February 2016 Moms

Re-using my breast pump

I have been getting down all the baby stuff (while I am still small enough to do it) from our closets and I got my breastpump down too. DS was born 4 months before ACA required insurance companies cover pumps. So I could technically get a new one for free if I wanted to go through the whole reimbursement process. But I don't know if I will want to go through that with a newborn in tow. What do you guys think about re-using my pump? It's a Medela PISA and works fine. I also have spare/replacement parts too.

Re: Re-using my breast pump

• I'm getting another one for free, that way I can have one at home and one at work.

I didn't have to get reimbursed; I just had to order through one of five websites they gave me. It was super easy. I actually didn't even end up needing a doctor's note, but I did have to wait until 20ish weeks. It might not be that way for everyone

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• I will be reusing mine if I end up pumping. This is probably our last kid, so to me it doesn't make sense to get a new one, 'free' or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I know I will have to buy some new parts. Some of the old ones were getting bad and probably just got worse in storage. Flanges,??? Something like that anyways. But that is my plan :)
  • I wouldn't even worry about the hassle, just reuse the one you have. I know I am! :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • ecmbecmb member
    magnumJ said:

I'm getting another one for free, that way I can have one at home and one at work.

I didn't have to get reimbursed; I just had to order through one of five websites they gave me. It was super easy. I actually didn't even end up needing a doctor's note, but I did have to wait until 20ish weeks. It might not be that way for everyone
    This sounds like how mine works. Do you have UnitedHealthcare?

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• I would get a new one. I got mine through the hospital and it was so super easy. I literally did nothing. They billed it right to my insurance and it was paid. Easy peasy!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would check with your insurance. Like PP as long as I go through a specific website mine is direct billed to the insurance company and shipped 4 weeks before my due date.

Your old one is fine but definitely get new parts. It's just great when you can have one at home and one at work. Also, if your old one did decide to quit you'd already have a backup.
  • Your old one would be fine, people sell them all the time and just buy new parts

I am getting a new one I know my insurance should cover it and I want a Medela instead of the ameda purely yours
  • ecmb said:

magnumJ said:

I'm getting another one for free, that way I can have one at home and one at work.

This sounds like how mine works. Do you have UnitedHealthcare?
    Aetna.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Same! I'm getting the exact pump for my DS. I ordered mine through the websites as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I jumped through all kinds of hoops to get a pump and then never got reimbursed... I'll probably just re use mine! Just a need to find replacement parts for tubes and stuff. The pump itself worked great and I don't really see why I'd need a new one if its still working.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • Oh, I know I will have to buy some new parts. Some of the old ones were getting bad and probably just got worse in storage. Flanges,??? Something like that anyways. But that is my plan :)

Getting my free breastpumps through insurance has been a breeze. Personally, I don't think it's any more work than buying replacement parts (maybe less?). Mine took a 15 minute visit to a store 10 minutes from my house. And it's cheaper than buying the replacement parts;)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Hmm I had no idea about this. I have a medela freestyle but it's 5+ years old so not sure how well it will work plus I'm missing the charger and I will need new tubing. Anyone here have kaiser insurance and know how difficult they make it?

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• It's hard to explain but the healthcare company I work for is an Integrated Delivery Network which means my company has its own health insurance, hospitals, physicians and Durable Medical Equipment company. I have to get a script for the pump, get the receipt after getting the pump at that specific DME and send it to my insurance and I will then be reimbursed. Hassle.
    But I like you ladies' ideas of having a back up or having one to leave at work.
    Thanks ladies!

• Just an FYI Medela has started a program to recycle old breast pumps and I think it's something wonderful to do with an old pump you no longer need. *doesn't really have anything to do with this but I like mentioning it*.
  • It's hard to explain but the healthcare company I work for is an Integrated Delivery Network which means my company has its own health insurance, hospitals, physicians and Durable Medical Equipment company. I have to get a script for the pump, get the receipt after getting the pump at that specific DME and send it to my insurance and I will then be reimbursed. Hassle.
    But I like you ladies' ideas of having a back up or having one to leave at work.
    Thanks ladies!

This is what I had to do! Then never even got reimbursed... I didn't even want the kind of pump I got but had to get that one because it's be "free"
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • I see no problem reusing the pump as long as it works well.  Especially if you wanted to get (or have) some new replacement parts.  

In regards to it being a hassle however, it was easy for me as well.  I ordered it through one of two companies and they billed it deirectly to my insurance, so I never had to pay or deal with reimbursement.  My insurance company did make me wait until the baby was actually born though.  I haven't decided if I'm getting a new one this time around or not.  It may be nice to have one at work so it's one less thing to bring back and forth every day...
    Pregnancy Ticker  

• I love the idea of getting a second one if its free from insurance, to keep at work. Lugging it back and forth was such a pain.
  • QuazelQuazel member
    Is your pump a closed system? If it, you just need to replace the parts that have touched milk. If it is an open system, it should be replaced. There are tons of places bacteria can be harbored.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't know insurance now covers it! I have a really expensive one from last time but it was losing its suction toward the end. I can't wait to look into getting a new one. I was dreading shelling out the $300 to replace it. I will still look into repairing this one but I'm super happy to know there may be options.
  • I'll be reusing mine too!  No use going through the whole "paperwork" process if you don't need to.  I say as long as it works fine, REUSE!!   :-h
    Second-time Mommy & OPML 
    M/C (Angel Baby) 10/2011
    AKZ 2/20/2013
    LPZ EDD 2/24/2016
  • I'm sure different insurances offer different levels of coverage but with obamacare being adopted, I wouldn't be surprised if they all offered it now.

Thanks for the thread. It reminded me that I wanted to call my insurance company and ask if I qualify for another one since my son is now almost 2. They said pregnant or breastfeeding women qualify once per calendar year for my plan so I get to get a 2nd one. The one my insurance company gives me is really nice. Ameda purely yours double electric with all hoses, carrying case, and 4 refills of milk storage bags.

Really excited to not have to lug it to and from work because I can keep one at home!
  • I handed mine off to my sister in law after we were done nursing and she got all the replacement parts she'd need. I'm sort of hoping she'll send it back because I'm sure she's done with it too, but I'm not going to hold my breath or ask for it. I guess if she doesn't offer I'll be looking to get a new one. I did keep my manual and I'm excited to use it again. The downside for me is I don't really like the Medelas and that seems to be what is easiest to find.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ecmbecmb member
    I think part of healthcare.gov is that insurance companies have to cover the costs of breast pumps now.

I know my insurance is one where I order it through their website and it is delivered right to my door. No out of pocket expenses and no reimbursement process

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• You guys are lucky! In Canada we don't get ours covered. And with that said I did a lot of research, and it said on a few different sites that if it's not professionally cleaned old milk can get stuck in the pump, and if the baby drinks the old peices it can make the baby sick :/ that's why I don't want to get a used one, but a new one is going to cost so much. :( anyways I just wanted to share my option. Hope it helps !
  • je5sc0je5sc0 member
    My mom's best friend is a lactation consultant so she has a nice hospital grade one that she is letting me use. I don't work so I don't need a back up but that would be a good idea!