August 2015 Moms

Spelling of a name....Which one do you think is right?

So, DH got to name this baby, as he voted girl and I voted boy.  Long story short, he wants to name her Emma Leigh.  I'm fine with it, it's a cute name.  Now here comes the crazy part... Our pediatrician said she's never seen it like that, and as far as her records will show, it will say "Emmaleigh". Well, to me, that's not the same name, but when I asked my MIL and grandMIL, they both say that it is the same name and that we should give her a middle name.  To me, Leigh is the middle name.  Am I just not seeing it the right way, or are they not seeing it the right way?  Is there a right way?  

Help!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Spelling of a name....Which one do you think is right?

• You're right- Emma Leigh. Emmaleigh is one name- so If you did that, I feel like you'll have to pick an additional name as a middle name, which will create such a long name! I would go with your gut, not the pediatrician's opinion!
  • I think it depends on what you will call her. If you call her Emma then Leigh would be the middle name. If you're going to call her Emma Leigh then I would consider it Emmaleigh all one name, like Emily, and choose a middle name.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm with you...Emma first name, Leigh middle name. If hubby wants EmmaLeigh then spell it Emily!
  • Emmaleigh would be her first name and you'd have to add a middle name, but if you name her Emma Leigh then she'll have a first and middle name. Emmaleigh would be like naming your daughter Emily whereas naming her Emma Leigh, her name is just Emma. I like the first name Emma a lot more than Emmaleigh.

They are obviously confused. If I name my son Ethan David, and everyone wants to call him ethandavid all the time plus add a middle name, I'd be very annoyed with them!
  • She will probably go by Emmy if I'm being honest, as her sister goes by Izzy.  BUT, all of her records including her birth certificate will say Emma Leigh H(Last name). I just thought I was missing something obvious...thanks for clearing that up ladies!! Nice to know I'm not the nutso one!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love the name Emily but I only spell it one way. Emalee just because my best friend from high school spelled it that way
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member

Do her records for your other kids show Codylane, Coltonjames, and Isabellaann? Is it a middle name or not? I'm confused.

Thank you!!  That was my exact question!!  She stated that those names were obvious first/middle names, and that Emma Leigh was just a bad spelling of Emily.  It's not the same flippin name at all!!  I think I may change pedi's after this...I mean damn, she has patients with made up names of all different spellings...why f*** with my childs perfectly normal first and middle names to make them into one?  UGH!

I'm sorry but your pedi doesn't get a say, and it should go how you spell it in her records. I do love the name Emma but it could get confusing ietg the middle name Leigh and people thinking her name is Emily.
  • Emma Leigh are two different names
    so is the dr saying my first and middle name read as one? Dr's don't know everything. ~X(
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member

I don't plan on calling her by her full name (unless of course she's in trouble).  Leigh was my husbands great grandmother, so the middle name won't change.  In fact, none of it will change, except maybe which doctor we see from now on.  I still think it was incredibly rude of her to say that to me. 

I agree it was very rude!
  • I don't plan on calling her by her full name (unless of course she's in trouble).  Leigh was my husbands great grandmother, so the middle name won't change.  In fact, none of it will change, except maybe which doctor we see from now on.  I still think it was incredibly rude of her to say that to me. 

Yes that was rude. You are completely right. Give your daughter whatever separate first and middle names you like (Emma and Leigh both lovely)!

If you named your daughter Carol Lynn she would not necessarily have to be Carolyn and so on.

• We are planning on naming our baby that too! :) I definitely see it as Emma being the first name and Leigh the middle.
  • You're having the opposite problem of us. Our little girl will be Emmalyn. All on word, flows together easily. So many people say Emma Lynn. That is two separate names and not as all the same as Emmalyn.
    I agree that Emma Leigh and Emmaleigh are also different names.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your pediatrician's office is just plain rude.  They don't dictate how to write our your child's name.  Personally, I would insist on them changing it so that there is no issue with her records in the future.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I so don't understand where they are coming from! Her first name will be Emma, middle name will be Leigh. Adorable name, btw :)
  • My 12 yr old is actually named Emma Leigh, also, and i've never had an issue with people thinking her name was Emmaleigh -- that's so weird and rude of your dr!
    DD1: 3.27.2003
    DD2: 9.7.2008
    DS: 8.4.2015

• This baby will be named 'Mira Lynn' and almost every time I get 'Marilyn?' Nope! Two names, first and middle. Your husband sounds awesome :)
  • This baby will be named 'Mira Lynn' and almost every time I get 'Marilyn?' Nope! Two names, first and middle. Your husband sounds awesome :)
    Thanks...I like to think so!  And Mira Lynn is beautiful!!

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • HulerHuler member
    You are in the right, and your pedi is rude.

As a teacher, I am often exasperated and actually infuriated at some of the terrible spellings and names parents give their kids (and browsing all the birth month boards, I feel like its only getting worse!), and if I thought it was the least bit silly, I would tell you! Out of all the name atrocities being committed lately, THIS is the battle your pedi wants to pick? Dumb. (and no, it's not her place to comment on names, period, but THIS is where she decides to take a stand?!)
  • Absolutely love the name, so beautiful!
    I think it's completely up to you how you chose to spell it. I have a similar sounding name picked out for little one, Isla May. May is her middle name but I do plan on calling her by her first and middle name at the same time. (sometimes). :)
  • I like the names Emma Leigh together (as first and middle)! I, however, don't like "Emmaleigh" as an alternative to Emily.
    Your peds is crazy. Do what you want. It's a beautiful name :)
  • Emma Leigh is perfect, I love it
    Trigger Warning (LC and loss) -- 
    Married May 2008 
    Beautiful daughter Alyssa born April 23, 2011 
    Precious son Isaac born at 34 weeks in April 27, 2014 with Potters Syndrome Type 4 and Down Syndrome - trusted into the arms of Jesus after 3 hours.
    Pregnant again! Due August 8, 2015 please be healthy, little one!

(results on 2/4/15 showed no Down's and it's a girl!) Lilypie Maternity tickers