November 2015 Moms

Car accident question..

ok so my car was parked outside of my apartment and somebody hit the back (thankfully no damage but a few small cracks on my bumper) but the car seat my husband bought (he found a great deal on a click connect car seat for $35 at Babies r us) was in the car in the box.. Should we go get a new car seat even though it's in the box and unopened?? I know they say to replace it after an accident.. Wasn't sure if it was different because it's still in the box..

Re: Car accident question..

• I don't think since it didn't have to use any of its safety measures like it would if a baby was in it and it was strapped into a seat that you would have to. I would think that it would be more like if someone dropped it while it was still in the box. If there is no damage on the outside I would think it would be fine. Also was it just a fender bender? If it was the box probay barely moved.
  • I wasn't in the car so I'm not sure what happened but it was in the back seat and it didn't even move... The box still looks the same.. I figured it was still ok but I still wanted to ask since I know people say when you get into any kind of accident to get a new car seat..
  • Loading the player...
  • No, that's not necessary. As long as the box didn't move and wasn't damaged, it should be fine.
  • It should be fine since it's still in the box.
    If you're claiming it on your insurance you might want to ask them. They might cover the cost of a new one if you're concerned. They usually err on the side of caution.
  • I was just in a fender bender recently. It should be in the owners manual for the child seat when it needs to be replaced in a car accident. These assume your car seat is in use, but I think you could apply the same since it was in your back seat.
    You can also check the nhtsa guidelines for when to replace a car seat after a accident.
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm
    Honestly my car seat manual said to replace after any accident, but I went with the nhtsa guidelines and did not replace it. I had just over $1000 in damage to my rear bumper, so I was not too worried about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pontot31 said:

It should be fine since it's still in the box.
    If you're claiming it on your insurance you might want to ask them. They might cover the cost of a new one if you're concerned. They usually err on the side of caution.

I decided not to just because when my car was broken into it took them 3 months to get me a new back window for my car.. I can't even imagine a bumper!! But I did ask my aunt because she use to work for State Farm and she said even if it was open if it didn't move it should still be ok since I didn't have any major damage..
  • If you're really concerned, try calling the car seat's company. I'm sure they could give you a concrete answer specific to that make and model.
  • ash413ash413 member
    I think it is fine, it probably goes through more during shipping, and stocking at the store.
  • You ladies are awesome.. Thank you all so much for all of your comments!! I know it was probably a stupid question but I'm glad you made me not feel like an idiot of asking.. You ladies truly are awesome.. Tacos for everybody!!
  • Taco? Did you say taco?
  • helskos said:

Taco? Did you say taco?

Why yes.. Yes I did
  • If you're really concerned, try calling the car seat's company. I'm sure they could give you a concrete answer specific to that make and model.

Definitely this!
  • I'd say it was probably handled much rougher by the delivery truck and warehouse workers than the accident!
  • elbouelbou member
    If you're really concerned, try calling the car seat's company. I'm sure they could give you a concrete answer specific to that make and model.

This is exactly what I was going to say as well.

Now about those tacos....do you deliver??? ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• elbou said:

If you're really concerned, try calling the car seat's company. I'm sure they could give you a concrete answer specific to that make and model.

This is exactly what I was going to say as well.

Now about those tacos....do you deliver??? ;)

Lol no but I wish Taco Bell did lol all my baby wants is crunchy tacos and ice cream from mc Donald's..