December 2015 Moms

Breast pump ideas?

anyone have any thoughts on breast pump brands, what's good, what's not so good, price ranges, what exactly to look for in terms of a breast pump, etc?

Re: Breast pump ideas?

• You'll want to choose type based on how often you will use it. I exclusively pumped with DS, so I invested in the top of the line Medela; it was electric and a double pump, with 15 levels of suction. It even had a belt clip and battery so you could walk around using it hands free as long as you boyght the hands free bra. I absolutely loved it and am considering the same pump this time. It was just under $400. If you are only planning to pump after nursing, a lot of moms from the O13 board said they were fine with a manual pump.
  • Miracle_MommyMiracle_Mommy member
    edited June 2015
    If you have insurance, check which brands they will pay for. You might have to get a prescription or use a medical supplier. I just found this out and I have uhc and they will pay 100% for the Medela pump. Also I made pumping bras out of older sports bras when I was a young, broke ftm and I will probably do the same this time!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had a medela for 10yrs that is still running strong. I tested a lansinoh pump for influenster last year, and it was alright. It was easy to travel with and the price tag was about $100. It didn't provide the same suction strength though, so I didn't use it a lot.
  • I got a Medela 100% free through my insurance. I choose the vender Aeroflow, and they did all the work by contacting my insurance. They sent me a price sheet of about 12 different pumps to choose from.
  • I've had my medala for 5 years and three kids and haven't had a single problem with it. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My SIL is gifting me a Medela pump. Hers was a little over $300. Check with your insurance company about their breast pump policies. :)
  • HAve you considered renting a pump? Depending on how long you plan to nurse / pump, renting might be more cost effective. I was able to rent a hospital grade pump (Ameda Elite) for a year for less than $200 through a private lactation consultant. I did get a medela pump through my insurance we well but ended up preferring the Ameda and using it almost exclusively.
  • I got a Medela from my insurance company.  I loved it and had no problems with it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers