 10 days well over the normal amount. She's only had formula twice at the hospital and on the first day we came home. I looked into the meetings the next one is on friday. I was hoping to try and get some sleep that day since dh is off. Between lo and dh I just feel like im not good enough and im over it. There is nothing wrong with formula and if it wasn't for the cost I would have switched on day 2. Also lo was fussy all night because she slept all day yesterday, we have a friend in town and are going out again today. I know people say it will get easier but at this point I don't believe them.

Why is your DH so against formula or pumping? Maybe he could go with you if you see an LC or go to a meeting so he could better understand what you're going through? Breastfeeding is really challenging and all this stress you're going through is not helping.

Pro breastfeeding advocates always champion the benefits of breastmilk but hardly ever talk about how freaking hard it is. This kinda gets to me and it puts so much pressure on moms to get it right away because it's "natural". Sorry didn't mean to rant in my reply.

What I'd like to get across is to please, don't stress yourself out and lose confidence over it. You're not a terrible mother and there's nothing wrong with you wanting to take a break from feeding every once in a while. Have you tried using a pacifier? Infants have a need to suck for comfort which could explain your hour long nursing sessions. Your LO could also be going through a growth spurt which is common for 4 weeks. The good thing about cluster feeding sessions during growth spurts is that it almost always means they'll sleep longer once it's done.

Get some rest and I hope things get better for you!
  • Right there with you ladies... And if one more person tells me I just have to drink a beer a day to have enough milk I might hurt them
  • So LO's spit up issues are back. I am being a hypochondriac and am sure he has the weird rare stomach disease that requires surgery (eye roll at myself)... but he seems to be gaining weight, isn't stressed by all the spit up, and doesn't fuss about gas. Every few feeds he cries on the boob but I sit him up, he burps almost instantly, then he finishes his meal like normal. So The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding classifies this as a "laundry issue not a baby issue"... But really? He spits up so often, it just doesn't seem "right."

I am answering my own question but if he projectile vomits tomorrow, that is three days in a row, and I will call the pediatrician.
  • 1. 2 weeks

2. breastfeeding and pumping for freezer stash

3. Update from last week: I was having trouble with let down while pumping. The solution is to wait until LO is having a screaming fit to pump. Instant let down. You're welcome.

Fun---#1, it's actually like a better a version of what my hair does.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • My LO is 10 days old now and my supply is really low. I'm only making about an ounce total at each feeding. I've tried everything to get my supply up but it's just not working. As a last resort my Dr. Prescribed reglan to try and increase my supply but I started reading some of the side effects and I'm having second thoughts about it. Has anyone else tried it?
  • So LO's spit up issues are back. I am being a hypochondriac and am sure he has the weird rare stomach disease that requires surgery (eye roll at myself)... but he seems to be gaining weight, isn't stressed by all the spit up, and doesn't fuss about gas. Every few feeds he cries on the boob but I sit him up, he burps almost instantly, then he finishes his meal like normal. So The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding classifies this as a "laundry issue not a baby issue"... But really? He spits up so often, it just doesn't seem "right."

I am answering my own question but if he projectile vomits tomorrow, that is three days in a row, and I will call the pediatrician.

My LO had 3 days of projectile vomit in a row. But not all day, just 1-2 times each day. I was also sure my LO had the stomach issue that requires surgery thanks to google. But he's gaining weight as well. And still producing his wet and soiled diapers. He is 2 weeks and 1 day old today. And thankfully no projectile vomit today (fingers crossed we get through the night) I've just been really strict about burping him for a while after he eats and having him slightly tilted towards me and his head/stomach higher than the rest of his body while nursing. Hoping it's just a phase he will grow out of, but definitely something I will bring up at his next appt
  • I'm apparently also starving my baby :((

After 3 pumping sessions (1 at the LCs office this morning, 2 more at home) I only manage to pump maybe 8-10ml total. That's a measly half an ounce, when they want Master P to have 1 & 1/2 to 2 ounces per feeding. The peds office called and said to start supplementing today instead of waiting for tomorrow. So now the past 2 feedings have been 3/4 formula. Well, and whatever he gets off of his 15 minutes at the boob each side. Which I doubt is much because when he doesn't fall asleep at the boob, half the rest of the time we play the suck / push game like @Mommaswizz LO (will latch, suck a few times, then push off. Over and over). When thinking about it, the little bit I get when pumping makes sense, as we know LO barely sucks at the boob, so my body didn't know to make more.

The most important thing is that Master P eats, and I'm not going to give up on bfing or using breastmilk (if I have to pump to get the necessary amount I will). I should have a RX waiting for me tomorrow for a breast pump and can go to the local medical supply store and just get one. I'll keep pumping to tell my body to make more milk and hopefully LO will grow stronger with the addition of the supplement feeds and will be able to pull more milk on his own in time.

