Trying to Get Pregnant

Possible silly question about diet pills

Hello ladies!
So ive been trying to lose weight while ttc (doc said itd be best if i lost 30 lb before getting ku but its ok to start ttc). It's been 6 months since ttc (1 year trying to loose weight) and I've lost a whopping 2 whole pounds! I was wondering if there is such a thing as a safe diet pill to take while ttc? All the research I've done is conflicting so I thought I'd ask the science ladies of TB. Im already very skeptical of diet pills but it's the only thing (besides medical intervention) that I havent tried.
Thank you in advance for any responses!

Re: Possible silly question about diet pills

• kgbbsc7 said:

No just no.  Less food in the pie-hole.  Walk. 

Assuming your doctor has done a full-work to check for conditions that can make losing weight difficult. 

Thank ya maam. I assumed so but didnt think it would hurt to ask. And yes, she did a full work up and said everything was normal besides a vitamin D deficiency.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not. I think there is a center right off post. I think Ill go in tomorrow morning and talk to them about it. Do you know if it's expense?
  • You pay a weekly fee to weigh in, but you get support too.  I think it's about 10-15/bucks. 

Also, you can calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and from there calculate your daily calorie needs based on how often you work out.  Lot's of site will do this for free.  I also know lots of ladies that have success with MyFitnessPal too!!

• My cousin was trying to lose weight forever - she started doing Whole30 in January and has lost 60lbs (!!). Also not sure what exercise you like, but if you're not a runner and want to start I'd recommend getting a Couch-to-5k app - I've always been a terrible runner and that's the only program that seems to make sense. There's also a zombie themed one if you're into that :)

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• I did weight watchers. It was good, but I found almost the same success with MyFitnessPal (it's an app and website.) MyFitnessPal is free, but you should definitely reach out for support from friends and/or the online community for the best chance of success. The benefit to WW or TOPS (a less expensive group with a similar goal, from what I understand,) is that you are physically going to a group and meeting with people. If you bond with the community, it may motivate you a bit more.

Good luck, but please stay away from pills. They are not good for you.
  • Snoflakes4evaSnoflakes4eva member
    edited June 2015

2 things that have really helped me stop over eating (which is my primary issue) is knitting and learning about portions/ serving sizes.

Knitting keeps my hands and mind busy while I watch tv. And I was actually eating 3-4 servings of pasta, when I thought I was eating one serving.

ETA: TMI: several years ago I started to take Ally because I had heard good things. When I ate healthy, low fat meals I did loose weight. But read the warnings! It says a side effect can be anal leakage and they were not lying. When you eat a fatty meal, you butt literally leaks this nasty orange oily nastiness. I asked several friends who took it and they all had the same issue.

• My cousin was trying to lose weight forever - she started doing Whole30 in January and has lost 60lbs (!!). Also not sure what exercise you like, but if you're not a runner and want to start I'd recommend getting a Couch-to-5k app - I've always been a terrible runner and that's the only program that seems to make sense. There's also a zombie themed one if you're into that :)

This!

I'm not a runner, but the free C25K app from ZenLabs helped me to lose 30 pounds. I can't run without the app, though, because I'm not motivated enough. If you need a coach, I did find a C25K podcast at one point that played good music and encouraged you as you ran. I don't remember what it's called, though.
  • kgbbsc7 said:

No just no.  Less food in the pie-hole.  Walk. 

Assuming your doctor has done a full-work to check for conditions that can make losing weight difficult. 

This, and be careful of what you are putting in to said pie-hole.  Whole grains, vegetables, low sugar, lots of water, good sources of protein, and exercise are the ticket.  I became much more fit and lost weight when I learned what was truly healthy and what was a "fake health food."  Not all foods that are advertised as being healthy are truly good for you and will help you lose weight.  Since I have started to read the ingredients list on the back of the food I eat, I feel like it has helped my health immensely.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Alot of diet pills have ridiculous amounts of caffeine in them. . high caffeine is not safe for early pregnancy some studies show. Look into weight watchers or an excersise program at your local gym. Calorie counters may also help. There's no quick fix and alot of those supplements can do more harm then good. Something else to look into is your bowel habits. If you aren't having a bm once a day perhaps look into a fiber supplement. This sounds weird but good regular bowel movements can help you lose weight if you struggle with chronic constipation.
  • I'm another WW convert. I gained weight in college and after I graduated I lost (and have kept off) 37lbs. It basically gets you on track and sets you up to eat healthy (nothing is off limits) and get more activity in your life. I'm definitely a person that needs a couple cheat meals a week, so it works for me. 
    Me: 27 DH: 32
    2 Pugs: Max and Daisy (adopted 2006)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have not. I think there is a center right off post. I think Ill go in tomorrow morning and talk to them about it. Do you know if it's expense?

