Baby Names
Options

Just found out we are having a girl!

We confirmed yesterday that we are having a baby girl,  she's due in November. We are so excited. Before we found out, I really liked the name Gentry for her. But now that we know it's a girl I'm starting to second guess. We really like the name Charlie Harper... thoughts? I know I kind of want a gender neutral name for our girl or something that has traditionally been used as a boy name but can cross the threshold to be feminine. Any thoughts appreciated! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Just found out we are having a girl!

• Options
    I'm not against gender neutral names as a rule but Gentry and Charlie are masculine, not gender neutral. Charlie Harper sounds very masculine. Have you thought about Harper as the first name, since it's more commonly used as a feminine FN? Like maybe with a feminine MN. If you're settled on Gentry or Charlie, I would definitely go with Charlie but maybe try to use a more feminine MN. Best of luck in choosing.

• Options
    Can I ask why having a unisex name on a daughter is so important to you?

It's NMS in the way that I think it's one of the worst things you could do to a girl, so I'm really curious about what the appeal is.

(I'm very biased by the fact that as a kid, despite the feminine name, my parents dressed me in pants, blues and greens all the time while my kid sis got all the frills, pinks and purples. The message I always got was how strongly they wanted their first-born to have been a boy. So with a name being so much more central to an identity than clothes... I'm curious why someone would want that for their kid.)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    benmel31 said:
    How about Charlotte Harper, nickname Charlie?  Then she would have a more feminine name to use as an adult.

Love this suggestion!

• Options
    LC122LC122 member
    astrat017 said:

Wasn't that Charlie sheens character on two and a half men ?

My thoughts exactly. Never watched the show enough to know for sure, but I thought that was it.

I prefer Charlotte nn Charlie, but I'm not even really a nickname person.
    We had a class with a baby girl named Charlie and she had no hair for the longest time and I thought it was rough. If her mom didn't dress her in girly clothes/colors, it was hard to remember she was a girl.

My kids have blue eyes and blue is my favorite color, so I often dress them in blues even though both are girls. But both have feminine names. Then again, before their hair grew in/longer, they could be in pink from head to toe and people would still think they were a boy and/or ask if they were a boy. So, you can only do so much.
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    edited June 2015
    astrat017 said:
    Wasn't that Charlie sheens character on two and a half men ?
    I think it is but I don't think it's an issue, because you wouldn't really ever see her NN and MN together.

EDIT: I realized you were probably talking about Charlie Harper not Charlotte Harper... oops!

• Options
    My oldest daughter is Alexandra but she mostly goes by Alex so I actually like some female names that have traditionally male nick names. Having said all that, I really dislike straight up boy names on girls. Charlie Harper isn't unisex, it's all male. It's no different than naming your daughter Stanley Richard.

If you really like Charlie I would definitely recommend giving her a feminine name like Charlotte and using Charlie as a nick name.

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Charlotte > Charlie
  • Options
    Ok I think you guys convinced me off of Charlie :( I think it's so cute but I don't want her to be mistaken for a boy. Other names I'm liking besides Gentry are...
    Harper
    Harlow
    Quinn
    Cora
    Marlowe

The hunt continues! Thanks for all the input. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ok I think you guys convinced me off of Charlie :( I think it's so cute but I don't want her to be mistaken for a boy. Other names I'm liking besides Gentry are...

Harper
    Harlow
    Quinn
    Cora
    Marlowe

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Harlow / Harper craze and don't see what all the fuss is about. I have no explanation for these opinions. Same with Marlowe, although I don't see it as often as the other two.

Love Cora and Quinn

Another girl name with nn Charlie is Charlize

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    kerismatickerismatic member
    edited June 2015
    No to Gentry... No to Charlie Harper (it is the name of the two and a half men character and IMO not someone you want to be naming your daughter after ... a boozing asinine whore... just to be clear I'm using those adjectives to describe the character, not your daughter).

Out of the second round of names, I'd say Cora and Quinn are okay.  Still NMS, but much better than the previous ideas.

ETA: and PS, congrats on your little girl.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • Options
    keri0517 said:

not someone you want to be naming your daughter after ... a boozing asinine whore... just to be clear I'm using those adjectives to describe the character, not your daughter).

