December 2014 Moms
Options

Bottle Fed Babies ?

Bottle feeding mommy here. Just curious how many ounces everyone is feeding and how often? My LO is 22 weeks and drinking 4 oz every 3 hours during the day. He also eats a fruit between 9-10 am and a veggie between 7-8 pm. He still isn't sleeping through the night but does sleep from 9 pm-2:30 am and up for the day between 6-7 am.

Just curious if I should up his ounces to 5 or wait. He doesn't seem hungry after every bottle but I am noticing he can be fussy/wants a little more, I think, after his morning and bedtime bottle. So might try 5 oz tonight at bedtime.

Re: Bottle Fed Babies ?

• Options
    teaismCAgalteaismCAgal member
    edited June 2015
    Our LO has steadily gone up in the last month or so. He now can take up to 8 oz in a single feeding, with each feeding about every 3.5 hrs (sometimes it's 3 hrs, sometimes it's 4 hrs). Typically, he eats between 6 oz to 8 oz per feeding — although it's not uncommon for him to have one 4 oz feed during the day. We just introduced solids, but it's really just for taste and not calories at this point. He does about 5 feeds per day and sleeps through the night. 

Our doc recommends we offer 8 oz every feed and whatever he doesn't drink, we put into the fridge for the next round. She says just don't pour *more* milk into the previous bottle. 
  • Options
    How many weeks is your LO? I can't get baby to drink more than 5 oz in a feeding. Def gonna start offering him 5 every feeding now, and saving what he doesn't drink for next time. Thanks for the input!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is 24 weeks and has been drinking 6-7 oz every 3-4 hours for the last 4 weeks. Wakes up 2:30 am and 6 am for a bottle.
  • Options
    My LO is 26 weeks and drinks 4 bottles of 6-8 oz per feeding, plus eats two tbsp of solids twice a day. She sleeps from 730pm-730am and doesn't wake anymore.
  • Options
    Our LO is also 26 wks. 
  • Options
    Could it be you are giving too many solids? Are you giving water? I think my LO was drinking 6oz every 3-4 hours at 22 weeks. My pediatrician told me there should be a bit of formula left in the bottle when baby is done drinking otherwise you should put more in the bottle. They shouldn't be finishing the whole bottle
  • Options
    Nope no water. I've been trying to do 5 oz at every feeding. Sometimes he finishes, sometimes not. I don't think I'm giving to many solids. Just giving what my pedi recommended. Plus he really looks forward to his solids. He's gaining weight as he should etc. I was just curious what other babies his age were drinking ounce wise. I'll keep offering the 5 oz every feeding. He's a creature of habit for sure, so he may just need to get used to the change.

His sleep pattern did change last night. From 9-11:30 then 12-5 and back to sleep until 9! Whoop whoop.
  • Options
    I've lost track of weeks. He's almost 6 mos. He sleeps 7pm to 6am and has a bottle at 6:30a, 10:30a, 2:30p, and 6:30p. He was taking 34oz a day (8oz bottles in the middle, bookended by 9oz bottles). As we have incorporated more solids, he is drinking less. He now has 1T oatmeal mixed with fruit purée when he wakes up, so he only takes about 5oz at his 6:30 feeding. He still does 8oz at each of the midday feelings & also gets about 1.5oz of veggie purée midday. Then at night he gets another 1.5oz of veggie purée, followed by his evening bottle when he takes between 6-8oz. I was concerned that he was suddenly taking less, but called his pedi who said its normal as they eat more solids and that growth slows around 6mos, so appetites will often diminish a bit. His pedi said he's still in the normal range so dehydration isn't an issue (plus the purées have significant water). So we haven't added water yet, but I think I am going to go get some supply cups this weekend.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    My LO eats 6-8 oz. about every 3-4 hours during the day along with a teaspoon of purée twice a day. He's 23 weeks and is sleeping through the night, from about 9pm to 6am. He's starting to get teeth this week though so who knows what he'll be like from here on out.
    William Ross 12/22/14 (32+5 HELLP) EDD 2/11/15
  • Options
    We feed our DD both nursing breast milk and formula supplement.  A lot of times in the evening we will give her 4 oz after she drains MW's breasts.  We are just starting to feed her solid food and we give her as much as she wants.  Our philosophy is that when our LO is hungry we will feed her until she is full.  She can hold her own bottle so a lot of times we just give her a bottle and if she drinks that's fine.  When she just needs it for teething, then we let her chew on it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    UPDATE

LO is drinking 6 oz a feeding now. Took him a few days to change his routine lol. He goes about 4 hours between feedings now. Still waking once during the night but I don't mind it as long as he falls back to sleep quickly.

Now I'm thinking of upping his nipple size. We use Dr B Bottles and he has level 2 nipples. He's been gulping and fussy when eating so thinking I need to go up to a Level 3. Same thing happened when he was around 3 months, so 90% sure that is the issue.
  • Options
    my girls are 26 weeks. They get 5oz bottles every 2.5 - 3 hours. We are just playing around with solids and are not consistent with them. They sleep from 9pm - 7am usually without waking. All in all they generally get 30oz of milk a day. I would love to up the amount they drink at a time, but Baby B spits up a lot as it is. She doesn't have reflux or anything, just an overactive release valve. Ha! The girls are on similac sensitive to help with the spitting up (regular similac is a total barf fest) but I am going to try them on HiPP soon to see if it helps.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My LO is 5 months, 3 weeks. He's had BM most of his life and always ate every 2.5 hours. I've been weaning him onto formula and almost totally weaned. He still can only stomach 4 ounces, every 2.5 hours. He has about 8 bottles a day. Drinks on average 32 ounces. Once in a while he will down 5 ounces but he will also spit up during a burp when he does. Not a lot but a little which makes me think that's pushing his limits. Not sure he will ever be a four bottle baby.
    He wakes once a night to eat. He sleeps from 7:30 to usually 6-6:30
    Post-Natal Loss at 32 weeks, LTTC of 26th Months, 5 failed IUIs, Conception via 4th IVF Cycle in April 2014
    EDD: January 3rd, 2015!