October 2015 Moms

Have you picked a name?

Now that my husband and I know the gender of our baby (it's a girl!) we have been trying to decide on a name. We think we have narrowed one down, but choosing a name that will be with her for the rest of her life is nerve wracking! Are any of you moms experiencing anything similar? Also, if you have decided, will you share with others right away or give it some time?

Alanna is the name we are thinking of giving her....opinions on the choice are welcome!

Re: Have you picked a name?

• We have our boy name picked out and have 3 options on our girl list. We aren't really keeping them a secret from the people we know. Alanna is a fav of mine. It was on our top 5 list but when we both took the chance to veto one my hubby vetoed it... Love it!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• We have not gotten serious about choosing a name for this baby boy yet. We kick a few around casually. Eventually I will feel like becoming more focused. I'm not finding it nerve-wracking to choose, but I agree it is an important decision. We have decided to not share the name until baby is born. We want to avoid negative opinions or reactions.

Alanna is a beautiful choice.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have narrowed down our list and ultimately chosen "the one" but my husband insists we wait till we see her. I'm okay with it though because we've had a few of our family members change last minute or once the baby is actually born. Hubs also wants to keep the name a secret but we've told a few people our top contenders. And all our family knows the one we like most as of now.

I agree Alanna is a very beautiful name!
  • Alanna is really nice :) we've decided on Odin for our boy as it's the only name that seems to click that we both agree on!
  • I think our baby girl is going to be Abigail Faye. It's not my fave name, but my faves have been vetoed. ( Eleanor is my #1) If we have a second girl, I think she'll be Phoebe. I like it, but I really want Faye for the mn because it was my grandma's middle name, and is my middle name, and my moms middle name is Fae (not sure why grandma spelled her Fae different!)

I'm unsure of Alanna's pronunciation. Does it rhyme with Anna or is it similar to Elena? Either way, it is cute! I Elena was another veto from DH.

We weren't going to share, but have started to recently. It seems to be all anyone asks about.
  • I love Odin btw!
  • I think Alanna is a very sweet name! I like the name Alaina, with a strong 'a', but that's on our list for next time!

We had chosen a name for DD at this point when I was pregnant last, and a month before she was born, one of my friends named her daughter the SAME FIRST AND MIDDLE NAMES. It's nothing personal since we hadn't told anyone, but it did make me want to figure out another name I loved just as much. We didn't actually commit to the name until about half an hour after she was born! :) For this one, we'll go into it with a handful of favorites, and then make the decision at the hospital. I like the pressure or something...? ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have a favorites list of 6-7 in my phone. We are team green though. I don't want to settle on one until we see the baby though. Don't feel the pressure it's not like you NEED to decide before then! But I do really like Alanna..
  • I love Alanna! Very pretty :) my husband and I are expecting twins, a boy and a girl. We've had the hardest time agreeing on names. We've picked Natalie Cole for our little girl but now we're stuck on our boys name :\
  • I love that name. We picked our name by the time I was about 16 weeks along. Weird probably but I started going through names almost immediately and when we found it, it was like a light bulb went off and we're sticking with it :)
  • We had names picked out before we found out the sex of the baby. As soon as we heard the name June we knew that was perfect. As for sharing, I don't have a lot of friends who are due before me so I have shared the name. If you are worried about someone stealing the name I wouldn't share it.
  • Thanks ladies for your advice! I know I don't have to decide right away but it would be nice to start calling her by her name. I would just hate to change my mind at the last minute. Ohhhh decisions!
  • Yup We do, it came to me inmy dream then on the radio! Meant to be! :)
  • I love Alanna... our first daughter's name is Audrina so we wanted to continue the A names, as me and my SO's name also start with A. I had originally like Adrianna, and Amalia for this baby but we ultimately decided on Anabelle. Its a tough choice but when it's the right one you'll feel it
  • Ours is picked out. We aren't sharing it with anyone except one close friend. I thought it would be hard to keep a secret, but it's actually not at all. Most people are very understanding when we say we're holding off until she's born. 

