July 2015 Moms

Anyone else not have third trimester ultrasound??

I don't know why, but this is making me so nervous. I haven't seen my little man since my 20 week ultrasound. With my first I had probably 2 more ultrasounds after that. I know that they are not always necessary, but it is making me feel uneasy not knowing if my fluid is low or how the placenta is doing. I have a scheduled c on the 10th and only one appointment next Tuesday before surgery. He is slightly transverse and laying a little funny, but again they just shrugged it off. I feel like they aren't paying as much attention to him because they know he's a c section. Anyone else?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anyone else not have third trimester ultrasound??

• mnj05mnj05 member
    I never had an u/s after the 20 week one with my first son and he was not a scheduled c/s. Some doctors just don't do them.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Sometimes it has to do with insurance as well. I've had several since my anatomy scan. I've had to ask for a few of them. I even went outside of Kaiser and paid $25 for one of those little non medical places just to see her a bit more.
  • Loading the player...
  • My practice doesn't do them after 20 weeks either unless they have cause. It does make me nervous, but I have just trusted them. As it Turns out though I will have one tomorrow to check the growth because of my low weight gain.
  • I am low risk and so my midwife does not routinely recommend ultrasounds besides the 20 week one. Around 32 weeks we had talked about possibly doing an ultrasound if he didn't flip from breech, but he has been head down since 34 weeks now.
  • My office will only do one unless there is a reason. With my first it was just the anatomy scan. That was what I was expecting this time too but we are doing a growth scan tomorrow thinking baby boy is gonna be big!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• bocc612 said:
    I don't know why, but this is making me so nervous. I haven't seen my little man since my 20 week ultrasound. With my first I had probably 2 more ultrasounds after that. I know that they are not always necessary, but it is making me feel uneasy not knowing if my fluid is low or how the placenta is doing. I have a scheduled c on the 10th and only one appointment next Tuesday before surgery. He is slightly transverse and laying a little funny, but again they just shrugged it off. I feel like they aren't paying as much attention to him because they know he's a c section. Anyone else?
    If everything is measuring normally at your appointments, there's no reason to suspect that your fluid is low or that your placenta isn't functioning properly. If you are having a c-section, then there's no medical reason to check the position of the baby. Don't borrow trouble - most of the time you only need a third trimester ultrasound if something unusual is going on...not needing one is usually a good sign! And as PP said, sometimes insurance plays a roll as to whether or not you get a third trimester ultrasound.

I am having one only because bubs is transverse and I am trying for a natural birth, so they're doing one at 39 weeks to see if he has flipped (if I haven't gone into labor naturally by then). Otherwise, my AS at 20 weeks would be my last one.
  • I only had the 20 week ultrasound with the anatomy scan as well, and I am 39+5, so I don't believe I will be having anymore. 