You said "off post". Is your family military? If so, I saw a nutritionist at my AF base for free from tricare. She set me up with a great meal plan (mine was for muscle building, but they deal with weight loss a lot). The base gym also has free group classes, and we have a women's gym with a great (cheap!) trainer and nutritionist. Something to look into if you're military!
  • My friend sells plexus slim and she was pregnant while using it and her doctor said it was safe to use while pregnant. It's originally meant for people with diabetes but I can give you her info if you want to try. For now Google and read reviews.
  • Hello ladies!
    So ive been trying to lose weight while ttc (doc said itd be best if i lost 30 lb before getting ku but its ok to start ttc). It's been 6 months since ttc (1 year trying to loose weight) and I've lost a whopping 2 whole pounds! I was wondering if there is such a thing as a safe diet pill to take while ttc? All the research I've done is conflicting so I thought I'd ask the science ladies of TB. Im already very skeptical of diet pills but it's the only thing (besides medical intervention) that I havent tried.
    Thank you in advance for any responses!

Have you gotten your thyroid checked out? I would not recommend diet pills at any point.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My friend sells plexus slim and she was pregnant while using it and her doctor said it was safe to use while pregnant. It's originally meant for people with diabetes but I can give you her info if you want to try. For now Google and read reviews.
    This is a waste of money. You would get the same benefits from Plexus with vitamins and eating healthy (and that'd be wayyyyy cheaper). Everything else is the placebo effect. It's not scientifically proven at all. 

Same thing with diet pills, they are all a scam. No such thing as a quick fix.

I've recently lost weight (14 pounds in 4 months) using the 5:2 diet (just Google it) and exercise. It's a great way to lose weight without having to limit yourself much on a daily basis, just two days a week! I've seen people have great results with WW, but it never did much for me (of course, this is back before they made all fruits and veggies zero points).

Good luck!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Second getting your thyroid checked. I had the same issue, and until I got that worked out I really struggled to lose weight even using My Fitness Pal. Now I still have to watch what I eat, etc, but the weight is (finally) starting to come off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IMHO the lack of loosing weight is very, very rarely because of a thyroid issue. And almost always an issue of more calories going in than out.
  • Hey ya'll OP said she already had a full-work from the doc!!

Nope nope nope. These direct sales companies are a joke. Sorry. They have questionable ingredients, lack any sort of proven results, and the only people who like them, sell them. Eating right and working out is much more sustainable, less costly, and much more effective.
    I just wanted to give @LWilliams1219 what she asked for, I do not use plexus slim so I can not say for sure but my friend has been a friend for almost 10 years so I trust her judgment. It is up to her if she wants to try it or not. Although I do agree with you that eating right and exercise is the only that will make you loose weight. I found running to be very helpful. The c25k app is amazing and nice because you start out slow and work your way up.
  • I have had my thyroid checked. My mom does have a thyroid issue so it is checked regularly. Bu ill definitely look into all this stuff.
    @tkarliem45 i am military. My husband is in the army. Ive been to our nutritionists and Army Wellness Center where they do all sorts of tests and such and give me a calorie count. It has been somewhat helpful. I think my problem is that no one is holding me accountable anymore. My self discipline is not where it should be. Ill look into the classes at our onpost gym. But our classes , however cheap, are not free like AF (im an AF brat my dad was in the AF my whole life) so im definitely jealous lol.
  • I have had my thyroid checked. My mom does have a thyroid issue so it is checked regularly. Bu ill definitely look into all this stuff. @tkarliem45 i am military. My husband is in the army. Ive been to our nutritionists and Army Wellness Center where they do all sorts of tests and such and give me a calorie count. It has been somewhat helpful. I think my problem is that no one is holding me accountable anymore. My self discipline is not where it should be. Ill look into the classes at our onpost gym. But our classes , however cheap, are not free like AF (im an AF brat my dad was in the AF my whole life) so im definitely jealous lol.
    Dang, that's too bad! I guess I'll stop taking it for granted and get myself to the gym more! Look and see if they have any "bootcamps" at your gym on post. We just had a spouse bootcamp with weekly weigh-ins, before/after pictures (for yourself, not public) and before/and after measurements. It was eight (LONG) weeks, but like 3 other spouses on my street did it with me. It was super fun and it helped keep everyone accountable. At the end we had a pool party and they gave away a ton of prizes! This is my first base, so I'm hoping stuff like this is common, and I didn't just luck out. 
  • Have you thought about looking into a Fitbit or one of the other watch/trackers? I have found them to be very helpful and motivating because you can challenge friends and family to keep themselves moving! :!!
  • Has your dr done a hormone panel? Weight Watchers is awesome! I have lost 22kgs (~48 pounds) and the support is great. All I'd say is shop around for good meetings if you can (they're not all created equal). If you're on a budget then tracking your food and exercise is a good way. Fitness pal app is great.