Also going to leave a plug here for the baby names board. I posted our ideas there and got a lot of good feedback and ideas. 
  • I had a nickname I really loved, Ellie, and we picked her name based on our favourite long version of that, Eleanor. At first it felt a little weird using it but the more we do the more I love it.
  • We are having a girl. It's been a struggle trying to agree on names. My choices: Scarlett, Aria, Aurelia, and violet. His choices: Evelyn, Jacqueline, and cosette.
  • casserole27casserole27 member
    edited June 2015
    If you dont know if you are sure I would say keep looking for one to beat it and if you keep going back to that same name, that's the one. That's how we knew which ones were right for us.

Edit:  I hadn't seen the second question.  We told both our parents the two names we like (Team Green), and have decided not to share with anyone else. It's hard enough making a decision without hearing the (often inconsiderate) comments from all your friends.  They can know when it's too late to complain about it.
    Oct15 October Siggy Challenge: Maternity Costumes
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • cmjn94cmjn94 member
    @redpandapop I love Aurelia!
  • We find out Wednesday what we are having but we have been set on a girls name Cora Jade and a boy we like Rayce but still not much for a boy. It's so hard.
  • ktlanyktlany member
    Alanna is a great name! We decided on a name a while ago, which I thought I would never do. But once we said it, it just felt like that is her name. We decided on Lucy Michele (Michele is my mom's name) and have been calling her that ever since. We've told everyone who asks, and everyone loves it! I feel more connected to her, and like she's already with us.
  • My first son is name Bryson Harvey john, he has 2 middle names after my deceased grandfather and his grandfather who had prostate cancer. So his name was easy and means something !

My second son will be Liam Joseph, he will have the same middle name as his father (: !
  • McRadMcRad member
    We are team green and don't have a name picked out for either sex.
    We have a top three name combs for boy and top three for girl. I think we are waiting to see what he or she looks like and name him or her then.
    We have shared our list with family but refuse to share the girls names with his sister. She's due a month before us with a girl and we don't want any "you stole our name" feelings even though they have one picked out and aren't sharing. Just want to avoid the possibility at all costs.
  • That's a pretty name! We have picked out a name for our little girl that is our winner unless we decide it doesng fit after she's born. We love the name Paisley Marie. We have a one syllable last name so it flows nicely. We aren't telling anyone until she's born what her name is. It's fun telling people they can't know her name yet lol.
  • Alanna is a great name!

We knew what our daughters name would be before we conceived (We seen it EVERYWHERE; billboards, books, scrabble etc) So we took that as a sign. Then we found out we are having a girl- so I think of it as she chose her own name. We only told my mom but no one else..... a friend of mine just announced her daugthers name and its the same as ours :( bummer but its ok. We love the name too much to think about changing it. 
  • Having a baby boy. My boyfriend insists on naming him after his father (frank) who unfortunately passed a year ago. We kind of made a quick deal I said yes and really shouldn't have. The deal was the he would be named Frank if he is born on my boyfriends birthday or his fathers. I'm due oct 8th boyfriends birthday is on the 5th his fathers on the 7th. He now won't even compromise on frank as a middle name. I really don't like it and I want to honor his father although I never met him. But I know how important he was to my boyfriend. I am in love with the name Evan and Noah. And Anthony for a middle name. Naming your child is very hard. I have a feeling I can't live with calling my son at the playground frank .. It doesn't sit well with me. Big decision ahead !!
  • We knew our baby girls name before we were ever pregnant. But EVERYONE we tell hates our name... My reply .... "Well good don't name your kid that" lol but baby girls name will be Brailey-Mae.
  • We have picked out a name and are not sharing it. My SO vetoed all of mine so I let him pick and I'm pretty sure the name he picked was "called" or "claimed" by at least three of my friends in the past. And my MIL keeps saying what we should name this one. So we just sent saying until this one is born and they can suck it up. :)

