August 2015 Moms

Rooming in?

I read entirely too much (which is usually the worst!). I was curious, what do the STM+ think about rooming in? Did you keep your baby in your hospital room overnight or did you have the nurses take him/her to the nursery? I feel like I definitely want her in my sight at all times, or else I'd be paranoid, but from what I've gathered, most moms, nurses, and doctors say you need the rest. What did ya'll do? And will you be doing things differently this time around?

Re: Rooming in?

• I've always roomed in, and will be doing the same this time around (God willing).  I can't stand the thought of the nurses giving my baby formula or sugar water when I am perfectly capable of breast feeding (they did this to my sister without asking her). Plus, I'm paranoid about someone stealing my baby or them swapping her with another baby.  

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hospital doesn't even staff the nursery. If you don't want to room in you have to specifically ask. I personally want LO with me the whole time and think I will sleep better with her with me. After not having LOs with me and being in special care, I'm really looking forward to having LO with me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our baby will room with us and never leave our side. We did the same with DS. This is what worked for our family. I've BTDT-I'll get rest. Also, even if we did send baby to a nursery the nurses would still be waking me up at all hours to *check* things.

DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Seh114Seh114 member
    My hospital's policy is that unless someone (you or DH) is awake all night long the baby has to go to the nursery. With DS they brought him every time he was hungry, which was about every 2 hours so I could bf. Once he finished they took him back to the nursery until the next feeding.
  • Thank goodness!! I was just hoping I wasn't the only crazy/paranoid one worried about someone stealing my LO! I just feel like we would be more comfortable this way.
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited June 2015
    My hospital's policy is all babies room in. You don't have the option of sending them to a nursery.
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member

My hospital doesn't even staff the nursery. If you don't want to room in you have to specifically ask. I personally want LO with me the whole time and think I will sleep better with her with me. After not having LOs with me and being in special care, I'm really looking forward to having LO with me.

I don't think I would be able to sleep either If my baby wasn't with me.
  • I want my baby in the room with me for every minute. Except when they take him for his circumcision and other infant tests. It's a way for me personally to bond with him early on, no interruptions. He's my baby, not theirs lol
  • With us all the time. As @CaliforniaDream87 said , the nurses are coming in your room so often to check things that you still really aren't getting full uninterrupted sleep.

• My hospital doesn't have a nursery outside of "special care" or the NICU. All babies room in.
  • I'll room in, but depending on my labor I wouldn't be opposed to sending baby to the nursery if I feel like I really need 2 hours of uninterrupted rest. I'm assuming I won't need it this time around but I never say never. My hospital is super pro breast feeding and wouldn't feed her without asking me. They don't even give a pacifier without asking first.
  • My hospital also does not have a nursery. Unless the baby is in the NICU they stay with you.

If I was given the option I would also keep her with me. Have to start getting used to taking care of a newborn sooner or later...

• Baby will room in with us as well. The only time they took my first son was when he got his hearing checked. He was gone for a few hours and I started to panic and had them bring him back.

• I hope none of you guys watch Jane the Virgin... all those baby snatching fears :-S
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh, I definitely have them @emmacake08 .. I told my husband LO doesn't leave our sight!! I was just asking to make sure my fears weren't irrational!! And I haven't watched that but it looks funny! Haha
  • Basically the only time DD was not in the room with me was when I was showering or they were doing some sort of test (like the hearing or car seat check).  Otherwise she was with me, which was exactly how I wanted it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thj417Thj417 member
    My hospital actually got rid of their nursery so to speak. All babies room in now there. I had my boy right next to me - and I felt more confidence in myself as a new mom knowing I was there for him.

