Too late for a wrap? — The Bump
May 2015 Moms

Too late for a wrap?

krystal525krystal525
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
edited June 2015 in May 2015 Moms
Hey Moms. FTM here. My LO is six weeks old (today!) and I'm just ready and feeling brave enough to leave the house for extended periods on my own with her. I'd like to try putting her in a wrap. Is it too late for that? Did I miss the window? She's 7.5 lbs.

If it's not too late what sort of wrap should I get and how long can she use it?

Thanks!

Re: Too late for a wrap?

• By wrap, do you mean some kind of baby-wear or a swaddle?
  • I have a ktan and LO is 11 lbs and loves it falls right to sleep
    krystal525
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not too late! My wrap goes up to 25 lbs! My LO is almost 8 weeks and weighs 11.5 lbs and I wear her everyday! My wrap is from milksnob.com there are so many to choose from! I love mine!
    krystal525
  • Sorry--I meant baby-wear!

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone heard/used a Maya?
  • I started my baby in the moby wrap at 5 weeks. He freaking loves it. I just took him to the mall today and even went out to eat and he slept the whole time. It's life saver. I tried the mei Tai and bjorn. The only one I like is moby!
    krystal525stephv18Caileybugprplz
  • I started wearing mine at two weeks would have started sooner if I was braver. I know moms that wear their baby the day it's born for food skin to skin. There are lots of good videos on you tube to show you how to wrap. I'm using a homemade wrap that was made by a friend of mine I love baby wearing. It's the only way we go out in public and it keeps people from touching my LO as she is wrapped up in my chest.
    krystal525
  • I just started my 5 week old in a Caboo Close carrier today and I love it already. I have hands again! My husband was late home and I was able to prepare dinner and bathe my toddler without too much fuss. She had bad wind today and wouldn't settle properly until I put her in the carrier.

I had been using a babasling previously and hated it. It was over one shoulder so I got back pain and it didn't support her neck properly so I had to keep one arm under her which completely defeats the purpose! I asked a friend who is a baby wearing pro and owns 7 (yes 7!) slings which she preferred and she recommended the Caboo.

In certain areas you can visit sling libraries to test out different slings to see which suits you best?
    krystal525
  • My LO is 6 weeks old and about 8 lbs and I just started on Monday, I LOOOOVE it, and she does too!
    I went the ring sling route. I tried a Maya wrap first and did not like it because of the padded shoulder, it made it super awkward to move the arm on the side of the Rings... I ended up going to a store that sold them and got a Sakura Bloom Linen sling.
    It is awesome, 3 different moms stopped me at whole foods yesterday to ask about it because we both looked so comfortable. I would recommend watching YouTube videos about how to thread it and adjust it, it helped a ton!
    krystal525
  • My friend let me borrow her Boba wrap and her bjorn. My baby weighed more than yours at birth so you definitely aren't too late.
    I have used the Boba more and just tried out the bjorn this week.
    You tube is a life saver. I don't know how we lived without it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    krystal525
  • I have a Boba wrap, woven wrap, and mei tai. I prefer the two wraps. The Boba is really easy with babies at this age - it's my current favorite. I can put it on before heading out, unlike my other two. I went with Boba rather than Moby as the reviews said it was more breathable. Our summers get fairly warm, so that was important to me.
    krystal525
  • I started wearing my son when he was a week old. Your baby is still so tiny! You definitely didn't miss the window. We use the Moby and we both love it. My little guy always falls right asleep :) it's great when I'm shopping or walking our dog. My LO is 8 weeks old.
    krystal525
  • I'm using the Boba as well. It has been the greatest. There are 2 ways to wear baby with it. One newborn to 11 lbs. then over 11 lbs. there is another way to wear them that is more supportive. You are definitely not too late. I'm planning on using this for as loong as I can.
    krystal525
  • I have K'tan and love it because it's just a wear as-is (no ties, buckles, etc.) and is sized to your body.  It goes up to 35 pounds.  
    krystal525
  • Thanks everyone! I'm leaning toward a Boba in part due to price. I'm glad to see so many positive reviews! I'm probably going to pick one up tomorrow. I really excited to take her out in it!
  • I have a gauze wrap (Wrapsody breeze) that is great for summer, but it is not as soft as a stretchy wrap like a moby or boba. You can make a gauze wrap or buy one off etsy for a economical price

krystal525
  • I have a Maya wrap ring sling and love it! No padding in shoulder in mine though. LO is 4 weeks and approx 11 lbs. She loves being tucked in next to me, it's the only way I can get through a Target run.
    krystal525
  • Just started with LO at 4.5 weeks with the moby and we love it! ☺️
    krystal525agilber3
  • I started at 7 hours with a stretchy wrap and at 6 weeks (13 lbs) we've migrated to woven wraps, Mei Tei and Tula because they are more supportive and baby is getting heavy!!! Find your local babywearers group - they usually have all kinds of carriers that you can try on and/or borrow. Once baby hits about 15 lbs the stretchy wraps stop being comfortable. If you like wearing you'll likely want to invest in another carrier.
    krystal525
  • One more question: at what point do I stop using the newborn hold? Is there an age/weight marker for that?

I didn't know there were local babywearing groups--I'll definitely check them out.
  • rae430rae430
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 100 Love Its First Answer

One more question: at what point do I stop using the newborn hold? Is there an age/weight marker for that?

I didn't know there were local babywearing groups--I'll definitely check them out.

I think it starts become obvious as your baby grows. My LO is six weeks old, but is 11 lbs and is really tall. He started getting cramped in the newborn hold (his legs were getting all red and marked up by the wrap, and I could barely fit his body in the pocket) so I switched to kangaroo. Also, when they can hold their head up for some significant period of time, you can try another hold.
    krystal525
  • I just came home with my Boba. I figured I'd start here and if babywearing becomes something we want to continue, I'll invest in one of the other options. I'm planning to take her around the neighborhood tomorrow evening. I can't wait!
  • And, the Boba isn't really difficult to put on, even though the instructions look a little daunting at first.  Takes me a minute at most to tie mine on now.  LO does nap sometimes for me in it too, a bonus.  :)  Boba also makes an Ergo style carrier I might get if the summer turns out to be as hot as they are promising.
    krystal525
  • Thanks so much for the advice and support, ladies! My LO had been enjoying walks in her Boba. She's so comfortable that she winds up falling asleep and I love having her close to me.

I do feel like she drops a little in the wrap though once we start walking. Is that normal? Could that be a function of me not wearing it tight enough? Any suggestions on how to make sure she doesn't slink down lower? I've watched a few YouTube videos and I think I have everything right.
  • I had the same issue when I used my Moby wrap (LO sunk down as time went on). Also, I hated that i couldn't check her feet and legs to make sure they weren't being crushed... every time I took her out the looked so squished and I was terrified of hurting or damaging her little feet. I ended up investing in a Beco Gemini carrier and it is one of the best things I've ever bought. DH also loves it... so much that we fight over who gets to wear her when we go out (and it's pink!)!
    krystal525