February 2016 Moms

Home Birth?

Anyone had or thinking of having their baby at home? This is my second pregnancy, and I am seriously considering a home birth for a variety of reasons. It is a somewhat common practice in Ireland, and if I'd arrived here in time to book in with a private midwife I would have done it the first time around. I know what to expect, the maternity hospital is right around the corner, and I've heard amazing things, but I am still freaked out - mostly about the pain and an epidural not being available.

Re: Home Birth?

• I'd be worried that it's dangerous. Definitely not for me. Also I wouldn't want that mess in my home lol.

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • KiekKiek member
    I have several friends that have had home births. They all loved their experiences. Are you able to hire a doula? Midwives and doulas are trained to help with pain management. Also the midwife will have everything cleaned up before she leaves and you can just focus on binding with your sweet little in the comfort of your own home. One of my close friends had her son at home back in February and she said her midwife cleaned her and the baby up and tucked them into bed together. My friend said it was such a great experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've read many stories and talked to a few people who have done it, but it's not for me.

The big thing for a lot of people is that a home birth midwife isn't covered by most insurance companies.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• My mom had her first 2 at a hospital and her last 2 at home and she loved her home births so much better than being in the hospital. She had really quick labors her last 2 times so it was so much easier to just have them at home with a midwife. I personally don't think I could have a home birth but for some people it is a better option. Also I'm pretty sure her home births were much cheaper than having them in the hospital. (Not sure if she had insurance or not).

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom had her first 2 at a hospital and her last 2 at home and she loved her home births so much better than being in the hospital. She had really quick labors her last 2 times so it was so much easier to just have them at home with a midwife. I personally don't think I could have a home birth but for some people it is a better option. Also I'm pretty sure her home births were much cheaper than having them in the hospital. (Not sure if she had insurance or not).
    I paid about $2,000 total, including insurance premiums for a uncomplicated vaginal delivery in a hospital; a friend of mine paid $10,000 for a midwife homebirth out of pocket. But to put that into perspective, if I did not have insurance, my delivery would have been over $30,000 for my care and day and a half hospital stay.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• My friend had a home birth in January and said the experience was amazing. Here, home births are fully covered. I have heard that because you are at home and more relaxed, the pain is much more manageable.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not for me due to high risk and a super paranoid husband but I know many people who have done it and had wonderful experiences. Birthing centers are also a great option around here.
  • magnumJ said:

My mom had her first 2 at a hospital and her last 2 at home and she loved her home births so much better than being in the hospital. She had really quick labors her last 2 times so it was so much easier to just have them at home with a midwife. I personally don't think I could have a home birth but for some people it is a better option. Also I'm pretty sure her home births were much cheaper than having them in the hospital. (Not sure if she had insurance or not).

I paid about $2,000 total, including insurance premiums for a uncomplicated vaginal delivery in a hospital; a friend of mine paid $10,000 for a midwife homebirth out of pocket. But to put that into perspective, if I did not have insurance, my delivery would have been over $30,000 for my care and day and a half hospital stay.

That's weird! I was considering a midwife but her fees were a whole cheaper than that. $4500 but they had discounts that would bring me down to $3000. We did a comparison with my husbands work insurance and we would end up paying a ton more with them for a hospital. Crazy! I was surprised I qualified for Medicaid but I did so I'm sticking with an OB just because it's our cheapest option. :/ Hope I don't end up with another c/s.

• magnumJ said:

My mom had her first 2 at a hospital and her last 2 at home and she loved her home births so much better than being in the hospital. She had really quick labors her last 2 times so it was so much easier to just have them at home with a midwife. I personally don't think I could have a home birth but for some people it is a better option. Also I'm pretty sure her home births were much cheaper than having them in the hospital. (Not sure if she had insurance or not).

That's weird! I was considering a midwife but her fees were a whole cheaper than that. $4500 but they had discounts that would bring me down to $3000. We did a comparison with my husbands work insurance and we would end up paying a ton more with them for a hospital. Crazy! I was surprised I qualified for Medicaid but I did so I'm sticking with an OB just because it's our cheapest option. :/ Hope I don't end up with another c/s.

