Baby Names

as seen on disneyland mickey-ears

Took a few days away from TB recently. Came across a few gems at the Happiest Place on Earth...

Makena
Lynsie
Kohl
Brylie
Jaksen
Aeress, not sure of this one but I'm guessing they pronounce it like 'heiress' 

Yep. There was a lot of eye-rolling going on that day.
Vive Les Frasers
Related image

Anniversary

Re: as seen on disneyland mickey-ears

• Loading the player...
  • Except that from that list, Kohl is an actual name not made up for edgy, new-age hype. It's old Germanic. Cole is the English variation. Let's not tease families that very well could be Germanic in origin that keep their roots, eh?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Except that from that list, Kohl is an actual name not made up for edgy, new-age hype. It's old Germanic. Cole is the English variation. Let's not tease families that very well could be Germanic in origin that keep their roots, eh?

Where are you getting that from?  Behindthename does not recognize Kohl other than a user submitted name with ENglish usage and no credibility to back it up

• bbiutmcph said:
    Except that from that list, Kohl is an actual name not made up for edgy, new-age hype. It's old Germanic. Cole is the English variation. Let's not tease families that very well could be Germanic in origin that keep their roots, eh?

Where are you getting that from?  Behindthename does not recognize Kohl other than a user submitted name with ENglish usage and no credibility to back it up

https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=kohl

Also, took German for two years with a teacher who had her child named that.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well the first one is for a surname and the second isn't a credible site.  Just because someone uses it doesn't make it legit.  As a first name it does not have etymology or history of use.  Behindthename is considered a go to source as they take both things into consideration and not just anyone can post a name and use it as such like many online sites.  I know several kids with made up names or spellings it doesn't mean because it was used it's legit. 

• bbiutmcph said:
    Well the first one is for a surname and the second isn't a credible site.  Just because someone uses it doesn't make it legit.  As a first name it does not have etymology or history of use.  Behindthename is considered a go to source as they take both things into consideration and not just anyone can post a name and use it as such like many online sites.  I know several kids with made up names or spellings it doesn't mean because it was used it's legit. 
    So because it's used as a surname that it can't be used as a first name? I'd best break this news to all of the James, Johnsons, Smiths and Christians of the world. Obviously, there are more, but you get the idea. It's a legitimate name.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Several surnames have history of use as first names no one EVER said any different.  Johnson, Smith, Kohl and a bazillion others do not.  Again people may do it but it doesn't mean they now are legit first names. Slapping a surname as a first name doesn't mean it's suddenly a first name. Just like if I named my kid Calculator, it doesn't make it suddenly a legit first name because I used it. 

• bbiutmcph said:
    Several surnames have history of use as first names no one EVER said any different.  Johnson, Smith, Kohl and a bazillion others do not.  Again people may do it but it doesn't mean they now are legit first names. Slapping a surname as a first name doesn't mean it's suddenly a first name. Just like if I named my kid Calculator, it doesn't make it suddenly a legit first name because I used it. 
    You are equating Johnson/Smith to Calculator? 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Johnson and Smith are equally as ridiculous as first names so yes.  Look I explained why Kohl wasn't a legit first name, I explained that most surnames are not legit first names, and yes they are as silly as people who slap any word on a kid and say it's a name.  Not sure what you are even trying to prove? 

• Cole is a person I know. Kohl (ok, Kohl's) is a place I go when I need a sweater, scented candles, picture frames, and a juicer. Kroger is also a surname. Doesn't mean it should be a first name too.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Kroger is also a surname. Doesn't mean it should be a first name too.
    And a supermarket that has excellent store-brand ice cream. 

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Kroger is also a surname. Doesn't mean it should be a first name too.

And a supermarket that has excellent store-brand ice cream. 

True that!!!! Lol
  • Can someone please at least stop to acknowledge the fact that Kohl means "cabbage head?" Cuz...cabbage head.

/dies.

I cannot with that. So funny.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • That also makes the founder of Kohl's even more hilarious... Senator Herb Kohl!!! His mom clearly didn't have this information as handy as we do.
  • mattandloramattandlora member
    edited June 2015

That also makes the founder of Kohl's even more hilarious... Senator Herb Kohl!!! His mom clearly didn't have this information as handy as we do.

Probably because they had no intra webs

Edit: autocorrect strikes again

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• curfam4curfam4 member
    edited June 2015

Makena is a real name as well...

Edited to add it is an African name

• curfam4curfam4 member
    edited June 2015
    LizWhiz87 said:
    curfam4 said:

I'm going to venture a guess that Makena's mom is not well versed in African names. More likely a trendy spelling of the already detestable McKenna.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/makena 
  • curfam4 said:
    LizWhiz87 said:
    curfam4 said:

I'm going to venture a guess that Makena's mom is not well versed in African names. More likely a trendy spelling of the already detestable McKenna.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/makena 
    Again, I highly doubt this mom is of Eastern African descent and speaks Kikuyu. I wasn't questioning the validity of the name, just its usage.
  • Also, while giving your kids surnames as a first name is a thing in the US, in many countries it's not. Germany is one of those countries. No German would call their kid Kohl. Not even if they admired their former prime minister Helmut Kohl.

Confession: I totally judge people who give their kid a German/Dutch/French surname as first name because of 'heritage' without realising that by doing so, they show ignorance about said heritage.

Yup this!! My husband is from Germany and he did a massive eye roll at naming a kid Kohl.
  • Given the state of baby names in America today, I'm going to guess that the little Kohl in question here was the child of parents who didn't have standards high enough to name him/her "Nordstrom" or "Bloomingdale." 
  • whit3183 said:

Given the state of baby names in America today, I'm going to guess that the little Kohl in question here was the child of parents who didn't have standards high enough to name him/her "Nordstrom" or "Bloomingdale." 

Or Saks, but spelled Sax

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Watched a documentary which featured people with a boy(!) called "Leaf Artemis". Auch!

BFP #1: Nov. '12 - Bunny born in July '13
    BFP #2: July '15 - Goodbye, Kitty

Benched.

• I grew up with a kid named Neiman Marcus Lastname. He said his dad wanted him to "have a store name". O feel like he picked a good one....poor kid could have been Belk or Macy!

• Or Dollar Store, spelled $ store

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Well that's not very aspirational! We have to aim higher for our kids!

Well that's not very aspirational! We have to aim higher for our kids!
    Walmart, but with the star instead of the dash, because that's the new Walmart logo. Gotta stay trendy.

Wal*Mart

(This Wal-Mart vs Wal*Mart was quite the ordeal where I'm from, which is the same county as the original Wal-Mart)

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• The star does class it up quite a bit.

• What about Dollar General? High ranking... patriotic...

Yup, that's the one. A+!

• That also makes the founder of Kohl's even more hilarious... Senator Herb Kohl!!! His mom clearly didn't have this information as handy as we do.
    Probably because they had no intra webs Edit: autocorrect strikes again
    Kohl is also a type of ancient egyptian eyeliner that contained lead.  Super healthy :)
  • HulerHuler member
    edited July 2015
    On DHs Hawaiian side of the family, I have two nieces names Makena. One was to parents married on Makena beach in HI. I always thought that spelling was also a Hawaiian form. Thoughts?

eta -- we will not be using it, just curious on y'all's take on that?
  • Huler said:

On DHs Hawaiian side of the family, I have two nieces names Makena. One was to parents married on Makena beach in HI. I always thought that spelling was also a Hawaiian form. Thoughts?

eta -- we will not be using it, just curious on y'all's take on that?

NMS, but I do like a place name that has meaning!

• Just saw, in my fb news feed... Koal

* crickets*