However, the hospital that I go to for my appointments has a v-scan, which I believe is semi new technology because I don't think many of the ladies on here have them used, but its like a mini ultrasound thing that you can see the baby at each appointment. So, my OB checks the fluid, heart, position, and lately the chest going up and down practicing breathing :)  Its really nice that they have it and I feel foturnate!! It replaces a Doppler. 
  • Unless there's something wrong, my dr office won't do one other than the 20 week anatomy scan. If you're not feeling baby move, you can request one, but I believe you'd have to pay out of pocket. You could always have an elective and just pay for it...
    First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • VTomanVToman member
    I didn't have one, either. And, I think I've missed my window to get one on my own. Most of the places here book way in advance, and I'm already 38 weeks. Anyway; my dr said because there hasn't been anything concerning or anything we're monitoring, they weren't going to give me one. Disappointed, because I want to see my baby!!
  • I haven't had one since the anatomy scan. Dr said since I've had no issues the whole pregnancy there is no need for one in the next few weeks. I'm anxious to see my baby girl but I'm so glad I've had no issues--I can wait until she's born!
  • edited June 2015
    I had one only because my belly was measuring three weeks ahead. If it hadn't been for that I would not have gotten another one after my anatomy scan.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doctor won't perform an ultrasound past the 20 week mark unless they believe something could be wrong with baby and that's only because insurance won't pay for a scan if its not "medically necessary." Although the office does offer a "fun scan" that you can pay $50 out of pocket to get an ultrasound. I think it's silly but women have been having babies way before there was ever an option of getting an ultrasound so I'm not too worried about it.
  • I also had one due to measuring big, it was called a growth scan. It did cost me my co-pay since it is not "medically necessary"
  • I had to have 2 after the 20 week US, but they were due to low fetal heart rate. My clinic also uses the V Scan at the 36 week appointment to check positioning.
  • I'm in Canada and I've never heard of anyone having one past the anatomy scan around the 20wk mark unless there is some reason for concern (breach etc.). The only way you can get one other than those reasons is to pay for it yourself
  • I feel a little better now. I didn't know it was normal to not have several and so many people I talked to were telling me that I should have had more than one. Luckily I did get to have one at 36 weeks but they wouldn't do it any sooner than that.
  • I've had 1 extra since then, but that's just because my OB is super sweet. He's known me for 3yrs(when he was on call & I ended up in the ER with an ovary that had been dead for 2 days, unknown to me). We've moved an hour away, but I still make the drive to see him because he is so great. So one appointment he "snuck" me & my hubby into the ultrasound room to get an extra peek at our LO as a "gift" to us for driving so far for him...he's definitely a keeper :)
  • This is my first baby and I haven't had one since I was 21 weeks. I think it has alot to do with your insurance.
  • I had 1 at 36, but it was with a dinosaur machine. Dr just need to verify she was head down bc my cervix was closed at the time and she check that I had enough amniotic fluid, but it was pretty useless to me, I couldn't make out anything. She said its not necessary since everything has been going well
  • Ultrasounds aren't necessary as long as they don't suspect any issues. I had a 4D at 32 weeks, but it wasn't diagnostic so they weren't checking for anything.
  • Iv had nothing either since 20 weeks and hospital seen me at 36 weeks not again until 40 weeks just told me to see my own GP until I go back to them 2 days before my due date I was horrified but a friend said it's normal once it's a healthy pregnancy
  • I had 3rd trimester u/s with my other 2 kids because both measured behind in terms of fundal height. This go-around everything has been on-track, so no u/s for me. I'm fine with that!
    Mama to two crazy kiddos
    J -- 9/04
    L -- 11/10
    E -- 7/15

• rw3190rw3190 member
    I finally asked last week to do it this coming weds. My doctors office was NOT going to do one unless I showed signs of a problem. I thought that was odd....but who knows....FTM
  • From what I heard, that is totally normal :) We have had 6 ultra sounds and the only reason why is because little man has a little too much fluid in one of his kidney's so they have been monitoring it. It's been nice to see him don't get me wrong! But baby will be here soon mama... :)
  • It is interesting to hear all the different experiences, sounds like I am in the minority.  I am high risk and have had ultrasounds at every appointment since confirmation.  From what I understand my doctor does this for all his patients and is standard practice in his office.  Even though insurance only allows for however many, he does them all the time.  I put all mine together the other day and had roughly 20 different sessions. 
  • Honestly you should be happy that you're doctor isn't pushing an ultrasound! That means they don't have any concerns and everything is going well for you. Sometimes less is more.
  • Reading your guys comments about this I have a question, did you guys not have to pay for some of your anatomy scan after insurance? We had to pay about 260 out of pocket for the anatomy scan, and I had an ultrasound at my first checkup because they were worried it was twins and that was 180. So, I don't understand when you guys say the other ones aren't covered by insurance, neither of mine were fully? Or 50 dollars for an extra one, sounds way cheap to me....
  • I have had a few....but I am considered high risk... it is crazy amazing to see the 3D images.