And... Are you really going to sleep that great in a hospital anyway!!!
  • My hospital encourages rooming in and I had every intention of doing that, but after being there for 48+ hours before DS was even born and only getting a couple of hours of sleep during that time, I decided it best to keep him in the nursery so I could get some sleep. I really didn't want to but around 1 or 2 in the morning and not being able to get him to take his bottle and being in tears, I finally decided it was best for both of us. I hope to do things differently this time but it just depends on the situation.
  • Definitely rooming in. Not only is it the hospital's policy, but I have waited 9 months to meet my little girl, no way am I letting her leave my sight once she is here!
  • Baby will probably room in most of the time. Maaaayyybeee not the second night since I will be by myself and recovering from a c-section so she might stay on the nursery and be brought in for feedings. But idk, it will depend on how I'm feeling/recovering. Not afraid of baby snatching. My hospital takes huge precautions in avoiding that.
  • A lot of hospitals do rooming in now. Saves money. My daughter was only away from me for her car seat challenge
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Third kid, third hospital not one has had a nursery.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• WeringWering member
    Honestly, I didn't want to room in with my first baby. We sent her to the nursery 6 hours after she was born so that we could get some rest. However, I was nursing and found that it was VERY difficult to maintain a schedule with her because I was at the discretion of the nurses. Despite my asking not to, they did provide her a pacifier at a day old. Additionally, I had to call multiple times to have the baby delivered to me to nurse. First time baby came two hours later after I called (despite multiple times) and second time, after an hour, I pulled my 8 hour post c-section body out of the bed, walked to the nursery and started banging on the door for the baby. After that, we roomed in. 

Depends on how much control you want.
  • HulerHuler member
    edited July 2015
    Hmm half my post got cut off? Our hospital does rooming in but has a nursery as well. With #1, he was a NICU baby so rooming in wasn't an option. With #2, he roomed with me with the exception of about seven hours the last night. My nurse told me to take an Ambien, send him to the nursery, and enjoy my last solid night of sleep. As a BTDT mom that hadn't slept well in months and remembered those first twelve weeks with a newborn, I was fully on board. :) (Just to keep it real -- it was glorious. And yes I was just excited to meet my baby as everyone else ;)). I had pumped some colostrum already, and honestly, with my preemie firstborn, we spent the first nine days with him in the NICU where he received mostly bottles since I couldnt be there 24/7, and he figured out breastfeeding just fine so I wasn't concerned about seven hours. And yes, I got my baby back. ;) I will probably do the same with this one if it's an option.
  • e1223e1223 member
    My hospital doesn't even have a nursery anymore. They did with my daughter (born 5.5 years ago) and I did send her for one glorious 3 hour stretch each night, and they brought her back to nurse, did not give her a paci, etc. No nursery with my son 3.5 years ago and thus we left after one night. Pretty nervous about this time needing a c-section, because I'm sure at least that first night it'll be extremely difficult to get up and I don't necessarily want to force my husband to stay there with me on a cot for the entire 3-4 day stay.
  • I roomed in with both of my babies and will again with this one. My hospital strongly suggests it as well. If you walk by the nursery, there are no babies in there. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My son roomed in with me. I loved it!
    I'll be doing the same thing this time. They'll only allow her to room with me if someone(like hubby) are in the room bc I'll be having a c-section.
    Praying we'll have that option at least if there aren't complications!
  • My hospital doesnt have a nursery. We had to room in but since its such a small hospital, if I asked them too, they would take her out by the desk for 2 hours so I could sleep. We were also right next to the nurses station so I was still able to see her through the door

Baby #2 is due

August 26, 2015

• Our hospital encourages rooming in but only for *brief* periods. From the time my water broke until I had my son is was about 20 hours, which meant my husband and I had been awake for 20+ hours by the time we got settled into the maternity ward. And 3 of those hours were spent pushing him out! The nurses offered to take him for an hour so we could both rest. They put notes on his bassinet that he was breastfeed and to bring him back to nurse or when he woke up. Looking back I'm kind of surprised I took them up on the offer but I'm sure I was delirious from exhaustion (and passing out). Aside from that hour, he spent the rest of the time in the hospital with us.
  • It's never been an option. Unless baby has a medical issue that needs to be addressed outside the room, baby does not leave you.