April 2015 Moms
Options

Going back to work in 2 weeks.. Only breastfeeding

I'm very scared to leave my son because he refuses to drink formula.. And my milk supply seems to be just enough to satisfy him right now and I can't seem to pump much to save any for him. I've tried enfamil newborn, and the gentlease, doesn't like either kind. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance..

Re: Going back to work in 2 weeks.. Only breastfeeding

• Options
    kkdb14kkdb14 member
    Mine does well on Similac, both the sensitive and the discomfort kinds (orange and lilac tubs). Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When are you trying to pump? Usually pumping after the first feed in the morning (immediately following or 30 minutes after) will yield the greatest volume. Even if you don't get much initially keep at it & your body should adjust.

As for introducing formula, I would mix it with any breastmilk you get to help your LO acquire the taste. Gradually you can increase the formula proportion until you are at 100%.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice!
  • Options
    I use the Similac for supplementing and he seems to like that, but he will not drink the Enfamil supplementing formula. When someone is babysitting him I have them switch back and forth between the formula and pumped breast milk so that I don't have to pump as much. Also, to be able to pump, I will sometimes feed him the formula for one of his feedings so that I can pump what he would normally have been drinking.
    **TW**
    BFP #1 5/5/13  MC confirmed 5/9/13
    BFP #2  9/24/13  Ectopic pregnancy + partial right tube removal 10/18/13
    BFP #3 8/13/14 DS born 4/24/15
    BFP #4 1/13/16 DD born 9/17/16 
    BFP #5 5/16/18 EDD 1/29/19

Lilypie - Bze6

• Options
    RSupryRSupry member
    I use similac soy and breastmilk. He switches back and forth pretty easily.
  • Options
    Have you had someone else try to feed your LO? My LO will not take formula from me but does fine for everyone else!
  • Options
    NickiochNickioch member
    edited June 2015
    Something that's been a bit of comfort to me was learning that you really only need to pump enough for the following day. I was in a panic over the pressure to build a supply up but feel better (returning to work on Monday :() knowing that I'll have made enough. Plus when you're at work you're pumping when you're body is used to breastfeeding so you'll be producing the proper amount for the day. Good luck!