February 2016 Moms

Young mummies

Hi there, I'm 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant and 21 years old. I'm soooo nervous to tell people I'm pregnant being so young I'm afraid people (like my parents) will be disappointed/judgemental.

My partner and I have only been together 2 and a half years, living together for 2 years and engaged for 1 year (wedding is Jan. 2017), I'm also only working part time because I'm in my 3rd year of uni with 2 years still to go so money is tight even though my partner works full time. I know everyone would have rathered that I finish uni and be married before getting pregnant which is why I'm so scared! We had talked about having a baby as we both want to be young parents but now it's actually happening I'm ridiculously scared!!

Any other young mummies out there having Feb babies that can relate? Xx

Re: Young mummies

• I was 21 when I was pregnant with my twin girls (except I was married already). I was never nervous to tell anyone but I think at any age, point in life, you get some weird unwanted responses. At that point, a lot of peoples first response after a happy congrats was "what are you going to do about school?".....being pregnant doesn't make you broken. You can still do both. Assuming you have a great support system and your priorities aligned properly to ensure that you can do both!

FWIW, I'm 24 now and pregnant with #3 (again, planned) and now the question is "what are you going to put the baby? You only have a two bedroom house?!"
    Our twins share the second bedroom and the 3rd will too! Kids don't need a whole lot of space to sleep and it's not on our plans to live here forever, obviously.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bbax44bbax44 member
    I'm 21, almost 22. After the fall semester I only have 2 semesters left until I'm done. My bf and i have been together quite a while and we live together. I told my mom like a week ago since I am on her insurance, she flipped shit. I got lectured and lectured, and she still isn't talking to me. I for one don't think she has much room to talk or judge because she had me when she was 16. And that's what she's treating me like. She thinks I'm just doomed and will live on welfare and will never get to have fun ever again. I have had 2 mc, with the same guy I'm with now, and she told me "i don't know why you didn't learn from the first 2 mistakes and get on birth control or take other precautions" So, that's where I am as of now. Not really caring if she ever speaks to me again. She says she doesn't like kids, they are a burden etc.
    But on a more positive note, I have my first appointment today! I am currently 7w4d :)
    best wishes op, i hope your family won't react as mine did.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey :) I'm 22 and 8+4 weeks with my first child- my OH is the same age, he works full time and I have just finished university but don't have a 'proper' job yet and money is a little tight! We have been engaged for a while and are getting married in next year. We always planned to have children at about 25 but this one has just come along a couple of years early! We've told close family and friends and had mixed reactions: my family have been overjoyed but OH's are a little more traditional... Friends reactions have ranged from bursting with excitement to completely indifferent ha ha!

Remember it's your life and having a baby won't stop you meeting your goals- it just might mean that you do things in a different order! I can't wait to be a young Mum :)
  • Im 20. And im fearing to tell my parents. Were getting married in october this year. I dont know when to tell them. Im hearing from a few friends to after the first us. And i have made a onsie saying grandpas getting a new favorite i thought a cute creative idea may make them get happy for us.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Married July 22, 2015
    Baby #1 coming February 2016
    First time mommy <3
  • I was 20 when my husband and I got pregnant with our first. We had known each other for years, but had only been dating a few months. We talked about it and knew that we would some day get married and start a family and decided to just go for it. We got pregnant right of the bat and we were both thrilled, but I was terrified to tell my dad who is very conservative. He was always really hard on me growing up and I felt like I was going to be disappointing him having a baby with someone I hadn't been with that long and not being married. When we did tell him he said two things. 1- Babies are never a bad thing, and 2- well, good we like this guy!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yay young mommas! I am 22 and have a beautiful 2 year old daughter named Arden and now im expecting number two. Just because we are young doesn't mean we wont be rocking mommas! Be proud and those around you who truly love and support you will be happy of your growing family no matter what age you are
  • I was 21 when I was pregnant with my twin girls (except I was married already). I was never nervous to tell anyone but I think at any age, point in life, you get some weird unwanted responses. At that point, a lot of peoples first response after a happy congrats was "what are you going to do about school?".....being pregnant doesn't make you broken. You can still do both. Assuming you have a great support system and your priorities aligned properly to ensure that you can do both!

