May 2015 Moms

Daytime Sleep

Anyone else's baby only take 1 or 2 naps during the day? My 3 week old naps around 11 or 12 for 2-3 hours and then maybe again for an hour in the late afternoon and is down for the night around 7. Then he's up every 2-4 hours at night.

Re: Daytime Sleep

• Kye042Kye042 member
    That is my son exactly, it's very exhausting. But we can make it through!!!
  • Today my little one has slept so much. I'm not looking forward to tonight. I mean he's only really been up a couple of hours combined the whole day even with my attempts to wake him and play. Usually he takes 2 or 3 decent naps depending on how loud his big brother is.
  • Loading the player...
  • I find that sometimes when they sleep a lot during the day it helps they nighttime sleep. I read somewhere that sleep begets sleep and that the better rested babies are the better they sleep all around. I have generally found this to be pretty accurate.
  • Exactly @sailaplay. Under 8 weeks babies should be sleeping 15-16 hours per day. That basically leaves an hour per feed to be awake. By the time I feed, burp, and change my DS I am sometimes left with 10 minutes of playtime before we start trying to get him to sleep again. He is a champ sleeper at night! Most babies will become extremely overtired if they don't rest enough during the day. Then nighttime is even harder.
  • I try to put him to sleep more during the day but he's wide awake for 3-4 hours at a time and won't settle to sleep for longer than 5 minutes at a time.
  • awoo22awoo22 member
    I agree. If baby isn't sleeping a lot during the day, they have a harder time falling asleep at night. My baby was the same way until my mom can to visit and help. She has the baby sleeping pretty much the entire day except to feed and I was scared he'd be up all night. But nope! He actually sleeps even better at night because he's not overtired. That's also what I read on the bump articles as well. It's harder to get him to sleep during the day but because my mom is here and able to hold him for longer stretches, it's easier to keep him sleeping bc I can do errands while she watches him.
  • Try swaddling for daytime naps! Works really well for my baby. Also, I have heard and read that they shouldn't be awake for longer than 1.5-2 hours at this age!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hawk&Eye said:

Today my little one has slept so much. I'm not looking forward to tonight. I mean he's only really been up a couple of hours combined the whole day even with my attempts to wake him and play. Usually he takes 2 or 3 decent naps depending on how loud his big brother is.

sleep does beget sleep! For several days now ds2 has slept so much during the day and I've held my breath thinking night time would be horrible but he's had better sleep stretches at night than he has from day one! Felt pressure from family members to "wake that baby up!" Well I'm gonna let him sleep as much as he wants to! Could be growth spurt but I'm not messing with it. I have felt human for 3 days straight!

• mars8kmars8k member
    edited June 2015
    My 7 week old finished a growth spurt recently and cut down napping to 1 or 2 per day! And yes it takes way too long to put her to sleep and her "night" starts in the morning, i'm hoping this will fix itself cause sleep training isn't specialty!