Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Formula question

My LO is 6.5 months now and usually I premade his formula before bed and heat it up in the microwave when I need it at night. However, our microwave died tonight whilst cooking dinner and I now have to make his bottles 'on demand' during the night.

I was wondering, is it ok to give cold formula at this age or does it still need to be warm? I'm a FTM and can't remember what my mom did with my brother and she's on a different continent than me at the moment and the time difference is not pleasant to ask her about it >_>

Thanks!

Re: Formula question

• I think it would be fine.
  • My first was formula fed and I NEVER gave her warm formula. Never heard of it being a requirement. Especially not warmed in the microwave... Those are notoriously unreliable and could create hot spots in the bottle that might burn baby's mouth. I would recommend heating in a cup/pot of hot water. As for temperature, wouldn't it be easier to just mix the night bottle 'on demand' when baby actually wakes? It would save you a trip to the fridge and waiting for warming up... Just keep a bottle of water handy and mix when baby wants to eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • The formula I use is Japanese cause I live in Japan and the directions say boil water to 70 Celsius then cool then give to baby. So I made them with hot water, put them in the fridge, and heat them up via microwave when I needed them because cooling them down takes up to half hour if I do in demand and have to run it under water to cool it down before giving it.
  • My DS is 6.5 months and drinks his cold or warm. He slurps them down either way. 
  • edited June 2015
    MommyMoru said:

The formula I use is Japanese cause I live in Japan and the directions say boil water to 70 Celsius then cool then give to baby. So I made them with hot water, put them in the fridge, and heat them up via microwave when I needed them because cooling them down takes up to half hour if I do in demand and have to run it under water to cool it down before giving it.

It doesn't matter if it's Japanese or any other kind. They tell you to boil water so that it is sterile. I had my first in Switzerland and used Swiss powder there. My sister lives in Poland as used formula there... Directions are the same everywhere. Boil water, cool, mix... What i found useful was to boil a bunch of water in a tea kettle in the morning, and keep it on the kitchen counter either in the kettle or in a large water bottle. Maybe try that. In the US water quality standards are very high, esp where you have city water, that people typically don't need to worry about boiling. I still did once we were back, but that's just me.
  • MommyMoru said:

The formula I use is Japanese cause I live in Japan and the directions say boil water to 70 Celsius then cool then give to baby. So I made them with hot water, put them in the fridge, and heat them up via microwave when I needed them because cooling them down takes up to half hour if I do in demand and have to run it under water to cool it down before giving it.

It doesn't matter if it's Japanese or any other kind. They tell you to boil water so that it is sterile. I had my first in Switzerland and used Swiss powder there. My sister lives in Poland as used formula there... Directions are the same everywhere. Boil water, cool, mix... What i found useful was to boil a bunch of water in a tea kettle in the morning, and keep it on the kitchen counter either in the kettle or in a large water bottle. Maybe try that. In the US water quality standards are very high, esp where you have city water, that people typically don't need to worry about boiling. I still did once we were back, but that's just me.
    I didn't know all formulas were the same :) That's kind of relieving to know!
  • Just get a pot of boiling water and place the bottle with the formula in there for a few mins. My oldest got used to warm formula. One time, I gave him cold formula and he refused to drink it. Just be careful not to let the plastic touch the pan directly where there's no water, like on the top sides. (I ruined a bottle top like that bc it melted. Lol)
    Don't leave the stove unattended please.
  • Cold formula is fine as long as you prepare/store it according to directions and it is not too old. Not all babies are willing to drink formula straight from the fridge so you will just have to try with your LO :) When I give DD cold formula she spits most of it out, but she is perfectly fine with room temp.
  • My sister used to boil the water that is sufficient for the whole night,make it warm and store it in the vacuum bottle. So the water used to be warm as long as it is stored in that vacuum bottle. If you are worried about the warm water then you can follow this process. Hope this helps you.
  • My brother and his gf just keep purified bottled water to make his sons formula with. They always make it at room temperature.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Go ahead and try cold formula. If he doesn't like it, just make sure you have a pot of boiling water ready to dip the bottle in. Might even be a good idea to get a bottle warmer from Target. I think ours was like $20.