July 2015 Moms

Induction Frustrations

i do realize that being induced means your trying to make your body/baby do something it's not ready for. But I am slightly frustrated/discouraged. I was induced yesterday morning with the cervical. 24 hours ago - and still nothing. My cervix has softened but it's still closed up like Fort Knox. I'm 39 weeks and a FTM. I'm just hoping to hear from some others who were induced and what their expierence was, and if anyone has any tips on progressing this.

Re: Induction Frustrations

• Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. Eat before they go to porcini. Cervidil dilated me one centimeter more than I went in with for almost a full day. My water broke shortly after pitocin was started. A few hours later I went from a 3 to a 9 so quick they didn't believe me. Good luck.
  • I was dilated at 1cm when they started cervidil. Didn't do a whole lot, started pitocin in the morning, still not a lot of action. Actually stopped everything after 24 hours, let me eat and shower. Dilated to 4 overnight on my own, started pitocin again, by noon still nothing. They broke my water, dilated to 5 quickly then stalled again. By 330 on Tuesday (I was induced on a Sunday night) they decided to do a c section. It was long and terrible. If I could have a redo I'd never do it again. Hope it turns out better for you! I was 40+1 btw when induced. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • They placed Cervidil the night prior for me. It didn't do much other than give me mild contractions. The next morning, they started Pitocin around 7am. Doc broke my water around 11am and I finally reached 4cm in the early afternoon. Once I was at 4cm, they let me get the epidural, which relaxed me and allowed me to dilate the rest of the way fairly quickly. I pushed for 30 mins and had my daughter around 8pm with an episiotomy. Overall, not a bad experience at all!

I would love to go into labor on my own this time, but if I have to be induced again, I will be more than willing. My family has a history of HUGE babies and I'm not sure I would have been able to have a vaginal birth with my DD if my doc had not induced me a few days before my EDD!
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • That is a bit early for an induction IMO at 39 weeks. Unless you were 41+ and complications, why induce? And then you introduce problems for momma and baby. my SIL was induced early and her body was not at all ready for labor...barely effaced, baby not descended-which resulted in an unfortunate C-Section. I am being induced by my own will at 39 weeks this time around- but I am already 0 station, 90% effaced and 3 cm dialated-so for me I see it as getting the (scheduled) show on the road already. My doctor asked about my previous induction and has been continuously giving me cervical exams each week to be sure my body is ready. I have expressed if there was ANY doubt I couldn't deliver her vaginally, I'd rather wait it out.

I was induced with my DD for sudden elevated BP at 40 weeks. It was best because of my health concerns and my doctor said I was a good candidate for induction. I got started at 12am and gave birth at 12:30pm...12.5 hours.

Just my advice :-)
  • Have any of you been induced with Cytotec? I'm 37.4 and due to elevated BP and not a ton of fetal movement (but he's never moved that much anyway) they wanted to induce me today. I am getting a 2nd opinion this afternoon because I really don't think BP 133/87 is super high and I stil feel him move at least 1x daily. Is Cervidil better than Cytotec?
  • My BP is 132/80 and my doc would like her to come sooner than later but said she can't induce until 39 weeks. I'm 38 weeks tomorrow. I would think the BP would need to be higher to consider in necessary?? I'm 4cm, 80% effaced and 0 station so I guess my body would do ok with induction (if she wants to do it at week 39)
  • I'm due tomorrow but there are no signs he is coming. They won't induce me til at least a week after his due date.
  • klirwin82 said:

Have any of you been induced with Cytotec? I'm 37.4 and due to elevated BP and not a ton of fetal movement (but he's never moved that much anyway) they wanted to induce me today. I am getting a 2nd opinion this afternoon because I really don't think BP 133/87 is super high and I stil feel him move at least 1x daily. Is Cervidil better than Cytotec?

Every where I have read and from what other moms have mentioned is that Cervidil is much better than Cytotec. I have even read that Cytotec shouldn't even be used for induction purposes.