1st Trimester
Options

Dollar store pregnancy test or spend the $$ on the brand name?

Just wondering if people had experience with either of these and what they felt was more accurate?  Thanks!

Re: Dollar store pregnancy test or spend the $$ on the brand name?

• Options
    Honestly, the dollar store brand pregnancy test is actually as sensitive and accurate as the Early Response brand. I used a dollar store brand for my first two pregnancies and only used an Early Response this time around because my mother got one for me. All of my pregnancies were found to be positive just before or at four weeks with these tests.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    laur0nlaur0n member
    I used a dollar tree test first and when it came back positive, I went to Walmart and got clear blue. I couldn't bring myself to buy an expensive test first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got a .88 cent test from walmart and when it popped up with those two pink lines, I ran to the store for a digital one! I hear plenty of women get the cheaper ones when they are TTC, that way they will be on hand and more cost effective.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Just wondering how accurate they are.  I'm due to start aunt flow any day, but I'd rather know that I'm not prego than just wait on aunt flow to show up.  I feel like the let down will not be as harsh if I know that going into it.
  • Options
    i used wondflos which are about 38 cents each.  they allowed me to anxiously check every day without guilt.  once i had a faint line, i confirmed with a FRER which showed a slightly stronger positive. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I used wondfos from Amazon and then I confirmed with dollar store tests. This was a day BEFORE my missed period
  • Options
    I have never heard of .38 or .88 cent tests that's crazy !! I always just buy Walmart brand 2 pack for like 13$ ! Except this time cause I got my husband to pick them up and he got first response
  • Options
    I used the dollar store ones with my first pregnancy and both came up a clear positive !
  • Options
    My experience has been opposite of pretty much everyone, lol. I had been of birth control for 4 months, and we had been buying tests every month. When I should have started in May but was a few days late, we bought one of the cheapies from dollar general. Negative :( But then when Aunt Flow still hadn't come in another week we bought the more expensive digital 2 pack. Two positives :):)
  • Options
    I know clear blue digital isn't as sensitive (I think it's 50miu) so it's good to use once you've got a bfp with another test to confirm how far along you are. I got my positives the day after my period was due with cheapy tests. I'm in UK so not the same brands as U.S. mummies, I just got them off amazon, think they're 20miu.
  • Options
    They are all the same. I was traveling in rural India when I needed to take a pregnancy test. I bought my test for 50 rupees which is equivalent to around 78 cents.
  • Options
    When I first got my BFP I used an expensive First Response test and one of the 88 cent Wal-Mart tests within a day of each other. The line showed up darker on the cheapie test than the FRER.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got my first positive on a cheapie 8dpo. It was very faint, but I was impressed given how early it was. I proceeded to take like 8 other ones of various brands over the next week or so. I used the digital towards the end because I know they are less sensitive.
  • Options

i used wondflos which are about 38 cents each.  they allowed me to anxiously check every day without guilt.  once i had a faint line, i confirmed with a FRER which showed a slightly stronger positive. 

Exactly this. OP if you want to confirm negative before your period would start I'd use cheapie tests...keeping in mind though that if you were pregnant and you implanted on the later side, you could very easily see early negatives followed by a positive at 13-14 dpo. That's not a false negative, that's just that it takes time for the hcg to build up in your system.
  • Options
    They work just as good. Either one. I bought the dollar store brand cause I sent hubby out and it's the closest place to our home. It was accurate
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    My husband bought the $0.88 test from Walmart. 1 test and it worked :)
    I don't see a point in paying for the expensive ones. My husband bought the best ones last time... Same result.
  • Options
    Bought cheapie tests and got negatives all the way to 12dpo, didn't test on day 13, used a FRER at 14 and got a very clear positive. The cheap ones just aren't as sensitive so you won't get the positive as early, if you're going to get one. I probably would have gotten my BFP sooner if I had been using the expensive ones, so it depends on whether you want to know sooner, or if it's been long enough for a less sensitive test to detect the amount of HCG in your system. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dollar store test worked great for me. 
  • Options
    I took 3 dollarstore tests; first one before my expected period and it came back negative, but then I took another 4 days after my due period and had the 2 little lines, so I took the third to confirm and sure enough...2 little lines again! :)
  • Options
    I just order a multi-pack of Wondfo tests on Amazon. They're cheap and accurate.
  • Options
    I LOVE DTS! 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love dollar tree test. Got my BFP at 6 DPO!
    I'm still POAS because I'm obsessed and I wanted to keep testing until my line was as dark as the control line lol I also took at FRER and digital at 14 DPO.
  • Options
    I used the dollar store brand after the name brand test I had didn't seem to work (no control line) and it popped up with 2 lines quickly. They are accurate just a little more work as you have to pee into a cup first and use the dropper!