January 2016 Moms

12 weeks should I tell my boss? (Pic inside)

I am 12 weeks 1 day today and I walked past a mirror and I said wow I really look pregnant today... In your opinion would you spill the beans????

Re: 12 weeks should I tell my boss? (Pic inside)

• Omg your bumpie is so cute. Totally your decision, but doesn't look like you are going to be able to hide it unless you wear a more baggy shirt. Too cute!

• sck601sck601 member
    It's up to you when you want to share your news. If you want to hide it longer, get some flowy tops!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • ashs88ashs88 member
    12 weeks is when a lot of people decide to start telling the world they're pregnant. That is when the risk of miscarriage is generally considered to be extremely low. I am at 11 weeks now and told my boss last week because there is a lot going on at work right now and wanted him to know just in case, and also so he'd know why I have to leave early some days for appointments. I plan to tell everyone else at work after my next ultrasound next week.
  • Your bump is SO cute!!! I would definitely say that your boss probably already has an idea... You definitely look pregnant! Is this your first pregnancy? I'm a FTM and I can't wait for a bump!
  • @hishipman yes this is my first! I think it could be the top as well it's very clingy and tight! But it's like it just popped up out of no where lol thank you! How many weeks are you?
  • So cute! I wish my bump looked like a baby bump-I just look like I had one too many cookies! :-)
    I told my boss earlier than most (9 weeks). I'm a teacher and my state doesn't offer maternity leave (and it's hard to get a long-term substitute) so I wanted to let him know ahead of time so that we can plan ahead (plus it was the last day of school, and I didn't want to come back from summer break 20 weeks pregnant and say, "surprise!" :) )
    I'd tell your boss whenever you feel comfortable. I had my first appointment at 9 weeks, and once I heard the heartbeat and had the ultrasound, I felt like it was "safe" to let people know. Good luck!
  • SovvySovvy member
    I mean, if you're dressing like that in the office then yes. If you're wearing a more hideable shirt then you're probably fine!

pregnancy #1 :: daughter lost to chromosomal abnormality at 18 weeks
    pregnancy #2 :: son, born Aug 2011
    pregnancy #3 :: due Jan 2016
  • Like that? Okkkkkk it's just a shirt I guess I didn't realize how fitted it was until I put it on. But yea you're right flowwy shirts would hide it longer!
  • I won't be telling til I'm showing which, if my previous kids are any indication, won't be til 16 weeks or so. I just hate the unsolicited judgment and advice that starts when people know.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Plus I'm too tired to do laundry so I grabbed what I could find
  • Your shirt is definitely made for pregnant bellies so it's giving you away whether you're ready or not. You're bump is super cute and very defined. My school whispered around for weeks before I told anyone. And I knew they were. One teacher kept calling me a celebrity with a big purse. She would comment on my bag, my school bag. I just wasn't ready. It's still months away so there's no planning now. If you're comfortable, tell. If not, don't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SummerOHSummerOH member
    edited June 2015
    I don't think she meant it rudely. Just that if you are going to wear fitted shirts that show off your bump (which is fine and something I do once I'm "out") , you will probably want to tell earlier.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• @SummerOH yea I don't want the stares and questions yet I'm not ready for the attention. I usually stick to myself at work I have no work friends so I really have no one to tell besides my boss and one person on my team lol
  • @mrussello lol the lady with the big purse that's funny! Thank you! I'll def wait and funny thing is this isn't even a maternity shirt it's my pre pregnancy top lol This thing popped up from no where!
  • This is the cutest bump ever. I have total bump envy! I want one...yesterday.  I say announce whenever you are comfortable, but probably sooner rather than later if you're not quite ready to maternity shop.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think its the ruching on the shirt! That to me is a flag for maternity wear. I think you can still hide it if you dress a little differently. Not flowy tops per se, just not with the ruching :)
    About me: Daughter turns 4 in Feb 2016... second baby due in mid-Jan 2016!   
  • @Francookie thanks I'll try to remember that
  • I think two things come into play- what's your relationship with your boss/office?  and when was your last appointment?  Personally, I have a great relationship with my boss (I've been here for almost 5 years and I've been married for 2...I don't think anyone will be THAT shocked) but I haven't seen my doctor since week 7 and he told me at that appointment I was high risk.  As others said , once people find out the questions and advise start flooding in:)  I'm not ready for that until I'm not confident with my little bean.  I have my next appointment in a couple weeks, I plan on telling work soon after.  I took off for a week once and let's just say, the work suffered, so I'm trying to give the office/myself as much time to plan for a couple months off as POSSIBLE.

However, look at you!  Typical preggo stomach looking like a super cute mommy-to-be! I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could physically SEE the little guy!
  • You look ADORABLE! Your bump is so cute! I think it depends on your relationship with your boss as well as if you want coworkers to know yet, and if not, if your boss can keep his/her mouth shut until you're ready to share with them. I told my immediate manager at 8 weeks, because I wanted her to be able to call me out on if I was slacking before the client did. (Because pregnancy brain is so real!) She also was one of the few people I told when I had a loss, so I knew she was confidential. Now that I'm 12 weeks, I just told her boss and one of my account directors yesterday. For me, it felt so good to finally tell! Also makes it all feel a little more real. I will be telling the people on my account in our team meeting today and I know the news will spread to everyone after that. I say tell who you want when you feel ready, and it'll all work itself out. Good luck!
  • @mcrane8 @PreggoInTheCity hi ladies thank you both! Well my actual manager who is located in London went on maternity leave last year she had triplets And she isn't married I think she would understand my situation better if she was here BUT we have a sit in manager who is in Manila so technically neither one of them can see me physically but I want to make them aware for health reasons! I've been here 2 and a half years and i just had my mid year review and everything was perfect with my work. I have one person on my team and she's my age planning a wedding and I really don't want to answer her questions, I don't think she would understand. Technically I don't have a physical boss me and her just coordinate things together and as long as the two of us are ok with it then its find with my boss in Manila.

But the catcher is I don't think my actual boss in London is coming back after her leave is over. Also our Europe team has suffered two lost for maternity leaves lol

I really don't know why I'm worried I guess... But also like you said I haven't heard baby's heartbeat Since 10 weeks so I think I'll wait until my check up at 14 weeks hopefully I can hide it 2 more weeks!

I'm not ready yet I guess :(
  • @sgraham1589 if you're not ready, you're not ready! 2 week may feel like a long way away...but it isnt:)