TTC After a Loss
Options

Can you answer this D&C question?

Hi Ladies, I posted this one the Miscarriage Forum, but i'm wondeirng if any of you might be able to answer this?

I had a D&C on June 5th for a Blighted Ovum miscarriage.  It was our first pregnancy and even though it was found early in the pregnancy it was still devastating.  I've been doing good emotionally after the surgery, it was almost like a closure for me, all up until today.  I received a bill in the mail from the surgery center and when I opened it I couldn't believe my eyes what the description of the surgery said. It reads "Treatment Of Missed Abortion".  I would never in my life have an Abortion!!!!  Isn't it supposed to read "Treatment of a Miscarriage"?  A blighted Ovum was a pregnancy where the baby never developed and made it to the sac so I don't understand how this is considered an "Abortion"?  I am just appalled, my dr never mentioned that this is the description of this surgical procedure, in fact on the papers I signed at the surgery center before I went in said "Dilation & Curretage" for miscarriage.  Talk about a way to re-open old wounds and make a person feel like a piece of s****.  Sorry, i'm just so upset and confused by this right now, and I was doing so good with healing emotionally and moving forward.  For people who have received their bills, what was the description on yours? 

Re: Can you answer this D&C question?

• Options
    I haven't received a bill so I am not sure about that, but medical websites refer to early miscarriages as "spontaneous abortions". I am fairly sure that is the medical terminology.
  • Options
    I was just told that on another site, its medical terminology. It just shocked me when I seen it because I would never have an intentional abortion in my life. Guess i'm just still touchy on the situation, with the bills starting come in its re-opening the healing wounds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, it is the medical term. It's not meant to be personal. My records read the reason for the D&C Monday was an incomplete abortion.

The way they differentiate between a miscarriage and complications from an abortion as we see it is that they use the term "elective abortion", or EAB for short.
  • Options
    I'm So sorry to hear of your loss. I had a similar and they write cervical evacuation.... I also have a situation now, mine was June 2nd 2015 and I wasn't sure when I should be expecting my period and I've done a test to which shows pregnant.. I'm wondering if it's the old HCG levels
  • Options
    Yes, some of my paperwork said missed abortion as well. And when I went for my pre-d&c bloodwork, the paperwork said "Diagnosis: fetal demise."  They should really think about how these terms affect us.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    The term abortion means ending of pregnancy regardless of if it is elective (forced) or spontaneous (natural). A miscarriage is also an abortion the only difference is it's just not on purpose. Unfortanetly the word abortion has a negative meaning.
  • Options
    I had a D&C in April and my bill said the same thing. I know how you feel.

BabyFruit Ticker

Married 6/22/2012 
    BFP 1/11/15~ M/C 4/7/15 @ 12 weeks
    BFP 6/07/15 ~ EDD 2/14/16