May 2015 Moms
Options

2 month typical vs atypical development

Hi Mommies, 

So we got our 2 month vaccinations a bit early as our insurance runs out tomorrow until hubby starts his new job in a few weeks.  Our LO is 7 weeks old but we also induced her at 39 weeks for possible IUGR.  

We saw the pediatrician today and she did a few tests on her which she failed miserably.  The pediatrician thought that perhaps she was tired but I have tried these tests on her when she is extremely alert and she can not reproduce what is "normal."  The ped said that we will know for sure in 2 weeks but of course, I'm a paranoid, type A first time mom.  Plus I just saw a video of my friend's baby on FB (I know, I know) who was born about the same time as my baby and she is already making obvious smiles and cooing sounds.  I'm worried also because her head circumference has plummeted as far as percentiles and the pediatrician said its too early to determine anything at this point.

Anyway, have any of your babies been able to perform all the motor and sensory milestones?  The ones I am most concerned with are seen on this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoB6ReAenR4

Unfortunately my 7 week old is looking like the "atypical" baby and that worries me a lot!  I know I should just chill but its hard when you see your friend's babies progressing quickly...

Thanks everyone!

Re: 2 month typical vs atypical development

• Options
    All babies develop at different speeds and can all turn out just fine in the end, sometimes it's an indicator but not always so don't worry just yet! She's still so young. My first son had trouble holding his head for a few months and couldn't hold his head up while on his belly for longer and took longer to roll over but he's now a very coordinated 3 year old. He even walked at 10 months old. He had a lot of trouble sleeping as a small baby and cried a lot and I did find he has sensory issues and is not talking yet so he's on the spectrum of autism. I also had difficulties breastfeeding him and he could not latch and was told his pallet is high. It's not the norm for everyone, since all children are very different. Looking back now I can relate how very difficult and particular he has always been and it makes sense. And my second son now is almost 6 weeks old and is a much different experience from last time where he rolled over on his own a little over 2 weeks and can hold his head laying and sitting. He latched immediately in the hospital and has slept through the night from early on.

Give her a little more time before you start to worry because she might surprise you :) I also had my son at 39 weeks

• Options
    I had my son at 38 weeks. He is 9 weeks now. Honestly he is a combination of typical and atypical. He has great movement with his legs and arms. He has been a kicker for weeks! His head movement and reaction to stimulus is a little lax. His head percentile is WAY above his height and weight so that could be part of it. I think he is also stubborn and only looks at what he wants to. If he doesn't want to interact with you, he simply doesn't. Super annoying when he ignores me then daddy comes along.

All babies are different! My friend had twins 5 weeks before my son was born and I am constantly comparing him to their development. It's impossible not to but it drives me crazy sometimes! I am right their with you momma but try not to!! Your baby will get there!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's great that you are being vigilant about it all. Don't panic, babies can develop very differently. Of the doctor tells you that he/she is concerned at your next appointment, ask for a physical therapy evaluation. Sometimes a little bit of work early on can make all the difference in getting on track and staying on track. A PT would give you tons of information and help you to know how to help facilitate more muscle tone. Good luck and enjoy your baby:):)
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! Yeah I thought the same thing about the 2 month old "typical" baby example (mine is no where near able to push her head up with shoulder strength!) but then I saw my friends' videos of their babies and also held other 2 month olds that had pretty awesome head control and were actively smiling (mine still gives me the gassy smiles but they are few and far between).
  • Options
    My doctor said that they have noticed kids having head control later than they used to because they don't get the belly time they need to develop those muscles because of the fear of SIDS. My doc suggest giving them belly time sand gave me some suggestion on different ways to help with his development. Maybe your kiddo needs more belly time. I know mine does.
  • Options
    lizatt said:

My doctor said that they have noticed kids having head control later than they used to because they don't get the belly time they need to develop those muscles because of the fear of SIDS. My doc suggest giving them belly time sand gave me some suggestion on different ways to help with his development. Maybe your kiddo needs more belly time. I know mine does.

I remember our pediatrician said the same thing when DS1 was this age. Babies today don't get nearly as much tummy time.

But I have to say, I watched this video all the way through and think that baby Marty is on the very high end of typical. He even looks more like a 3 month old to me.