March 2015 Moms

My baby will not take a bottle!

just need some advice my baby is breastfed and I introduced a bottle at 1 month and she did fine up untill recently! She is now 3 months old. I recently went back to work and she starves all day and I work 12 hour shifts. I have tried many different bottles but I don't know why she just stopped taking bottles. She got them here and there but not on a regular basis. I have read some things online but didn't know if anyone had advice from their expireience.

Re: My baby will not take a bottle!

• No experience in this, but I hope you are able to find a solution! Sounds like an awful thing to go through. I'm assuming you've tried different bottles and nipples? She might want a faster or slower flow. Hoping you get a better answer than mine soon and are able to take the time you need to get her acclimated to a bottle once more!
  • kjpewkjpew member
    My LO did the same thing. She used to take a bottle like a champ (pumped milk only. I have not tried formula) but then at 11 weeks started refusing. I am a SAHM, but am required to be at some events for my husband's law firm. It was awful to get home and find out that LO had refused to eat. So I started asking family members to give her a bottle while I was around so that she could get used to others feeding her but I could still nurse her if she absolutely refused. It was tough at first, but slowly she started taking the bottle again and after a week of this she is back to taking a bottle of pumped milk without problem. I know this would be tough with your work schedule, but maybe try when you're home in the evenings? I think my LO just needed to know that I was still there for her and then we slowly transitioned to me being gone when she took it, starting with me being in the next room and then eventually not there at all. Not great advice, I know, but worth a try. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • kfooy1kfooy1 member
    My lo was great then bad and we switched to a bottle once a day of bm and he's been much better. But it freaked me out at first him not eating hen I read a forum that mentioned that if he sleeps for all night we jump for joy but they don't eat when they are sleeping but if hey don't eat for stretch during the day we worry. It's a different way of looking at for me and realized that they will be okay if they don't take the bottle and will when they are hungry. it helped me not stress AS much putting in those terms but try different bottles and same thing that does work every time good luck it's a challenge some times:(
  • My Lo took bottles in the beginning then started refusing them as well ... She only takes the munchkin Latch bottles now I got them at target & the Breastmilk has to be warmed up to how my body temp is otherwise she won't drink it . Maybe your not warming up the milk enough of don't have a fast / slow enough flow size ? Hope this helps
  • My daughter did the same thing. She would cry through them about that age too. I think with time she will get the hang of it. Just keep trying and stay consistent with the type of bottle. My daughter eventually just started taking it. Good luck mama!
  • We are struggling with the same thing with our son. He took a bottle happily at 5 weeks but he didn't get one for a few weeks and when hubby tried to reintroduce it he rejected it and has ever since. We are still working on it but the suggestions I've gotten that are getting us closer are: 1. give baby the breast in the morning and at night bc they crave comfort most at those times. Only try the bottle during the day when they aren't starving or needing comfort. 2. Distract the baby while feeding...ours took a little milk the other day when I made him smile a bunch and then brought him outside and was talking cheerfully to him as I put the bottle nipple to his lips. I made eye contact like I do while bf'ing and the combination of talking to him and the breeze seemed to distract him and he drank a little. 3. Like the others said, make sure it is warm enough 4. Stop and try later if the baby gets angry. Don't force it into their mouth or force when they are angry/screaming. They'll quickly learn to hate the bottle and associate it with only negative feelings.

Munchkin latch is the one that is working best for us out of like, 10 kinds. Also, we've had a little luck dipping the nipple in pedialyte. A Dr. suggested it. Good luck! Hope it works for both of us!