February 2016 Moms

Midwife working in Hospital Setting - First Appointment??

Hi All! I will be using a Midwife at one of our well known hospitals where I live. The midwife does work under a physician... any idea what goes on during the first appointment in this type of setting with a midwife?? I keep hoping I will get an ultrasound during the first trimester, but my sister-in-law saw a physician with her past two pregnancies and never had first trimester ultrasounds-- may have been insurance related--not sure. But just curious if anyone has had any experiences with midwives in hospital settings.

Thanks!

Re: Midwife working in Hospital Setting - First Appointment??

• dv001dv001 member
    **my sister-in-law was seeing a physician at the same hospital

• KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • There is a thread on the first page here titled 1st Midwife Appt Experiences or something like that, and there has been quite a few replies from people there :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You beat me to it @magnumJ! Yes, OP, the exact same thing was posted this morning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• dv001dv001 member

Yes, I saw that one, but from what I read, it sounded like these midwives weren't necessarily in a hospital setting-- am just curious how different the hospital setting is with midwives or if it is similar to what goes on in midwife private practices. :)

• dv001 said:

Yes, I saw that one, but from what I read, it sounded like these midwives weren't necessarily in a hospital setting-- am just curious how different the hospital setting is with midwives or if it is similar to what goes on in midwife private practices. :)

You can ask questions on similar threads. Most midwifes, in my area at least, work in hospitals.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• The responses on that sound like hospital based midwives to me, too. It is assumed when you're talking about MW that you're talking about hospital based because that's the norm. Most people will specify if it's a home birth midwife. Like PP said, it would've been totally fine to ask on that thread, "are you guys talking about hospital based midwives?"

• dv001dv001 member

VitaLuna and MagnumJ : I apologize if I caused an issue by posting this thread. Please feel free to delete it if it is a problem -- I have tried deleting it and don't seem to be able to -- not sure if there are Admins for these boards, both of you ladies sound like you may be Admins. I am a RN myself, and the city where I live there are more midwives that are private practice/home based then hospital. As said-- I apologize if this caused some sort of issue.

• dv001 said:

VitaLuna and MagnumJ : I apologize if I caused an issue by posting this thread. Please feel free to delete it if it is a problem -- I have tried deleting it and don't seem to be able to -- not sure if there are Admins for these boards, both of you ladies sound like you may be Admins. I am a RN myself, and the city where I live there are more midwives that are private practice/home based then hospital. As said-- I apologize if this caused some sort of issue.

It's not a problem at all! We're just trying to organize the board a little bit so that posts on the same or similar topics get lumped together. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• MrsJG3MrsJG3 member
    I don't think they were saying it was an issue at all. I think they were just trying to help out since the other post has several response and people tend to post less if a topic sounds the same as one they already responded to. Don't take offense. :)
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited June 2015
    What @MrsJG3 said. You're going to get better info from the post that was already posted today than you probably will with this one, hence the link from PP. People tend to respond to the first one, but not the many duplicate others that there are on various topics.

• dv001dv001 member
    edited June 2015
    I'm not taking offense -- just don't need to keep getting told to post on the other thread dealing with midwives-- I have gotten the memo. :) If anyone knows how to delete threads, I will be more than happy to delete this thread.