August 2015 Moms
Options

BIG BABY...

FTM, 32 years old...So I went to the doctors the other day because I was having a lot of pressure and pain on my right side, lower abdomen at 31 weeks... Everything is fine, but baby Braxton is putting a lot of pressure on my cervix and he is huge... Almost 5 lbs!!! RLP is also acting up really badly. So I am now on bed rest and though he is due August 11th, we will be induced July 29th because he is so big...No gestational diabetes either... He is measuring 34 weeks and my dates are 100% right... I was trying for him so I knew when I was ovulating and the date of my last period... Anyone else having a naturally big baby???

Re: BIG BABY...

• Options
    By the way... I have only put on 15 lbs the whole pregnancy... Lol so it's all baby...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was coming back to talk about the need to be favorable for induction, but @wering covered it beautifully.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My baby is measuring slightly bigger too but my hospital told me they aren't inducing more than 1 week early because size doesn't mean everything else is ready.
  • Options
    OP - I'm also a FTM and I recommend doing a search on this topic. I've learned a lot from the STM's on this board and this topic is one that I'm glad to have read about. I trust my doctor but didn't know how inaccurate measurement scans can be. I'm currently measuring 8 days ahead by u/s and I'm not putting any stock in it. Inductions have some distinct cons that I'd like to avoid, especially if the only indication to do it is estimated size. I'd have a real serious talk with my OB about this.
  • Options
    I was in the same boat the first time around. My son was measuring 10 pounds. We ended up waiting until 2 days before my due date to induce to make sure his lungs and everything were good to go. Even then, my body was not ready. After 13 hours of pitocin I still wasn't progressing. I ended up having a c-section and my boy weighed in at 9 lbs 14 oz. It was not an ideal birth but he came out healthy and that's all that matters. I would not let someone tell you to induce that early because the baby is measuring big. Those ultrasounds can be off a pound or two. Let that little one stay in as long as you can. A lot takes place in those last weeks.
  • Options
    With DS2 I started measuring ahead starting at 32 weeks. By the time I was 38 weeks, I was measuring 5 weeks ahead. My dr set an induction at 40 weeks (but told me he was fine if I didn't want it). He said baby could be long, in a funny position, etc. He said measuring ahead doesn't always equal huge baby. My boy came on his own at 39.1 and weighed 9lb8oz. No GD, just big. I birthed him no problem. I would never induce early because of estimated size. Their little lungs need all the time they can in the womb. A friend just had her 4th c-section at 39 weeks and he's in the NICU for lung underdevelopment.
  • Options
    Yeah a nurse at the hospital told us at our last ultrasound that my little man was going to be huge! He is measuring 2 weeks ahead but I am measuring right on track.
    I asked my doctor about it at my next appointment because the nurse had me thinking I was going to have a huge baby. My doctor said the same thing these ladies on here are saying. It really doesn't mean much at this point. On average he is in the 79th percentile for his size, so he is a little big but nothing to worry about. She said she only worries when babies are measuring 95th percentile and up. Which is rare and usually you see in woman who have gd. Then they just watch them closely until the end. I agree with PP always be asking questions! Good luck ☺
  • Options
    My daughter was supposedly huge also. She was 7 lb 5.6 oz born on her due date (and I'm 100% sure of when I ovulated also as we were trying, using OPKs, AND temping with a different temp spike after O). I wouldn't even consider 2 weeks early just for a "big baby." If there were other medical concerns (GD, pre-E, etc...) then by all means that changes things, but the risk of LO not being ready a full 2 weeks early and ending up in the NICU because he/she was supposed to be "big" is just not worth it to me.
  • Options
    Okay, so not all induction stories are horrific, but I will say that big baby is good reason to induce around the due date. IMHO I think induction is all right if you are already dilated, however if you're not dilated around that time you may want to consider putting off the induction.

I had a big baby too, and was induced at 40 wks. 1 day due to big baby (our measurements were actually accurate) AND a heart murmur they were concerned about treating. The heart murmur turned out to be a loud valve (thank goodness!) but I could tell you that my body was ready just needed the push. However, I also know my story is rare, and that for every decent induction story there are 12 horror stories out there so proceed with some caution.

Keep in mind also that LO is currently gaining approximately 1 lb./week but they SLOW DOWN. Around 35 weeks they aren't gaining that aggressively (usually only 1/3-1/2 lb. per week at that point). 

To Amylianne's point, they are much better at sucking and latching if they bake longer, breathing is also a lot easier to do then as well.
  • Options
    Okay, so not all induction stories are horrific, but I will say that big baby is good reason to induce around the due date. IMHO I think induction is all right if you are already dilated, however if you're not dilated around that time you may want to consider putting off the induction.

I had a big baby too, and was induced at 40 wks. 1 day due to big baby (our measurements were actually accurate) AND a heart murmur they were concerned about treating. The heart murmur turned out to be a loud valve (thank goodness!) but I could tell you that my body was ready just needed the push. However, I also know my story is rare, and that for every decent induction story there are 12 horror stories out there so proceed with some caution.

Keep in mind also that LO is currently gaining approximately 1 lb./week but they SLOW DOWN. Around 35 weeks they aren't gaining that aggressively (usually only 1/3-1/2 lb. per week at that point). 

To Amylianne's point, they are much better at sucking and latching if they bake longer, breathing is also a lot easier to do then as well.

I'm glad you had a good induction outcome (truly!), but a big baby is NOT a reason to induce.  It's just not supported in medical literature.

imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • Options

By the way... I have only put on 15 lbs the whole pregnancy... Lol so it's all baby...

This is me. I am 32, FTM and last week I went for a 30 week ultrasound. She was weighing 4lbs already. I've only gained 12 so she's a chunk. I know that ultrasounds are always accurate but I'm glad she's healthy. I'm measuring exactly one week ahead but have been since 20 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have big babies in our family. 9-10lb babies are average, no GD. Fact.
    I measured big with my first son & my doctor was smart enough to ask about our family baby history. My husband was 9,10 24in. Big & long.
    Never once did my doctor suggest induction because of a 'big baby'. He was awesome.
    I'm already "measuring big" with our second & haven't put on much weight at all either. My midwife is not concerned. Trust your body. Trust your baby mama. You can do it.
    Mom of one toddler boy, with another BOY on the way. Life is exciting traveling being active duty & a wife. 

Sometimes I vlog on
    YouTube. Check out my channel here! 
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else, a "predicted" big baby is no reason to induce that early. Their lungs may not even be ready yet (a risk I was told about when my boy can 10 days early on his own). Let the baby stay in as long as possible for his own health. And I would really think about trusting your doctor who is wanting to induce weeks early for no medical reason. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Even an actual big baby is no reason for an induction. Your baby is growing a baby it can birth, I'm not sure why Drs these days think women can't birth 9 or 10 lb babies, it shouldn't be a problem! Run away or have a talk with him, I would never induce for a big baby.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so no personal experience but I wouldn't induce 2 weeks early for a big baby. I hear way more stories where they thought the baby was huge and were wrong than right. I have a friend who went throught this and they were way off. My SIL had a baby a couple weeks ago and they told her they would probably need to induce by 38 weeks because the baby was too big. She declined the induction and delivered a 7 lb 8oz boy at 40 weeks exactly.