We are going with Brooklyn for a first name and still contemplating a middle name. :) we like it and that is all that matters
  • We had our names picked out before we even knew what he was. I fell so in love with the name we had picked out for a girl that I kind of got set on having a girl, Ramona Rae. Ramona was my bf's grandma's name, and her middle name was Rae...and ironically so is mine and my grandmas, who unfortunately passed away at the beginning of my pregnancy. So it was insanely perfect. We discussed it the night we found out we were pregnant and it stuck. Then after my gma passed it was that much more meaningful. Buuut we found out it was a boy, so we agreed on Jasper Kennedy. I wanted it to be Jasper Leon (Leon is was my gpas name) but it's tradition for the men in my boyfriends family to have the middle name Kennedy, him and his dad and his gpa all had it so I can't really break that tradition. So Jasper Kennedy it is. (:
  • We have names, and have no problem sharing them. We're team green anyway, so there's our "surprise." Don't want to put our families through TOO much anxiety, half of them are already begging to know what the sex is, lol.

Our boy name is Luca Charles (middle name runs in both of our families)
    Girl name is Vivia Marcella (middle name is a tribute to both of my grandmothers, who were Margaret and Martha)

We have a very long, very Italian last name...hence the ethnic names.

• Having a baby boy. My boyfriend insists on naming him after his father (frank) who unfortunately passed a year ago. We kind of made a quick deal I said yes and really shouldn't have. The deal was the he would be named Frank if he is born on my boyfriends birthday or his fathers. I'm due oct 8th boyfriends birthday is on the 5th his fathers on the 7th. He now won't even compromise on frank as a middle name. I really don't like it and I want to honor his father although I never met him. But I know how important he was to my boyfriend. I am in love with the name Evan and Noah. And Anthony for a middle name. Naming your child is very hard. I have a feeling I can't live with calling my son at the playground frank .. It doesn't sit well with me. Big decision ahead !!
    I have a nephew whose name is Francis, named after his mother's father who passed away. He goes by Frankie and it is SO cute. I know "Frank" sounds kind of old man, but "Frankie" is adorable for a little boy, IMO.
  • We settled on our boy's name 'cause my husband didn't want to brainstorm anymore. "No! We're dOne!" We kept vetoing each other's choices and the only name we agreed on was Miles. So I've been calling my little parasite Milo ever since. I like it more and more everyday. :) (Plus it's nice that I don't call him Parasite anymore...)
  • Boy: Rhys Mercer Y. Can't wait to snuggle him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are down to our top two! Keeping it a secret until she's born so we have something just for ourselves. I'm itching to decide now, and my husband is OK with waiting to make the decision until closer to her due date.

Seems like the front runner is Harley Katherine or Harley Jean and battling for first is Parker Jean (nickname PJ).
  • We had our names picked out before we even new the sex. We found out a few weeks ago that we're having a girl, so we're naming her Claire Evylin (middle name and spelling were my grandma's).

Alanna is a really cute name by the way!
  • We can't decide. We both like Wren Elizabeth. My husband likes Llewellen (but not Luella?!). I like Bronwen and Claire. So far the only name we both like is Wren. But I want to go in with a list of 3 and see our girl before we give her a name.
    CafeMom Tickers

• Not even close.  We thought we had it down to two but now it's up to six again.  With our boys we had names picked out easily right after the AS at 20ish weeks.  RIght now my top three are Filomena, Giada and Chiara and DH has Rosaria, Bianca and Giovanna as his top three.  The problem is we both like all of them.  I'm hoping to have something at least narrowed down in the next couple weeks. 

• We have had names picked out since about week 10. At 13 weeks we found out the sex (I had the cell free DNA done because I'm an older mom) and have been calling our little guy by his name since. We are keeping it a secret until he's born. He has a family name from both sides.