April 2015 Moms

Colic advice/help!!!

My LO is 9 weeks old and interestingly enough until about a week ago I just thought crying this much was normal. I feel dumb typing that. I got together with a few friends with babies the same age, who were able to hold a convo during their day trip and do things, whereas I was trying to calm a hysterical baby the entire time. They asked me if the dr mentioned colic and I said no not really.

I had an appointment with my dr that week and as he was crying throughout the visit asked if something could be wrong? He ruled out certain things after a few tests and said that basically it seems he is colicky and his recommendation is to do what I can to keep him calm.

Anyway - I hate complaining bc for that hour of happy time I get during the day he is of course perfect.

I am hopeful that people have words of wisdom, advice - anything! When did your babies colic end?

Re: Colic advice/help!!!

• My LO is 7 weeks and is also quite colicky! I have found that turning on vacuum cleaner sounds (YouTube video) works the best to calm him down. It doesn't always last a long time but it does allow me to regain my sanity for a moment! Good luck to you!
  • I cannot praise the 5 S's method enough. We learned it from "The Happiest Baby on the Block". It's swaddle, side/stomach, sucking, swing and shush. When your baby gets fussy for no apparent reason, swaddle him tight, cradle him in your arms on his side, give him a passifier, swing him from side to side, and make a "shushing" noise, or use a white noise machine. All of these steps are meant to imitate the womb's atmosphere. It should calm him down quickly. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • gittybaby said:

I cannot praise the 5 S's method enough. We learned it from "The Happiest Baby on the Block". It's swaddle, side/stomach, sucking, swing and shush. When your baby gets fussy for no apparent reason, swaddle him tight, cradle him in your arms on his side, give him a passifier, swing him from side to side, and make a "shushing" noise, or use a white noise machine. All of these steps are meant to imitate the womb's atmosphere. It should calm him down quickly. Good luck!

This helped us.
  • Try to see a chiropractor, it did wonders for us!
  • My 14 week old has colic. Wearing him in a wrap has been a lifesaver. His colic was at its worst around 8-11 weeks old, but seems to have improved in recent weeks. My pediatrician says it is significantly better by 4 months and gone by 6 months.
  • My 8 week old has colic as well. The 5 S's method has worked for us too.

Also, I bought a big exercise ball to bounce on with him and that quiets him right down. I read that it makes him feel similar to being in the womb while I walked around. At night before bed I give my little man a warm bath and put a wash cloth on his tummy. He loves baths so this helps quiet him down. Another thing I did was look up some exercises on pinterest that I can do while holding him and the movement of that helps quiet him down too. Also, wearing him in a wrap helps.

We also discovered that on top of colic our little man has reflux which also was one of the reasons he would cry a lot. Since we started him on the reflux medication he will sleep for 4-6 hour spans at night.

Hope some of that helped!
  • This helped my baby girl too.
  • Thanks all! I will try some suggestions. This is so tough-just hoping it ends soon!
  • Hang in there. For me it's the hardest when people say things like "I'm so glad I never had a colicky baby" when I'm trying to calm him down. Or when my mil doesn't listen to me about what works for my baby. Or of course those middle of the night scream in your face for a few hours sessions... However, I wouldn't trade my beautiful little hulk man for the world. (my husband and I call him the hulk because of the way he goes from calm to screaming so quickly).

Also, don't be hard on yourself. I honestly didn't know my little man was colicky until the pediatrician was asking us questions about it because he cried so much during an appointment. I wouldn't really of known either until she said something. I'm a ftm too.

Just wanted to add that bouncing on the exercise ball works so well that we made both sets of grandparents get a ball for their houses!
  • Everything PP said: vacuum, carrier, exercise ball, bathroom fan, 5S are good calmers.

Remember to put baby down and go in a different room for 10-15 minutes if you feel overwhelmed. Try to recruit someone, a friend or grandparent, to relieve you for little or long periods of time.

Also, you had said you thought this much crying was normal, this is your new normal, so try not to compare your baby to others. I did this a lot with my first, which led me to jealousy, anger at my own baby and a lot of self pity... Pretty ugly traits. Just remember, everything is a phase, and this too shall pass.
  • Vent fan on the microwave is amazing. Quiets our son immediately. Are you breast or bottle?we are bottle and had to switch to predigestive formula and he is a whole new kid. We thought it was colic but it was all digestive.