October 2015 Moms
Options

Baby girl name delimma

meghan5010meghan5010 member
edited June 2015 in October 2015 Moms
I'm expecting a baby girl and have loved a name for many years and it is starting to get popular. I fell in love with the name because it wasn't popular and we don't want a popular name. My husband also recently found out a girl he went to HS with (who he isn't a fan of) named their baby girl this name. This name is our #1 choice but now we are not so sure. Has anyone else felt this way about a name? Would you suggest we stick with the name we love or go with a different name?

Re: Baby girl name delimma

• Options
    Due to social media I think we're all hyper aware of who names their child what. Are y'all in the same social circle has the new mama? Will your kids ever run around together? If not, I don't think it matters. Very rarely can we guarantee that our babes will have the monopoly on a name :)

That said, I saw on FB that my high school boyfriend and his wife named their baby girl Harper, which was at the top of our list at the beginning of pregnancy. I crossed it off after that because it just made me weirded out. However, I don't think many people would have made the connection because we run in very different crowds now.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think a lot of people have this dilemma. Names wax and wane in popularity. If you hear a name and think, "that's a great name and not very popular", probably lots of people are thinking the same thing. 

My husband and I are having this same debate because the one girl name we have been able to agree upon has risen sharply in popularity lately. I don't really like that it was a top 20 name last year, but also don't want to pick a name I don't like just because it's not popular.

Right now I'm leaning towards going with the popular name, but part of it is that it's the only one we've both liked :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agreeing with morganabyrd. My DH and I are in the same boat. We have loved Lilli and Ellie for years but we're afraid she'll be the 6th one in her class because the names are so popular. My DH also loves Aeris but it will always be mispronounced and mispelled. As someone who has a name that no one can spell, this is a concern of mine.

I've decided not to care about popularity or the fact that my family friend's daughter is named Ellie. We're going to name her the name that we love the most. Besides no matter what you do your name will probably be popular at some point. Good luck!
  • Options
    For me it depends on if it's classic popular vs trendy popular.  A classic name is timeless and despite popularity it could still be a person at any stage of life and won't date the child.  If it's recently become VERY popular like say Aria I would not use it due to trendyness.  So basically it comes down to the name for me. 

• Options
    Thanks! It's just tough because I have loved this name for almost 10 years and now that we are having a girl I was so excited to use the name! We don't run in the same social circle of this other baby but I'm still afraid that my husband will think of this other baby if we name our baby the same. The name is Ella which I feel is a timeless/classy name but it has gained popularity!
  • Options
    cmjn94cmjn94 member
    I love the name Ella! It's been on my list for several years (but I'm having a boy). I say if it's important to you, it doesn't matter what anyone else does.