Good luck!
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• edited June 2015
    My post from last night got deleted. But sometimes the issue is that you're not eating enough, consistently. Unless you're using a tracker like MyFitnessPal (free-sies!) with a food scale (digitals go for around $25 at WalMart) it is very possible to severely underestimate or overestimate your food intake.

I spent last year not being a gym rat and never had my net goal set higher than 1,900 calories a day, heck... in the last 6 months, I barely cleared 1,500 calories a day because I thought I was so sedentary... once a week maybe I'd overblow my budget to 2,300 calories. I slowly packed on 20lbs in a year.

Cue a horrific day in the ER a week ago where I lost a considerable amount of blood. Clearing 800 calories the first two days was rough, and I realized that to recover, I needed to eat a heck of a lot more than usual to rebuild my supply and energy. I took a chance and upped my daily calories to 2,010. At 5'8" I went from 195 Sunday before last to 182 this morning, just 9 days later. From eating *more*.

So I echo others in opening a MFP account, and maybe just start tracking what you eat, even if you're not making changes just yet. You may find you're eating too much, but you might also find you're eating too little and keeping your body in starvation mode, which packs on fat.
  • I would highly recommend WW as a PP said. I did it a few years ago and lost 60lbs before my wedding. It took about 3 years to get the weight off but I felt healthy, strong and happy. It was totally worth the £20 ($30) a month for the monthly plan.
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited June 2015
    You shouldn't look at this as "i have to lose 30lbs until i get pregnant". It's never a bad idea to change your lifestyle - especially if your body will be nurturing a tiny human, and then running around trying to keep up with it. If you want to jump start your weight loss, look into juicing, eating raw or eating vegan for 1-2 weeks to help detox your body. After that, make healthy changes and alternatives to your current food and cooking. Dont jump into a crazy diet and try to learn to love a bran new cuisine - start small. If you make spaghetti, use whole wheat or even gluten free noodles, if you drink dairy switch to organic, if you eat sandwiches switch to whole grain bread and less processed cuts of meat. Start small and EXERCISE. I hate cardio, so i do yoga and strength training - also helpful for lugging around a 30lb belly for months. and take prenatals!
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• When I got pregnant with DS, I was over 100lbs overweight. I was clinically obese. Morbidly obese, actually. I lost weight during pregnancy and have since continued to lose. Yes, it's best to be healthy before getting pregnant, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. Use this as a weapon. A time to get ahold of your body, a grasp on your health, and make a lifelong change! Good luck!!
    DS Maxwell - 08/25/2009
    Wedded Bliss - 05/19/15
    MC - 05/15/15 & 7/29/15 & 11/25/15 (You were wished for, hoped for and loved)
    BFP#4; EDD 10/21/16 - Praying for a miracle.

• Thank you guys! Youve really helped my stress level with this issue decrease. My previous obgyn was a personal trainer as well and very strong in her opinion for me to loose weight (almost bitchy about it actually). And when my new doctor said the same things i started to get super duper stressed. Which isnt good for me anyways. But ANYWAYS yall are great! <3
  • You know what girl, personal trainers can be a bit harder sometimes but remember to love yourself and your body. It never hurts to get healthy, but there are times when people don't know the real struggle unless they are living it.

I speak from experience. I was and still am obese but it is work each and every day. I have lost 85lbs and keep working hard. My husband is a personal trainer and will sometimes makes comments about weight and eating based on his experience and what "he knows to be true" but may not be true for everyone, which is when I have to remind him to "back the truck up and get out of my lane"

Congratulate yourself for the 2 lbs and try each day to make good decisions. You got this!!!!
  • BabyBump2BabyBump2 member
    edited July 2015
    You could always try Shakeology. I did it for 2 months and lost 15ish pounds. You can do it along with 21 Day Fix. Literally 30 minutes of working out a day. Super easy.

Edit: Oh and you get a military discount!
  • I’ve seen a lot of really positive things about low carb and conception. I personally have been doing low carb since July and have lost 25lbs. My goal is to lose 80lbs but I am not putting off TTC for that goal. 
  • Oh wow! I totally missed the date too! Just saw that it popped up on the first page when using the app.  :#