Ya my hospital bill was insane even with insurance (I did have a csection with twins though so that's probably why) but I wanna say my mom only paid like $1000 or so with her home births. Granted that was 20 years ago so I'm sure it's changed a lot but I figured it was still cheaper to go the home birth route! I'm hoping I don't end up with a csection again too!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KiekKiek member
    I'm going to a birth center with a midwife. She charges $4200 for everything including photography. With my husband's insurance w we'd probably pay close to $5000 just for the birth, not including lab work and co-pays for all the appointments. So for us this will be a cheaper option.
  • My sister just delivered last week at home with a midwife. It was $2400. She's 40 and this is her 4th, but her last delivery was 10 years ago. Everything went great and she loved it. I'm considering it, but I am 8w4d with my first so I'm likely going the midwife direction, but I'll likely deliver in a hospital.
  • Home births are SO not a option for us because insurance doesn't cover it. I pay a straight $200 co-pay for my labor/stay in a hospital. It's a no-brainer for which one we'll do but I wish home births were covered here. I would definitely consider it if it were even slightly covered. I have heard being at home makes the no-medicine pain a lot more manageable and that labor goes a lot quicker because of it.

• I'm definitely leaning towards it. Thanks mamas. Cost and insurance are not issues since we live in a land of nationalized healthcare, and I think the HSE prefers it because you are not taking up a bed in the hospital! Just need to psych myself up...
  • My insurance covers it. My house is a rental and I am not sure my landlord would okay a birth tub on our brand new carpet so we're doing it at the birth center. I think if we buy a house, which is our plan we will do it at home.
  • I hope no one chooses a home birth just to save money!! I had the most routine pregnancy with my son. Everything went perfectly and he was born on his due date. However, after delivery I had extreme unexpected hemorrhage. I'm very glad I was in a hospital where blood transfusions and emergency surgery could've been performed (thankfully the doctors got it under control before that was necessary).
  • I've had two in the hospital and my last two were born at home in a birthing tub with a midwife. They were such beautiful, uncomplicated, amazing births! The cost of everything (all prenatal appts, birth, post natal appts) was 3900.00$ It was worth every penny. Also, home birth midwives come equipped with oxygen, pitocin (in case of hemmorage) and lots of other stuff in case of an unexpected emergency.
  • wagvanwagvan member
    I am hoping/planning for it. Being 46 makes me technically high risk, but assuming all is well with baby being AMA shouldn't risk me out.  I was 41 with my last birth.

My first was a hospital with an OB, posterior baby with meds, #2-6 were CNM attended natural hospital births including #4 that was a waterbirth in the hospital. #7 was my first home waterbirth with a CNM. My hospital births were good births, natural, hands off.  But if the baby is not posterior, I go very fast so being in the car in hard labor is brutal.  My home waterbirth was amazing.  Completely pain free. And he was 10#6 with his hand by his face and his shoulders never rotate and I didn't even have a scratch or a tear.  Did I mention pain free? No kidding.  Oh trust me it was hard work and labor, but not painful at all. I wanted a home birth for a long time, but we have great insurance and pay $0 OOP for prenatal and hospital birth.  I think the homebirth was $3000 and insurance paid 1/2 after all was said and done. Having had good hospital births and getting to birth in the hospital for basically free, I'd pay $10,000 to have another home birth.  Seriously, so worth it.  My CNM teaches Doctors infant resuscitation, and carries meds for hemorrhage, O2 tanks, etc. As a low risk mom with a proven pelvis, I feel like I am as safe as can be. There are things like a cord prolapse or an abruption that could happen, but you have a midwifes undivided attention, and she should be able see that things are going badly and get you transported to the hospital.  It was so nice to be in my space, not have to be in the car in transition, be able to chop veggies for soup in the crockpot while I was in labor and climb in bed with my hubby and new baby and take a family nap after birth.  And the midwives clean up the mess. And well baby visits in the home for the first days and weeks after birth are lovely.  If I need to because of risk to my baby, I will birth in the hospital, but I will be sorely disappointed.  My home birth was the best birth experience by far, and I had good hospital experiences.
    Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
    mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
    K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would like to but i had a scary situation with my first that almost resulted in a c section so now I'm too nervous. A lot of my friends have though and have had great experiences!
  • I would LOVE to have a home birth, but likely won't. My only hold back is that I live too far from a quality hospital if there were some emergency.