Doesn't help me feeling like a big fat mommy failure, tho :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mellymar You are not a failure! You are doing the right thing for your LO. And as we have all repeated, BF-ing is really hard. I can quite literally say I have put blood, sweat and tears into it and I'm lucky both my kids had great latches. You are not a failure and you're doing great! Keep at it, mama.
  • Harder than hard, all the classes and books don't really capture it. I wish I was more prepared for all the challenges (like tongue tie, lip tie, poor latch, cracked nipples, etc)
  • BF is so hard! And you hear it from some people but don't really understand how hard until you have to do it.
    I'm so happy we made the decision to formula feed during the day and I BF her from bedtime until morning. It's so much easier for us to formula feed. I feel like I can leave the house and do things without being so paranoid about feeding her and knowing I'm on a stict schedule and need to find a place to nurse. I know I could do it publicly but honestly I just don't think I could find the courage too.
    I've finally started to enjoy BF our daughter when I do.
  • So after my big rant today I was feeling pretty down turns out lo wanted a pacifier not more milk which was way encouraging. Then dh said he was really sorry and thinks im doing a good job which I really needed to hear. I think all the dhs need to say that everyday to us! Dh isn't super against pumping he just knows pumping can be a pain. @mellymar there is a herbal supplement and perscription your doc can give ya to boost supply I thought I was having supply issues because I wasn't pumping a whole hell of a lot but since I started to bf lo and pump my supply is much much better I've also really worked on water intake which since it's been freaking 90 degrees outside has been pretty easy. Normally it's never over 85 here I the Pacific northwest.
  • @mellymar You are spot on. Breastfeeding is hard and rarely magical. Its a job, especially when you have to deal with issues. It will get better over time. Make sure you are getting plenty to eat and drink and try to relax as it will help supply and pumping. Easier said than done of course.

@virginiaunicorn11 I know I've said this before but your LO sounds exactly like my DS1. We had 50+ receiving blankets and burp clothes in rotation. Spit up, projectile puke, we saw it all and DS didn't seem bothered by it or in pain. He was and is super healthy. I wouldn't worry. I did start holding him upright for 30 minutes after every feed and it helped but was unsustainable all night because he ate so often. It got better at 2-3 months when he learned to self regulate with small meals. Nursed ever 1:45 at night until 9 months and never took more than 2.5 ounces from a bottle.

DS2 almost never pukes and he's put on 6 lbs in his first 5 weeks of life! Apparently this model came with a bigger fuel tank!
  • 47923ang47923ang member
    edited July 2015
    @mellymar I had to supplement with formula for a week. I kept pumping religiously, and we've been 100% breastmilk since 1 week old. I have a slight oversupply now at almost 4 weeks old. So, don't give up. It's probably just temporary to get your little man fattened up a little til your milk supply increases.

ETA-- maybe try alternating formula at one feeding session while you pump (no breast that feeding). Get a stash that you can use with or without the formula the next feed. Try every other feed formula/pump and the next breast/formula/pump?
  • @423ang hmmm, that's an idea. I might try that. Even tho just now he didn't even bother to try to suck the boob. Poor guy. Just want to get him stronger
  • You guys. I. Am. Over. This.

After being asleep for 3 broken hours of the past 24, I am seriously considering EPing going forward. My left nipple burns like the fire of 1000 suns, and of course she wants to do all of her 40 minute feedings on thar side. The right, which only moderately hurts, she'll just snack on. She won't even fall asleep now after a 40 minute feeding and two diaper changes.

And before we started this time, DH was like "she's sleeping good tonight!" No. YOU'RE sleeping good tonight. I went to bed at midnight, was up from 1:30-2:30 feeding her, slept, back up at 4 until now ALMOST 6 and in pain feeding her again, and she's nowhere near sleepy yet. DH went to bed at 10 and has gotten up for the first 5 min of each feeding to change a diaper.

She only slept for one stretch of longer than 45 minutes all day yesterday, and she was on me at the time, so I catnapped a bit but that's it.

I have 3 4oz bottles in my freezer stash right now, and I'm seriously considering starting to use them tomorrow (she'll be 10 days). I know pumping is a pain in the ass, because you have to do it every time she has a bottle, and then clean it up, etc...but I would give a limb for someone else to be able to feed her at some point so I could at least take a nap. I was going to start her on one bottle a day next week but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll give her the non-painful breast tomorrow but pump and bottle feed from the other one so it can heal. This is a mess.

I don't feel like we're bonding when I feed her...I feel like she looks at me like I'm just a giant Boob and can offer her nothing but food. There is nothing magical about breastfeeding. It is the WORST.
  • katyqvkatyqv member
    I've been EP since LO was 4 days old - she's now 18 days old and has gained almost 2 lbs, which is so awesome. But damn, pumping really sucks. Especially now that I'm leaking. Like crazy. Last night was especially not fun because LO did not want to be put down after 3am so I missed a pumping session and soaked my nightgown with breastmilk. Yum.
  • I missed every pump session I had last night. I've got to figure out how to wake myself up to pump. This alarm isn't working. Great.
  • katyqvkatyqv member

I missed every pump session I had last night. I've got to figure out how to wake myself up to pump. This alarm isn't working. Great.

