February 2016 Moms

First Appointment

Hi! I have my first appointment next Monday. I'll be 8 weeks and 1 day. What should I expect them to do? Heart beat? Ultrasound? Just blood work?
Thanks!

Re: First Appointment

• In my first appt. for previous pregnancies we just chatted about family medical history and my symptoms. Some offices will schedule you for an ultrasound, in some you will get the doppler when you're closer to 12 weeks.

I've had a previous missed miscarriage so I told them I want an u/s and they agreed. 
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • I had my first appt. at 8 weeks too. First, she got family history, then she did an abdominal ultrasound where we saw the baby and heartbeat, then she did an internal exam (hubby had to leave room for this), then the nurse came in and took like 20 vials of blood (easier than it looked/sounds).

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have my first appoint ment tomorrow at 7 weeks. I'm getting my annual exam and she said they'll confirm the pregnancy. I'm thinking it'll just be a blood test, but I'm really hoping they'll take a look inside to check on everything.
  • i have my 1st appt on 7/13 and i will be 8 weeks. I was told it will be just a nurses appt and will get a script for blood work. i believe with a "normal" pregnancy they dont do an u/s until between 9-12 weeks. mine is through a womens center at a hospital so they may not do any testing in their actual office-just send you to another part of the hosp i would guess. Even though this is #3 im still anxous for that first u/s. Im secretly hoping for twin girls since we have two boys 8 & 4 but my hubby would die! lol. will find out soon enough!
  • I had my first appt. at 8 weeks too. First, she got family history, then she did an abdominal ultrasound where we saw the baby and heartbeat, then she did an internal exam (hubby had to leave room for this), then the nurse came in and took like 20 vials of blood (easier than it looked/sounds).

I should say that the office - when scheduling the appt. thought I was 9 weeks based on my lmp - they didn't know I had ovulated a week late ... But I think an u/s at 8-9 weeks is normal. I'm healthy and not considered high-risk.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It depends entirely on your provider and your insurance company. Last time, I had an ultrasound, an internal exam, they took blood and a full history. This time, I just peed in a cup and we talked about my previous pregnancy and what I wanted this one to be like.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Agree with previous poster--it depends on the practice. With my first pregnancy they did an internal exam, did a pregnancy test and just answered some questions that I had. Then I had to go and get blood work done at the lab within two weeks from that appointment. 

This time, I just had my first appointment today at 7.5 weeks and they did a pregnancy test, asked if I had any questions and then did a vaginal ultra sound. I won't get blood work done until my next appointment in August. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ecmbecmb member
    Saw this thread and just thought I'd recommend to OP to change your screen name. A quick google search of your name leads me to believe your husbands name starts with a D and you live in a state that starts with a P. I'm not crazy but just wanted to point out the importance of Internet safety

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• ecmbecmb member
    To your question, my first appt is in 20 days when I'll be 8+4. I'll get an ultrasound and more blood work. (They checked my betas after the first positive test due to my previous MC)

Me: 32  Hubby: 31

Married 12/29/12

Started TTC July 2014

Miscarriage August 2014

Emmett born February 2016

Expecting Baby #2 in August 2017

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/544e80

• bbax44bbax44 member
    I had my first appt today! She did give me an us, to my surprise. It was hard to see my little peanut because machine was so fuzzy, and the midwife actually said "the skinnier the girl the better we can see".... geez lady I'm not that big. But we did get to see a little heartbeat, couldn't get a fhr due to the fact we could hardly see, so she ordered me a dating us at the diagnostic image center and ordered labs also. Other than that she did pap/physical exam, told me dos and donts. And they'll see me in a month. I am 7w4d today!
  • It depends on your office and insurance. I had an ultrasound to determine gestational age and check for a heartbeat since they might not be able to get one on a doppler that early. I also had an exam and went over general first trimester stuff.