LOL

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    Harper
    Harlow
    Quinn
    Cora
    Marlowe

Cora by a mile. Harlow and Marlowe I feel will be the stripper names of our children's generation. 
    Quinn is still masculine and Harper just isn't cute. 
  • Options
    To those of you that have children already or have names picked out, what are their names? Or other names you like? Just out of curiosity :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mattandloramattandlora member
    edited June 2015
    William Edgar and Margaret Josephine

Other girl names we considered as fn: Josephine, Caroline, Eleanor, Amelia, Victoria, Violet, Alexandra, Joanna

Mns: combo of above names. Also considered Faith, Claire, Pearl, Eloise, Eva, Lorraine, Ruth

Names we liked but couldn't use: Charlotte, Alice, Louise, Elizabeth, Catherine, Mary, Susanna, Anna, Elise

Edit: I didn't feel the need to list all the boy name options we went through. It was a few years ago, our opinions have changed, and OP is having a girl

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options

To those of you that have children already or have names picked out, what are their names? Or other names you like? Just out of curiosity :)

Our upcoming arrival will be Silas Eldon (Eldon is a family name) future boys- Jasper Allen or Oliver Allen. I also love Henry, Kellen, and Owen but won't use for various reasons.
    Only girl name we can agree on is Iris Eileen. But I would use Eileen as a first name, and also love Hazel. Love Olive and Caroline too but cannot use.

Of your longer list I love Cora. Agree with op Charlie is a fine nn but not a proper full name for a girl.
  • Options
    I like Cora and Quinn.

• Options
    I love Cora.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I forgot. I also love Audrey for a girl. DH said no, because it is the girl from the Vacation movie series. Seriously. He said that

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I know you really liked the idea of Charlie, how about Charlize as in Charlize Theron... hardly a negative association if you ask me.

14yo DS1 is Jakob Shiloh (ex picked the mn)
    10yo DS2 is Christian Michael (after DH's BFF who saved 2 other soldiers by pushing them from harm's way before being struck and killed by a drunk driver)
    5yo DD is Lilah Penelope

After hemorrhaging 3,000+ ml of blood last Monday I needed an emergency D&C at 9w2d. We had seen on-track growth and the heartbeat only a week before. We were/would still be team green and will be TTCAL asap.

Top names we are (still) considering if baby #4 is a girl are:

Cordelia Violet (Cora)
    Rebecca Genevieve (Becca)
    Naomi Therese
    Alexandra Caroline (Alexa)
    Cora Genevieve
    Genevieve Scarlett (Evie/Eva)

(Others that may rotate in are: Dahlia, Norah, Julia, Scarlett, Octavia, Aurelia, Calliope)

Because our last name is harsh and distinctly German, it's necessary to balance that with an uber-feminine first name.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that your open to other names besides Charlie. I like Cora from your new list and I actually don't mind Quinn for a middle name.

My daughters are Alexandra and Julia.
    Some other girl names we considered were, Juliet, Natalie, Heidi, Nicolette, Claudia, Noelle and Autumn.
  • Options
    2-Step2-Step member
    I LOVE Quinn! I would use it for a girl, but since I already have two boys I feel the need to go with something more feminine if this one is a girl. 
  • Options
    I also love Cora from your second list!!! And all of the names on your second list are better than Gentry or Charlie, in my opinion.

• Options

DS is Sean. DD is Bridget. We went into the hospital team green for both and with a list of girl's names (boy name was set). Our list was Margaret, Bridget, Elizabeth, and Katherine. Elizabeth and Katherine were quickly nixed after birth and I spent 2 days deciding between the other two. Bridget won out, but I suspect if we have another girl she will be Margaret. Of your second list, Cora really stood out to me.
  • Options
    I like Cora the best from your list!

Name considerations for this boy: Elias Angelo, Matteo Lee, Gabriel Angelo.

Names for a future girl: Rosalie, Jeannette, Alice, Lucretia, Alessandra, Clara, Annabeth, Vera, Serafina, Camilla
  • Options
    benmel31 said:

How about Charlotte Harper, nickname Charlie?  Then she would have a more feminine name to use as an adult.

Totally agree! My daughter is Charlotte but prefers to go by Charlie.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Okay, Gentry is not a name. Obviously. Throw it in the toilet and flush it like a tampon. Charlie Harper is a masculine name, and if I am not mistaken, the name of Charlie Sheen's character on Two and a Half Men. Don't you dare do that to your child.

Also, gender neutral does not mean taking a masculine name and slapping it on a girl. That is just wrong. If you really want a name that meets the criteria for gender neutral, go with something like Darcy, Whitney, or Shelby.

• Options
    LizWhiz87 said:
    Okay, Gentry is not a name. Obviously. Throw it in the toilet and flush it like a tampon. Charlie Harper is a masculine name, and if I am not mistaken, the name of Charlie Sheen's character on Two and a Half Men. Don't you dare do that to your child.

Also, gender neutral does not mean taking a masculine name and slapping it on a girl. That is just wrong. If you really want a name that meets the criteria for gender neutral, go with something like Darcy, Whitney, or Shelby.

Quoting my own thread, because I stand by what I said, but my tone may have been a little harsh, especially as I see now that you are open to suggestions. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and reply before I even see whats's going on in the thread. That said, I love your option of Cora. Would also suggest Claire, Cara, and Norah.