February 2016 Moms

I tested positive for cystic fibrosis.

Has any other mommys out there had this? Ftm. Scared and afraid. Lost & very confused.

Re: I tested positive for cystic fibrosis.

• I grew  up with CF... my mom  had it.   The prognosis for patients now is much much better than before and treatments are always being innovative.   It is scary but it is manageable.  Look through the CF foundation website and feel free to PM me with any questions.
  • I tested positive for the gene too with my first child. No one in my family that I know of has ever had it. My daughter is almost 7 and is perfectly healthy. I'm now pregnant with my second and hope for the same! And I'm not sure positive but I believe both you and the father would have to test positive for it. They may have you complete genetic counseling which could make you feel better about it! Good luck and don't stress I'm sure everything will be fine!
  • Loading the player...
  • ACleanLife24ACleanLife24 member
    edited June 2015
    Oh wait.. only you are positive?  Just get your DH tested... if he is as well you may want to do embreo selection (all personal choice) as if you are both carriers your child will have a 25% chance of having it.  However if your husband is not of northern European descent then the likely hood of him being a carrier is quite low.
  • I'm a carrier for CF and had some genetic and chromosomal testing done on my embryos. I am a IVF patient too so that made it easy to test. Husband came back negative for CF so it's a 1 in 1200 chance that our baby will have it. But I have heard that it's very manageable now. I stressed at first but now I feel better. Make sure to get the husband tested!
    30, DH - 41
    Married - 12/28/13
    Pregnant w/ #2
    DS - 22 Months 1/29/16
    EDD: DS 4/1/18
  • Has the father been tested yet? I believe that you have nothing to worry about unless he's a carrier too.

• I'm a carrier (found out last pregnancy) but my husband is not. Apparently it's pretty common to be a carrier. Get your husband tested to ease your fears. The only way baby could have cf is if dh carries the same gene. Even then, it would only be 25% chance since it is a recessive gene.