July 2015 Moms
Options

Placenta encapsulation anyone

Ive been doing some research and have seriously considered having my placenta made into capsules. Has anyone had success with this before? Both mom and grandma had post-partum depression and trying to make sure I do whatever possible to not! Doc didn't have an opinion. Any thoughts?

Re: Placenta encapsulation anyone

• Options
    crf4crf4 member
    Nothing besides the actual science that says it does nothing for you. If you really want to eat a temporary organ though no one is going to stop you.
  • Options
    I kind of read up on it too and didn't really see a scientifically based value in it either. I was considering it. I do think out of all the ways to eat a placenta, encapsulation is the less gross way. Do what you feel is best for you and the baby though :) and if you try it, let me know how it goes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My midwife actually recommended it and said she's had nothing but positive results with her patients. She doesn't do the encapsulation herself, she recommended a company that does though. I was weary about doing it after reading about it and there not really being scientific proof, but I've spoken to other moms who didn't do it with their first, suffered post partum and did it with their others and now swear by it. I still have some time to decide, because it is a bit weird to me but after speaking to actual women who have done both and my doctor I may give it a shot.
  • Options
    There was actually a study done on this recently. NPR covered the story. The conclusion was that placenta encapsulation (consumption AFTER drying and sterilization) is "probably safe."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/06/04/411990944/placenta-pills-gain-fans-among-new-moms-but-benefits-are-elusive
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Options
    eclohoecloho member
    Yup...I recently read that it had not really been proven to make a significant difference... I would save your money. Seems to be a midwife doula thing...
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe it has the placebo effect for some women... Either way, if you think it'll help prevent post partum depression, why not?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Options
    I'm totally doing it! Bought the cooler and everything. My doula will prepare it, so I don't have to do anything but take the capsules. I thought it was gross when I heard about it years ago, but seeing my sister suffer from PPD motivated me to do it. I heard it's hard to do the research and study because of how it effects woman individually. However, there are so many testimonials of improved recovery, milk supply, and help with PPD. Even if it is a placebo effect, I'll take it anyway and take my chances.
  • Options
    I am also doing it my family has called one by one to tell me im crazy and it must be the pregnancy hormones...i am a STM did not do it with my first did not have post partum but im a full-time student and have to be back 100percent in 3 weeks and i was hoping they could give me that boost....i do not know if they will help but i am convinced they will not hurt so y not try.
  • Options
    That's a no for me.
    DS #1 Born 01/23/09
    Married 03/18/10
    DS #2 Born 05/19/11
    DS #3 Due 07/26/15

• Options
    STM here. I personally don't always believe all I read in regards to research and am therefore going to do encapsulation as I've heard wonderful personal accounts regarding hormonal regulation, ppd, vitamin/mineral replenishment, milk supply, etc. I have a feeling that time and research will eventually show strong support for pe but I think like most 'alternative' practices it just takes time to prove the benefits (and have people be accepting). Just my opinion.
  • Options
    There are studies that prove the benefits of placenta encapsulation. Increase in milk supply, decreases chances of postpartum depression, contains natural opiates to help aid in the healing process . There are many of benefits. Do your research and make an informed decision! You'll be happy you did! Good luck.

Also, if you feel like saving money, you can totally do this yourself! :) although, for the hassle I would opt to have someone else just do it.
  • Options
    kmg42012kmg42012 member
    edited June 2015
    Might want to check with the laws in your state if you're not having a home birth. Some hospitals are absolutely not allowed to release a placenta to anyone since it's considered biohazard material. I overheard a very unhappy mom at the hospital when I gave birth to my first. As for me, no thanks.
  • Options
    I will be doing this as well. I don't care if it turns out just being a placebo effect, the point is if YOU feel you should do it, then do it - there isn't any harm whatsoever in taking the capsules and if you don't do it, you could be missing out on something great. I'm right there with you and I am 100% confident in my decision. I wouldn't even consider myself holistic or natural or anything like that, I just want to make sure I stay as balanced as possible after delivery. Best of luck to you!