April 2015 Moms

Postpartum anxiety...

Hi all!!! FTM here. My son is 9 1/2 weeks now and he is sleeping from 10-10:30pm to 5am which is great. The problem is I am waking up in the middle of the night (2:30am) for the last three days with anxiety.. I started to speak with a counselor (who thinks I don't have PPD thank god but is sure I have Postpartum anxiety)... Is anyone out there experience the same??? What are you taking/doing??? Help please!!!

Re: Postpartum anxiety...

• Hi - I can completely sympathize, I too am finding the anxiety hard to control and tricky to speak with others about. I have a few fellow FTMs that I can share with and this has helped - to know is a struggle that a lot of us have to work through and to speak my fears out loud helps me rationalize.
  • I'm experiencing a great deal of anxiety and depression dealing with my return to work in a week. It's really good that you're talking to a professional if it's keeping you awake at night. I definitely find I have harder days when I'm lacking sleep and fresh air. Try to do little things like get outside or run and errand with baby. Even just taking the dog out helps me feel a bit more balanced and "normal " sometimes. Good luck to you
  • Loading the player...
  • *an errand, not and
  • I feel horrible having this anxiety but the counselor said is normal but for me is getting hard to deal with. Are you taking anything??? I feel so tired right now because of the lack of sleep the worse is that the baby is sleeping beautiful the whole night... I just wish my insomnia goes away fast as my anxiety too... Good luck to you I start working in three weeks...
  • I had anxiety issues after we got home from the hospital with our son and I was put on medication for it. It seemed to help, until I had to go back to work. (I really didn't have a problem going back to work with our first son) I'm now even more of a hot mess than I was when we got home from the hospital so anxious that I'm nauseous all the time and have barely eaten all week....
  • I am definitely experiencing postpartum anxiety. I constantly check him to make sure he is still breathing, I am terrified of germs from other people or kids and I am terrified to take him anywhere alone.
  • I'm on Zoloft right now. My anxiety is really bad. I'm afraid to be home alone with the kids too long. My husband worked nights many weeks following LO's birth, which didn't help. I think of it as a temporary phase while I adjust to my new life. If it doesn't get better in a couple months, I will seek counseling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @erikaluna01 I had The same feeling of not wanting to be alone at home with the baby too long.. I feel you when you said you think about it as a temporary phase while adjusting to your new life I am doing exactly the same... It will pass and it will be ok. I was put meds today to control my insomnia and anxiety... Good luck to you ladies as well...
  • @ltrodriguez05 are you a long time sufferer of anxiety? I am and these big changes just set me back every time. I don't think mine is post partum, more like general anxiety.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I struggle with ppd and anxiety. It's a difficult combination because some days I don't have the energy to interact with my LO all that much but then I have anxiety and guilt about it since my DH works 10 or 12 hours a day then comes home and takes care of the baby at night if I don't have the energy. My best advice would be to talk to your doctor or join a mommy group. Being in a mommy group is a nice (and free) way to get out of the house with LO and just talk to other moms.