FWIW, I'm 24 now and pregnant with #3 (again, planned) and now the question is "what are you going to put the baby? You only have a two bedroom house?!"
    Our twins share the second bedroom and the 3rd will too! Kids don't need a whole lot of space to sleep and it's not on our plans to live here forever, obviously.

Thank you, I'm mainly worried about finishing uni but I'm just going to take each day as it comes. I know that I can do it even if it takes me a little bit longer :)
  • bbax44 said:

I'm 21, almost 22. After the fall semester I only have 2 semesters left until I'm done. My bf and i have been together quite a while and we live together. I told my mom like a week ago since I am on her insurance, she flipped shit. I got lectured and lectured, and she still isn't talking to me. I for one don't think she has much room to talk or judge because she had me when she was 16. And that's what she's treating me like. She thinks I'm just doomed and will live on welfare and will never get to have fun ever again. I have had 2 mc, with the same guy I'm with now, and she told me "i don't know why you didn't learn from the first 2 mistakes and get on birth control or take other precautions" So, that's where I am as of now. Not really caring if she ever speaks to me again. She says she doesn't like kids, they are a burden etc.
    But on a more positive note, I have my first appointment today! I am currently 7w4d :)
    best wishes op, i hope your family won't react as mine did.

Congratulations :) I hope that your family comes around to the idea and you can work everything out! I know that my family will be supportive, I'm just worried about disappointing them mostly! X
  • Hey :) I'm 22 and 8+4 weeks with my first child- my OH is the same age, he works full time and I have just finished university but don't have a 'proper' job yet and money is a little tight! We have been engaged for a while and are getting married in next year. We always planned to have children at about 25 but this one has just come along a couple of years early! We've told close family and friends and had mixed reactions: my family have been overjoyed but OH's are a little more traditional... Friends reactions have ranged from bursting with excitement to completely indifferent ha ha!

Remember it's your life and having a baby won't stop you meeting your goals- it just might mean that you do things in a different order! I can't wait to be a young Mum :)

I always wanted to be a young mum and I can't wait either, I just want to skip over the part where we have to tell people and get to the part where everyone knows and is excited haha because I know they will be eventually :) x
  • I'm in a similar situation with trying to finish college and being younger. I had justttttt started a radiology program when I found out I'm pregnant and had to make some changes. Although it stinks I can't finish this program as fast as I hoped too the beautiful thing about college is there is no timeline. Keep reaching for your goals and you will get there one day! And then you'll have a beautiful baby to cheer you on.
  • I am 27 with a college degree, a house, a fiancé, both with good jobs and I STILL got the lecture about not being married and being pregnant. Ugh. Some people are just traditional. I just told them well I'm responsible and this doesn't make me any less of a responsible adult. You can still achieve your dreams- it may take longer, but having a baby doesn't stop your life for the rest of your life. It might delay things a bit, but hey you just keep plugging away at what you want to achieve. Good luck!
  • camusoh2011camusoh2011 member
    edited July 2015
    About finishing school. I'm 25 and this will be my last pregnancy. I'm also finishing my last semester of school starting in August. I'll graduate in December. It's tough, but definitely manageable to finish school with kids. You just have to want it enough to make it work.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm 18 and just about to start college as a nursing major. My boyfriends family will watch our little blueberry while I go to college for free, which is a total plus. I definitely believe it is possible to have children and attend college!
  • I'm 21 and have been trying for a baby for a year and had fertility treatments, I dont think it matters what age you are if your ready your ready. you can be 30 and not ready, my mum had me at 19 and she is the best mum ever.