TTC After a Loss
Options

How long should you wait to TTC?

my doctor suggested waiting two months before TTC. People are saying that is a normal thing for the doctor to say and that we can safely start right away. I miss misscarried at nine weeks on 5/16. AF is here and wondering is it a bad idea to start charting ovulation next week and start TTC??? Too soon?

Re: How long should you wait to TTC?

• Options
    I would start charting this cycle, just so you can see the pattern, but I would listen to your doctor.  There is a reason that they make recommendations, it is based on your history, and their knowledge.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I mc'd really early at 5 weeks and my ob said we could (physically speaking, at least) proceed as though it had been AF and didn't have to wait at all. Though I've read so many different things! What bntfroggie said makes sense in terms of the doctor's recommendations taking multiple things into account. 

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Options
    I think it depends on how far along you were when you had a mc. The bigger the baby was the longer time it takes to recover. I had a mc last month and I was about 8 weeks and I have an appointment next month and they said if everything looks good then we can start ttc. Honestly I personally believe when your body gets pregnant it is ready to support a baby. I heard most doctors want you to wait so your period can get on a regular cycle and the pregnancy can get accurately tracked so they can catch abnormalities sooner rather than later. I would listen to your doctor so you can be fully ready and prepared the next time you're pregnant. The wait is terrible if your just as anxious as I am to conceive. Good luck :) hugs!!
  • Options
    I think you should listen to your Dr. Sure, your body may be able to get pg again, but it may not be able to support the pregnancy which may set you up for another loss.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    I am not sure if it depends on each ones circumstances. I had an anembrionic pregnancy, the baby stopped developing at week 6 and I had a D&C at week 10. My doctor told me to wait 2 weeks before having intercourse. But said I can start trying as soon as I feel ready for it. So here I am
  • Options
    I miscarried last week at a little over 11 weeks
    I have a follow up appt this upcoming Wednesday
    Not sure how to feel about trying again
    This being my first MC after trying for 4 years and having a 6 yo son
    I don't want to fail again
    I relive that night in my head all the time and don't ever want to experience it again
    But I do want my son to have a brother or sister
    When does everything go back to being somewhat normal?
  • Options
    @foliver82 I'm 2.5 months out from my mc and i'm still all over the place :(
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    Think its diff for every person. Im waiting my 2nd period since the mc and once it comes I'm ready to try again. The first month was really tough and i still momentarily stare at women with bumps but im in a much better place now.
    The Bump board and friends that experienced a MC have been of huge help and hubby and I are ready to try again.
    Im glad I grieved when I did. Going through the motions helped me overcome it.
    Sending you best wishes @foliver82 ...!
  • Options
    I miscarried at 6 weeks and was able to start ttc straight away. I suppose it depends on your circumstances of the miscarriage, good luck!
  • Options
    I had a D&C about 5 1/2 weeks ago at 14 weeks. Dr suggested I wait 3 months to TTC for both physical and mental health reasons. I'm still waiting for my next cycle and will probably wait the 3 months before TTC Because it works better for me and the hubby. However, the Dr told my sister to wait 3 months but she conceived immediately after and is now 8 weeks from due date.
  • Options
    I agree that I think it is best to follow your doctor's recommendations. For starters, she knows your history and circumstances and genuinely wants you to have a healthy successful pregnancy. In addition, if you did not follow her recommendations and something went wrong, you may feel guilty. (Not that it would be your fault, but when our hormones are raging and there's no specific reason to blame the miscarriage on, we tend to get introspective.) my doctor said she for sure wants me to wait for my first AF b/c then we'll schedule a SIS since she saw calcifications in my uterus and in the embryonic sac. She wants to make sure it is nothing that will affect my next pregnancy. I know this waiting period sucks, but it will be worth it when you have your beautiful rainbow baby. (I do miss the pregnancy symptoms, though. While unpleasant, they meant my dreams of being a mom were close.) charting ovulation is never a bad thing to do, though, to re-learn your body's rhythm.
  • Options
    hk0908hk0908 member
    I had a natural miscarriage at 12.5 weeks (babies measured 9.5 weeks). I went to my follow-up appt after I stopped bleeding and my doc said to wait a few more days to be sure it has stopped and then we could start trying immediately. I'm not sure about after a D&C, but in my case doc said the only reason to wait would be for their benefit, to know when you conceived. But he said that's what ultrasound machines are for. Medically speaking, there is no proven reason to wait. :)