• I'm strongly considering a home birth. The only draw backs that I can see are that insurance won't cover it ($3400 total for all prenatal visits and birth) and I'd have to leave my current midwife practice. Maryland just legalized home birth about 2 months ago and the laws are still really stupid. Home birth midwives can't be associated with a hospital so if you end up being admitted, they have to hand you over to someone else :(
  • I have heard great things about it but I personally won't consider it. I had a very routine, normal and healthy pregnancy last time, but ended up having issues during labor where his heartbeat kept dropping. Then he got stuck on the way out and I just remember in the chaos of pushing, the doctor telling me that he's stuck, and if we dont get him out with this next push, we need to go with an emergency c section and yelled something out to the nurses. I remember nurses running in and out of the room, and I was terrified.  Luckily, I got him out with the next push with a 3rd degree tear. I don't know that he would have made it if I was at home and I wasn't able to get him out on my own. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I would love if my coverage would pay for home birth. I have a lot of anxiety about being at the hospital and a lot of fear that over zealous doctors will prolong labor because of the stressful environment
  • Our medical coverage in Canada (at least in BC) fully covers midwives thankfully.
    I had a hospital birth with my first (just because I didn't really know any better lol) and it went fine. With my 2nd I had her at home. We are at least 45mins from the nearest hospital that I could birth at (our local one doesn't deliver unless an emergency and there is no time to transfer). My midwife was a good hour away as there was no one closer and she actually missed the birth by about 15 - 20 mins. But again everything was fine, no issues at all.
    I loved being able to use my own shower afterwards and be in the comfort of my own home.
    This baby will be a home birth as well.

Id say that if you have no medical concerns or past issues with pregnancies, definitely go with a homebirth if your comfortable with it.
    DS1 - Jan 2007
    DD - Aug 2010
    DS2 - Feb 2016

• I live in Alabama and home births performed by a midwife is illegal. It's crazy! My really good friend had to go to Mississippi to a birthing cottage to have a home birth. She loved it!
  • I'm in BC too @Mrs.Aaron, and wow reading through all the other replies I didn't realize how good we have it for coverage. I'm going with a midwife, but at the hospital. My mom is one of those people that was really not built for childbirth and her stories gave me a lot of fear about labour and delivery. I know I will be more relaxed at the hospital. But we have the choice of either home or hospital with our midwives. Lots of my friends have had home births, lots loved them, some had to transfer to hospital due to complications. I think it's just about your own comfort
  • KiekKiek member
    I met with my midwife for the first time on Monday. I was given more information in that first visit concerning birth and was given more care than I was given my entire pregnancy with my daughter at the OB office and hospital that I went to. My midwife is keeping me accountable for a healthy pregnancy. I have to keep a food log and she checks my nutrient levels at every visit. She requires my husband and I take a birth class which is covered in the fee. She brings a meal for my family the day after the baby is born when she does the first well check up. I've never felt so comfortable. I am really looking forward to my pregnancy now. I'm going to her birth center and having a water birth. I'm so excited! Plus, her fee covers a professional birth photographer which I love!
  • As you can tell by the varied responses it really depends where you're located. In the US it'll depend on your state and then if you have insurance, it will depend on your plan. If you're interested in home birth you will need to start with your insurance company (if you have one) to inquire about finding a licensed midwife (they may require you to use a certified nurse midwife aka CNM). Next you'll need to determine whether that midwife is in- or out- of network. In FL where I'm located, there was no local in-network CNM, so I was able to get a "GAP coverage exemption" and I was able to use an out-of-network CNM for in-network. I found a midwife I *love* to deliver my dd at a birth center. It cost me a $250 facility fee and the rest was covered 100% by insurance (hence why I went through the trouble to obtain a GAP extension.)

This baby I would like to use the same midwife for a home birth. She and her midwives on staff deliver hundreds of babies safely at home every year and I trust their judgement to forsee red flags for complications, and if they occur, the midwifes come equipped to medicinally shut it down and transfer to the nearest hospital.

If the lack of epidural availability scares you, look into hypnosis for childbirth. I successfully used the HypnoBabies home study course to deliver my daughter and will be using it again this time.
  • As you can tell by the varied responses it really depends where you're located. In the US it'll depend on your state and then if you have insurance, it will depend on your plan. If you're interested in home birth you will need to start with your insurance company (if you have one) to inquire about finding a licensed midwife (they may require you to use a certified nurse midwife aka CNM). Next you'll need to determine whether that midwife is in- or out- of network. In FL where I'm located, there was no local in-network CNM, so I was able to get a "GAP coverage exemption" and I was able to use an out-of-network CNM for in-network. I found a midwife I *love* to deliver my dd at a birth center. It cost me a $250 facility fee and the rest was covered 100% by insurance (hence why I went through the trouble to obtain a GAP extension.)

