December 2015 Moms
Options

Panera Bread

I've stuck to soups and salads at Panera for the last few months. Now my sister in law is telling me Panera isn't lunch meat so the sandwiches are safe to eat. (I've been craving them really badly otherwise I'd just ignore this new bit of info). So does anyone know? Are Panera sandwiches on the do not list?

Re: Panera Bread

• Options
    A lot of them are served warm. Everything in moderation.
  • Options
    .... The meat on most Panera sandwiches is still deli meat. Any type of sliced meat served cold is considered deli meat, sandwhich meat whatever you wanna call it, it's all the same thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They can steam it for you, as long as the lunch meat is heated up you should be fine!
  • Options
    Mmmmm. Now I really want a bagel from Panera bread!
  • Options
    Lol thanks ladies. I said it was still lunch meat. Don't mind sticking with something else for now.
  • Options
    I've been told that as long as the lunch meat comes from a reputable source IE subway, panera you are pretty safe. Given I ate at subway today and got tuna (also one of those moderation foods). I saw your pretty safe but it's up to you. Good luck with your cravings!
  • Options
    My understanding is any meat that has been processed and reformed into some kind of tube shape (similar to how hot dogs are made) has a risk of listeria until heated. It doesn't matter where its from or if it's a premium brand or not. So sliced pieces of turkey and chicken need to be heated unless they are carved from a real turkey/chicken.

Some of the panera sandwiches are real shredded chicken and would be fine. Those are served hot anyway.
  • Options
    My doctor told me the same thing...LOL, exact words were "American, women blow these things up". They said I can eat whatever I ate before in moderation and just cut back on certain things. I've had sushi, lunch meat, fast food..etc and have had zero problems!
  • Options
    My PA said, if I want a turkey sandwhich have a turkey sandwhich!
  • Options
    I stick to their chicken or turkey. I would be depriving myself of a lot of I didn't allow a little lunch meat every once in a while. Honestly, I'm a big ice cream eater and I have heard more cases of listeria from that over meat. 
    Due 11.16.17
    Baby Girl 12.9.15
    MC 2.1.15 @ 5 W - Chemical
    MC 4.7.14 @ 21 W - Turners Syndrome

• Options
    A panini is safe... And tastes better. Mmm. That's what I want for lunch.

imageimage

• Options
    @Embuzz247 Jimmy John's tastes AMAZING right now!!
  • Options
    According to my OBGYN, the real reason ppl avoid lunchmeat is because of the threat of listeria and this is due to the fact that most deli sandwiches are made from meat that has been sliced early in the day and kept in cases that aren't necessarily at an ideal temp. Since I constantly crave lunch meat she said, "Instead of ordering a hoagie, get the lunch meat freshly sliced, buy the rolls and ingredients and make it yourself. If you are eating it soon after it has been sliced, your risk for problems is pretty low." Since I make a pretty bitchin hoagie, this was good news for me. Mmmmmm hoagies.
  • Options
    As a former Panera employee it's honestly no different from the lunch meat you buy at the grocery store. It comes in plastic pouches and everything. The other meats such as steak, shredded type chicken, and chicken slices are all frozen, thawed out and weighed and put into portion bags. Pretty much everything there is frozen honestly from soup to pastries, as a place that boasts as being fresh they definitely have a lot of frozen products going on lol. I was a baker there. Don't get me wrong, I like Panera and crave it sometimes now as well but it is still deli meat. You can ask for any sandwich to be heated on the panini press so that's your best bet if you don't mind a hot sandwich!
  • Options
    My SIL threw a fit when she saw me eating a sub from Jimmy Johns. I thought she was going to call CPS or something, but you're just as likely to get listeria from raw veggies or ice cream, even more so lately as those have been the most recent cases, and no one tells a pregnant women to stop eating those. The nitrates in the meat are a whole different issue and those are fine in moderation.

My midwife and I laughed about this for a good while because she said she takes more calls about women freaking out about eating things they shouldn't have than women with actual medical problems lately, and it's all blown out of proportion.

That being said if you're worried about it, don't eat it, but if you're just worried about being judged and you know the restaurants follow proper standards or you're making the food yourself go ahead and eat it!
  • Options
    Mmmm... do you guys have crazy bowls & wraps? craving alert! Love my some CBW!

SaveSave