March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby hitting?

So as a FTM I didn't think I would have to think about discipline this soon! My LO is almost 4 months and she is really into touching faces and slapping faces hard. I have set her down when she has done this for a few minutes then pick her back up or redirect her with play. It's not something I want her doing to other people when she is held by them. Any tips?

Re: Baby hitting?

• Options
    I've never heard of disciplining an infant. My son pulls my hair and grabs at my face all the time. He's 3 months old and learning how to use his hands and exploring the world around him.
  • Options
    I honestly don't think she's doing this as an act of defiance. She's learning to use her hands and what she can do with them. She's not really aware of what she's doing. My 3 month old will hit or pull my hair. It's just her figuring out these things called arms! I really wouldn't worry about it. She's not being ugly. Just being a baby! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you're doing fine. Certainly there is some truth to the fact that your LO may be exploring her world and really doesn't have control over her actions, but there is a point when redirection is beneficial. After all, once crawling starts, you'll certainly want to start certain methods of discipline to prevent any accidents! There's a big difference between discipline and punishment; one is just another word for training and perfectly appropriate for this age, and one must be reserved for when your child can understand it. An older friend of mine whose kids are in college now tells of when her infant son started biting her during nursing and causing problems with his feeding (and her comfort!). She firmly told him "no" every time and pulled him away. After a few times, he stopped this habit and just required a "no" every so often to get back on track. Perhaps a similar form of discipline would work for you (seems sort of like you're doing it already!). It definitely is a parent's choice how they will choose to discipline and correct their children, but know that whatever your choice (outside of abuse), you know best what to do.
  • Options
    Yeah... 4 month olds barely realize their arms are attached to them, let alone try to hit you. 

As my son (now 4) got older and gained more awareness/motor control, when he hit or grabbed I would hold his hands and help him gently touch my face and say "gentle, soft touch, thank you" etc
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not really sure that babies understand or warrant discipline at this age. It is just what they do to explore. I can't imagine people mind a cute baby touching their faces and I can't imagine that it hurts anybody either.
  • Options
    Why would you specifically not want her doing it to other people? Is it out of embarrassment? I literally cannot imagine somebody judging either you or your tiny baby if she can't control her hands and is curious about their face. If it bothers you that much then just gently move her hands away and tell her no in a firm voice. Keep repeating and she'll get the point. But disciplining a 4 month old seems a bit pointless, as she's definitely not going to understand what she's doing 'wrong.'
  • Options
    If you feel she is actually doing it consciously, and not by accident or just pure development exploration , then you sound like you've got the right idea. At her age it's just a matter of basic conditioning ... When you hit mommy you get put down .... Like you're doing. That's how I did it with my daughter anyway. :)
  • Options
    Disciplining a 4 month old? A 4 month old is discovering and exploring, they don't know that they're hitting or that hitting can be considered mean and hurtful
  • Options
    My 3 month old hits but only because she's learning to move her arms more. She also pulls my hair but she's learning to grab things so she doesn't mean to. I just try to prevent my hair from getting in her reach and the hitting I just try to look out for it so I don't get it in the face. She doesn't know any better so I don't worry about it yet