December 2015 Moms
Options

Getting tubes tied?

anyone else getting the tubal ligation after this baby? This will be our second... And last!

Re: Getting tubes tied?

• Options
    Yes I was considering it but my doctor extremely advised against it at birth just in case something were to happen to baby as he has seen that happen. I have the option but he did give us a lot to think about before we make our decision.
  • Options
    I'm actually going to ask on behalf of someone else. She's pregnant with her second, and is 27 and worried they won't do it as she is young, but she doesn't want any more.

Is there an age issue?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live in Alabama and as long as you're over the age of 19 it is cool. I'm 26. I will ask my dr more about how exactly he does it, like right after birth... Or wait til 6 week check up. What do you mean if something were to happen to baby? Like right after birth?
  • Options
    No age isn't an issue and yes if something happened after birth...I asked him to do it after rcs he just shared that experience for something to think about.
  • Options
    I plan on having it done. This is my third and final and Im having a c-sec, so I figured might as well do it all at once. I am pretty nervous about it though. Not sure why, it just sounds scary I guess.
  • Options
    CharmndmomCharmndmom member
    edited June 2015
    Just remember that it is difficult to have that reversed down the road if you were to ever change your mind, for any reason. Especially if you are young, you don't know how you will feel in ten years! I've also know many people that were very happy that they had a "surprise" baby, I know my husband wouldn't exist without a whoopsie, and I am thankful to God everyday that he exists. Also my best friend is ten years younger than her three siblings - you don't know what wonderful people God wants to bring into the world through you and your husband. :)
    Me: 33, DH: 32  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Have you considered a mirena? They last for 5 years before needing replaced and require no daily maintenance. I had one for 3.5 years and loved it! No daily pills and no periods.
  • Options

I'm actually going to ask on behalf of someone else. She's pregnant with her second, and is 27 and worried they won't do it as she is young, but she doesn't want any more.

Is there an age issue?

Where I live, you have to be at least 22 and have had 2 kids
  • Options
    I know many women who had tubals after delivery. Especially c sections. Most vaginal births, the women I've known waited a while before having it done. I also know a lot of women who have done the mirena iud and have been very happy with that. There are several options for you, it's just about finding the right one for you.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I didnt think i wanted any more kids, but just to be on the safe side i opted for an iud. It was in for five years (totally maintenance free and no periods!) and in that five years I unexpectedly got divorced and remarried. Now im happily expecting (planned) with my new husband and im so glad i didn't do anything permanent!
  • Options
    Caligurl858Caligurl858 member
    edited June 2015
    We decided to do a vasectomy , hubs agreed that it was much less invasive and more importantly reversible if we ever need to. Plus it's just a walk in walk out procedure , no biggy
  • Options
    I'm 35 and having a second c-section, so I'm planning on asking for a tubal ligation at the same time, and a tummy tuck as well if at all possible. Regardless of what happens in the future, my body isn't a fan of pregnancy and I'm not comfortable going through another one even older than I already am.
  • Options

We decided to do a vasectomy , hubs agreed that it was much less invasive and more importantly reversible if we ever need to. Plus it's just a walk in walk out procedure , no biggy

This. DH agrees that a vasectomy is less invasive and, in the event we ever change on minds and want a third child, reversible. I'm still planning on being on birth control to keep my periods under control.
  • Options
    moweltmowelt member
    amm0512 said:

This. DH agrees that a vasectomy is less invasive and, in the event we ever change on minds and want a third child, reversible. I'm still planning on being on birth control to keep my periods under control.
    Same here! Luckily his father did it so he volunteered!
  • Options
    I am having one after delivery. This is our third and last. I am 35 and have thought about it for a while. My husband is also getting a vasectomy. It is a decision we made together many years ago
  • Options
    I plan on having it done soon after i have the next baby.
    This is my fourth and last
    Emily & Alex imageimage
  • Options
    DH is getting a vasectomy, he volunteered after how rough my pregnancy has been. Love that man