This baby I would like to use the same midwife for a home birth. She and her midwives on staff deliver hundreds of babies safely at home every year and I trust their judgement to forsee red flags for complications, and if they occur, the midwifes come equipped to medicinally shut it down and transfer to the nearest hospital.

If the lack of epidural availability scares you, look into hypnosis for childbirth. I successfully used the HypnoBabies home study course to deliver my daughter and will be using it again this time.

I am also using Hypnobabies and am super confident it is going to get me through my home birth. Definitely think this is the right choice for us, especially since, as expats, we don't really have anyone to mind our toddler while I'm in hospital.
  • I initially wanted to have a home birth with my first, but it's not really common in ny. As it turned out I had a very complicated pregnancy and ended up having a c section before I ever went into labor because of a problem with the placenta. I'm having a scheduled c section this time, because I'm having twins & have a history of issues. It's kind of a bummer though, because I think it would be such a better experience to be at home. I say if your pregnancy is uncomplicated and you live in an area where the midwives are experienced with home births, go for it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • Btw anyone else watch Call the Midwife? I love that show, and they always make it seem so easy, lol!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I'd love to so long as everything continued looking normal and healthy, but my concern is our other children and pets getting in the way. I like privacy and to be left alone. As of now we are using a birth center and preparing for an emergency home birth. My first was born in under three hours and the second in under an hour, so there's a chance I'll end up with a home birth either way.

There's pretty strong evidence from the European model that home birth with a qualified midwife is at least as safe as a hospital for low risk mothers and babies, so I do not see the danger. I will say, in all my travels, I have never seen another country fear birth the way most Americans seem to.
  • I've been reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and even though I do want to be at the hospital, reading so many positive birth stories has made me relax a lot more. My husband has been reading it too, which I think is awesome and will hopefully prepare him for being a good birth partner
  • Not a home birth b/c I am too afraid of something maybe happening but we are going to a Family Beginnings suite w/in the maternity ward at our local hospital.  They offer home-like feel w/ Jacuzzi tubs, kitchens, etc.  And then if you decide you want the epi, they take you down the hall to a new room w/ no additional charge.  So it like a home birth but w/in a hospital!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • wagvanwagvan member
    Btw anyone else watch Call the Midwife? I love that show, and they always make it seem so easy, lol!
    If (and IF is the operative word here...) you have easy, straight forward, low risk, labor and deliveries it is that easy.  Mine are!  Although the women on their backs makes me crazy!
    Katie ~wife to my beloved, Scott for 25 years
    mama to SEVEN +1 wonderful Waggoners
    K~ 22yo, C~ 20yo, J~ 18yo, N~ 13yo, G~ 11yo, M~ 7, A~5 and baby due 2/12/2016

BabyFruit Ticker
  • First pregnancy and I am planning on a home birth as long as everything stays low risk for me. I think it's the safest place for low risk moms and babies to be (given proper prenatal care and a near by hospital just in case). I'm excited to be in the comforts of my own home without strangers in and out.
  • I had a very scary experience that will keep me going to a hospital from now on. I was low risk for both my pregnancies, the first I did in a hospital, the second with a midwife and a midwife in training in a birth center that was set up like a home. I am not going to go that route again. I ended up having a hemorrhage and I was so scared they wouldn't be able to stop the bleeding. They gave me cytotec and pressed on my stomach until I felt like I was going to pass out. They got the bleeding to slow and eventually stop. I still have that memory of the blood pouring out of me and my only thought was how far the hospital was away, a 15 minute drive. This time I have chosen a hospital that seems very calming, but has that added comfort of having the facilities to deal with emergency situations right there. Just sharing my story because really anything can happen, even when you are low risk and even if you've had a previous delivery go well without complication.
    imageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Home birth is the norm in the Netherlands. I think I'd like to try it. That or a birthing center. We live in the city with 2 hospitals within a 5 to 10 minute drive. The midwife takes you there at the first sign of trouble, so why not.
  • In the United States there is at least one company called Samaritam Ministries that will cover homebirths, midwife expenses etc. We had our 5th child in my kitchen
  • Our homebirth was $2,000 plus travel costs for my Midwife to come see me.(around $35 a visit). Plus the things I bought like a birth kit, some tinctures and food for the big day