Babies on the Brain

Prenatals and DHA?

I've been taking prenatal vitamins for a few months now in preparation for TTC. I haven't had any issues with the first brand I tried so I'm going to order more. However, this particular prenatal doesn't contain DHA and its recommended that I order an additional supplement to take along with it. My question is, should I also be taking DHA supplements now, or is it advisable to wait until I'm actually pregnant?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Prenatals and DHA?

• I'm not sure about everyone else but I take a Dha & vitamine d combined it's expensive but not fishy after taste. $25 from sprouts.
  • Awesome, that's actually the brand I had been looking at buying!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I went to a holistic doctor last week and brought my OTC vitamins with me.  She said that some bodies can't turn folic acid into folate, so I should take a vitamin with folate in it just in case.  She prescribed one that also has DHA.  I went to the pharmacy to fill on Saturday, and my co-pay with my prescription coverage was $108 for 30 pills.  :(  As much as it'd be worth every penny if I was pregnant, I just can't see spending $100 monthly on a vitamin if I may never get BFP.  I am over 35, so I'm unsure if I'll ever get it, but we just started TTC last month.  
  • I went to a holistic doctor last week and brought my OTC vitamins with me.  She said that some bodies can't turn folic acid into folate, so I should take a vitamin with folate in it just in case.  She prescribed one that also has DHA.  I went to the pharmacy to fill on Saturday, and my co-pay with my prescription coverage was $108 for 30 pills.  :(  As much as it'd be worth every penny if I was pregnant, I just can't see spending $100 monthly on a vitamin if I may never get BFP.  I am over 35, so I'm unsure if I'll ever get it, but we just started TTC last month.  
    Wow, that's crazy expensive! And even if you got pregnant that's nine more months of vitamins! Could you adjust your usual meals to include folate-rich foods instead?
  • I found a pack of prenatal vitamins with a bottle of dha supplements at Target that costs $17. I also recommend asking your pharmacy if they have any discounts on prenatals. A pharmacy at a local grocery store by me gives them out for free with a prescription.