Married 07/29/10 and blessed with our Baby Boy Bowen on 06/17/2013

• Options
    My husband is getting snipped ;-). At least that's the decision for now, but he's definitely being a wuss about it saying he'll be unable to work and move around for weeks. Lol
    After four wonderful kids and all the sickness I've been through, it's only fair he suffers a bit. He's too scared to have a fifth cutie, so he agreed on it.
  • Options
    My husband is not down for the snipping, unfortunately. But we do know 2 is all we want! I have had some pretty rough pregnancies as well. So glad to hear from all you ladies. It's nice hearing from both sides!
  • Options
    Caligurl858Caligurl858 member
    edited June 2015

My husband is getting snipped ;-). At least that's the decision for now, but he's definitely being a wuss about it saying he'll be unable to work and move around for weeks. Lol
    After four wonderful kids and all the sickness I've been through, it's only fair he suffers a bit. He's too scared to have a fifth cutie, so he agreed on it.

That's too funny!
  • Options
    My husband got a vasectomy when I was pregnant with our daughter... 6 years ago. Then much to our surprise my pregnancy test came back positive lol. So now we are expecting baby #6, we are absolutely thrilled & it makes for an awesome story, but it was definitely a huge shock!!
    Just wanted to give all those planning on taking the vasectomy route something to think about, it can definitely grow back together again & from what our urologist said it's actually quite common
  • Options
    This is something I have been considering. This will ours (husband and I) first, but my second. I never wanted to be out numbered by my kids and I always planned on living within our means. I know he is okay with two too. I hopefully won't have a C-Section so I have no idea when I will schedule the procedure, but I want it to be relatively soon after I am done breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    I plan on breastfeeding again as well. But I want the procedure done asap after baby, so I can recover all at once.
  • Options

I suggest not being quick to decide on something like this.  My ex-husband and I only wanted 1 and thought about doing this but something told me to wait.  But then the shock of my life happened and my husband (at the time) left me for another woman.  I am now remarried and happily expecting!  I thought I only wanted 1 child but here I am going to have another plus having 2 step sons as well.  :)  You just never know! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Me:34      DH:41      1 son: 6       2 step sons: 18, 12

BFP: 4/24/08 - Missed Miscarriage found 5/29/08

BFP: 11/21/08 - DS born 7/13/09

BFP:5/8/14  - Chemical pregnancy

BFP: 4/11/15....stick baby stick!!!

• Options
    kepoole said:
    I'm actually going to ask on behalf of someone else. She's pregnant with her second, and is 27 and worried they won't do it as she is young, but she doesn't want any more. Is there an age issue?
    Where I live, you have to be at least 22 and have had 2 kids

(vegdumpling:) wtf? where do you live? That is BS... b/c, feminism. I understand that it's not the right choice for some women to make, but you should have the choice, whether or not you've had children before! 

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm having it done in combo with the my c-section as well. Does anyone know if it makes healing rougher or longer?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CArden74CArden74 member
    edited June 2015
    Mirena is horrid. I know about 8 ppl, personally, including myself, who have had it, and only one had a positive experience. The rest of us range in level of horror stories. One developed such severe depression that she attempted suicide. Another had it travel so far up that she had to have it surgically removed causing excruciating pain and inability to conceive again. For me, it caused extreme rage and I bled about 3 weeks out of every month. Do lots of research before you consider that avenue.
  • Options
    We will see what happens.  I am at a high risk of possible hysterectomy with this baby so if that doesn't happen, I will be getting my tubes tied if I deliver out of town.  This is my fourth and final c-section and having any more would be very high risk and I am not willing to do this again :-)  If things change and I end up delivering at home, then it is possible my husband will have a vasectomy.  Our hospital is catholic and won't tie tubes, it will only happen if my high risk status stays the same.  
    Erin

Mom to 3 Boys (Ages 10, 8 & 3)

Mom to 3 Angels

BabyFruit Ticker