Multiples
Options

Birthing choices?

Hey all. I'm carrying triplets at 37 weeks today way 'overdue' from what triplets are supposed to be kept at according to almost everyone. My three boys are in position suitable for a vaginal birth. I've discussed this with my midwife and we are going ahead with a water home birth. Do you think its a right choice I made? Wanted the comfort of my own home but this carries the risk too, rushing to a hospital might be a problem too. Just lying down every day waiting for my little boys to come.. It's my first pregnancy and it has been a awfully tiring one.

How have your experiences with multiples been? How did you guys make your birthing choice?

Re: Birthing choices?

• Options
    Still pregnant with my twins, but I was told even if I elected for a vaginal birth, I would be in an OR with the potential for an immediate c/s if needed due to baby B positioning or distress. The idea of a home birth scares the bejesus out of me with the risk for complications.

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    A home birth with multiples makes me nervous. So much can change so quick. I was able to deliver my twins vaginally but had to be in an OR room incase interventions were needed. They also did an ultrasound after baby A was born to see if B was still head down. They birth of the girls went really well without complications for them but I had a significant tear in my cervix and ended up losing 2L of blood through a hemorrhage and needed conscious sedation post birth to fix the tear. I can't imagine the stress of transfering to a hospital after birth.
    I wish you a beautiful and healthy birth wherever you decide to have your babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I would not do a home birth with twins let alone triplets. There's so much that could change in a matter a minutes that for me would be way too risky. I opted for a csection for my twins even though baby a was head down because I didn't want to risk a complication with baby b (he was transverse) and I didn't want to end up with a double whammy delivery. You just never know what will happen and for me it would be way too scary and stressful if I were to have to quickly transfer to a hospital in the midst of everything. I loved my stay at the hospital. I was there 3 nights and wanted to stay longer!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, triplets bring along enough of a risk and I wouldn't be willing to add to it by having a home birth. I would probably see if my midwife were willing to try to give me the water birth experience in a hospital setting.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm kind of surprised that a midwife would even do a home birth with triplets- this seems like a no no to me. As previous posters have said, if I choose to try a vaginal delivery with my twins it will be in the OR in case of an emergency section. I personally think the risks far out weigh the benefits in the case of triplets, but you and your midwife know your situation best. Best of luck with whatever you decide!!
  • Options
    I just delivered my twin boys a week & a half ago & had to be in the OR even though we wanted vaginal births. They had a team for each baby, did an ultrasound on baby B to make sure he was head down after A was born & a nurse was holding him in place. I also hemoraged after they were born & required 1 liter of blood & spent 3 hours in recovery.

I can't imagine having them at home, just because multiples are high risk anyway, but I wish you luck if you decide that is the right choice for you.
  • Options
    DrD30DrD30 member
    This sounds like a very very bad idea. I don't know how things would've turned out for my boy if the NICU team wasn't there to help him after birth. Things can change in an instant during a delivery.

I also have an acquaintance who was in the NICU at the same time. She had an uncomplicated delivery of a single baby at home with a midwife. The baby quit breathing and the midwife was unable to resuscitate her. She will have severe brain damage that could have possibly been avoided if qualified people with the equipment needed.

As a medical professional I think it's irresponsible for your midwife to even offer a home birth. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    I wholeheartedly agree with previous posters. I can (somewhat) understand the allure of a home birth but why risk it with triplets? Multiples are a whole new ball game and modern medicine is the way to go, in my humble opinion. Why risk horrible complications for yourself or babies? Simply to tell people you birthed at home? This may be rude but no one cares enough to put yourself & babies at risk.
    DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    Where do you live? Most of the time midwives won't even deliver twins, even in a hospital setting. Let alone triplets.

I'm all for homebirthing. I think it's great. Still, with a high-risk pregnancy, it might be better to consider a hospital setting. I wanted to deliver my twins vaginally without medication. Had they been a singleton, I would have opted to home birth. Because they were twins, I delivered in the hospital "just in case." Guess what? The worst case scenario happened to me. I delivered baby A vaginally without medication, but baby B got stuck. I had to have a c-section. I'm glad I was where I needed to be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker