June 2015 Moms
Options

Catheter after vaginal delivery

hi all! I had a vaginal delivery Monday afternoon and have had a catheter on and off since then with no luck peeing on my own. They are sending me home with one attached to my leg. Anyone go through this? When did you start peeing again?

Thanks!!

Re: Catheter after vaginal delivery

• Options
    With all three of my kiddos, my brain/body would not let me pee after delivery. I wound up with a one-time catheter immediately following birth. Once I got past the initial 'dump,' all was well and I could pee. It truly was a psychological fear for me. My suggestion is to make sure no one is around when you make some time to sit on the toilet; run some water if you feel better. I also used the spritzer thing they give in the hospital. Good luck! Just know that the more you stress, the more likely it is that this will continue. Frustrating, I know!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I did kegals my whole pregnancy and have been able to control it great. I recommend doing them they should help. Hope it gets better for you soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!! At first I thought it was mental but I am hardly any pain. I am able to go a bit by when they give me the catheter they realize there is so mucj more ugh!!!
  • Options
    CuijCuij member
    I narrowly avoided the catheter this time but needed it last delivery. This time I'm a week post delivery and even though I didn't need the catheter I'm still having some trouble releasing urine. It can take a while for everything to get back to normal. Keep drinking lots of fluids to help your body get its shit together!
  • Options
    Sit in a warm bath or get in the shower and just try to pee in there. The longer the catheter stays in the harder it will be to pee on your own and not to mention increases your likelihood of a UTI!
  • Options
    This was my biggest fear. I have a huge mental block related to peeing and emptying my bladder (I have a huge history with UTIs so when I fear the pain I clench up). Definitely try sitting in the sitz bath and peeing at the same time. Also lean forward that can help to empty it fully.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    ElRubyElRuby member
    Any chance they can prescribe you a muscle relaxer? It could help and the experience of going will reduce the psychological fear of going again.
  • Options
    All good ideas. Thanks everyone! However, they ended up sending me home with a catheter. Hope all will be good when it comes out on Monday.

• Options
    I know this may not help you (hope all goes well Monday), but for other moms, I second the shower suggestion. I wasn't able to go right away after delivering my first and my midwife told me that I couldn't leave until I'd peed or she'd have to cath me. Being in the warm shower allowed me to go.
      Blessed Mama to the sweetest boy in the world (11/9/13), one angel baby, and two fur babies: Mattie Dog and Stanley Cat.
  • Options
    kbbtahkbbtah member
    @laurenb113 excuse my ignorance, but will you have to change your own catheter or go back in frequently to have a new one put in? Ive heard (and maybe our nurse mommas can correct me) catheters should be changed every 24 hours to avoid infection. ??? Hope everything works out well for you.
  • Options
    I had to have one after delivery for awhile due to swelling and so many stitches....
    We've sent patients home with catheters before. It's no fun but eventually you will pee on your own.
    Swelling can be a bitch.
  • Options
    Frogger5 said:

Well, add this possibility to the list of things no one bothered to mention to this FTM.

OMG, right?!
  • Options
    I hate to scare anyone but I've not pee'd since I had my daughter 5 years ago. I have had to self Cath from then on. The Dr thinks it's a mixture of trauma and existing back issues.
  • Options
    @kbbtah I have had it in since i left the hospital on Thursday. I go to my ob tomorrow to have it removed. Thanks for all the feedback. Crossing my fingers all is good when I try and pee tomorrow.