I'm jealous you missed pumping because you were sleeping. I'd happily leak for sleep.

• I feel your pain, literally. I had to stop breastfeeding the day we came home from the hospital because my nipples were bleeding so badly. I exclusively pump that first week until they healed. During that week we found out she had tongue tie. So we had that corrected and also have gone to lactation consultants for help. If you are having that much pain I would consider going to a lactation consultant for help or maybe even find a la Leche League group near you. After her tongue tie correction and visits with the lactation consultant were having a better time breastfeeding. It still hurts when she first light is on but after that its just normal pulling and tugging pain we're still working on her latch which isn't great but I'm going to continue to work with lactation consultants
  • @swiebe @henrytviii thank you for the empathy and encouragement! he projectile vomited again this morning. Day 3, always after the first feed or two. I am now thinking its a matter of both too strong letdown, making him choke and get gassy, and also oversupply, so overeating. Poor dude can't just hang out on the boob and fall asleep because if I don't pull him off, it's a horror show.

We have a pediatrician appointment on Tuesday so will just keep trying to keep him upright and washing burp cloths til then. Thanks again for the peace of mind!
  • katyqv said:

I missed every pump session I had last night. I've got to figure out how to wake myself up to pump. This alarm isn't working. Great.

I'm jealous you missed pumping because you were sleeping. I'd happily leak for sleep.

I'm trying to increase my supply. I'm doing everything imaginable. Except waking up to pump. If it's not the LO I turn it off!
  • katyqvkatyqv member
    edited July 2015

I'm trying to increase my supply. I'm doing everything imaginable. Except waking up to pump. If it's not the LO I turn it off!

How much are you pumping each session? I've finally started freezing almost every other pump to start a stash and I keep around 24 oz in the fridge at a time. My freezer stash isn't growing as fast as I'd like because most of what I pump through out the day goes in the fridge to make sure I have enough for LO to eat that day.

I'm probably thinking too much into this and should just be happy I'm producing enough for LO to eat...a lot and keep her gaining.

ETA hit reply too soon
  • @mellymar my first few days were similar, except baby would latch but was on there 24/7 and I wasn't confident he was getting what he needed. Then one morning I woke up and bam, all his hard work had paid off and suddenly I had more milk than he could eat lol I hope the same happens for you. Remember their tummy is small, baby might be constantly wanting to feed not because she's hungry but because she's working on getting your milk supply up. And stress is suppose to be make it difficult to come in, so make sure you are relaxing and taking it easy. A doula also told me that when woman are struggling with their milk supply, that being in bed/couch with no company, and skin to skin for a full 24 hours usually gets things on track.
    I also found that the easiest latch was when laying on my side. It usually only takes him a second or two to latch and he does it with little or no help. If you aren't trying different positions yet, this might help as well.
    Little dude is ten days old today so I haven't had much experience but it's getting easier, less stressful and less painful.
  • The neurotic part of me loves EPing because I know exactly how much lo is getting, and feeding is so much less stressful. And fi can take turns feeding. I just worry the pump isn't as efficient at removing milk and my supply won't keep up with how quickly lo is upping his appetite. We were doing 1.5 oz per feed two days ago and now we're up to 2.5! Come on boobies!

This is so me too. I'm still EBF with occasionally pumping but I can so relate to this.
  • katyqv said:

How much are you pumping each session? I've finally started freezing almost every other pump to start a stash and I keep around 24 oz in the fridge at a time. My freezer stash isn't growing as fast as I'd like because most of what I pump through out the day goes in the fridge to make sure I have enough for LO to eat that day.

I'm probably thinking too much into this and should just be happy I'm producing enough for LO to eat...a lot and keep her gaining.

ETA hit reply too soon
    LO will be three weeks tomorrow. She's EBF and I pump to supplement after she nurses because her pedi said she was getting too tired on the breast. I pump anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 every hour to hour and a half. I've been pumping at least 15 minutes but if the milk is still flowing I'll keep going until it stops. Recently it's 20 minutes. I usually get a second let down around 15 minutes. I have a meeting with a lactation consultant Friday morning so I'll find out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. I'm sure something isn't quite right. I'm downing 12 Fenugreek pills and lactation smoothies one after the other. It's draining and very time consuming.
  • @swiebe @henrytviii thank you for the empathy and encouragement! he projectile vomited again this morning. Day 3, always after the first feed or two. I am now thinking its a matter of both too strong letdown, making him choke and get gassy, and also oversupply, so overeating. Poor dude can't just hang out on the boob and fall asleep because if I don't pull him off, it's a horror show.

We have a pediatrician appointment on Tuesday so will just keep trying to keep him upright and washing burp cloths til then. Thanks again for the peace of mind!

I started to hand express before he eats and that seems to be helping. Made it through one whole day with no projectile vomit and today is looking good too. Keep us updated. Seems like we are dealing with similar issues.
  • For any moms that bottle feed, how much is your LO eating? Mine is 3 weeks old and she eats 4-6 ozs per feeding. Seems like a lot to me...