Trying to Get Pregnant

TTC with Endometriosis

kirstinleekirstinlee member
edited April 2021 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hey everyone!  \:D/

I'm Kirstin, and my husband and I are new to this TTC thing. I still can't quite figure out all of the acronyms... DD? Dungeons and Dragons?? LOL

Anyway, I'm 21 and my husband is 23, and we've been together since I was fifteen. We've always wanted to wait to TTC until we were at least in our late twenties, but life has a funny way of not caring about your plans.
I have severe Endometriosis that is progressively getting worse every month. I also have what my doctor is assuming is Pelvic Organ Prolapse, with tests to confirm scheduled in March. I've seen multiple GYNs, and they've all agreed that our best course of action would be to get the kids "out of the way" so that we could go ahead with a hysterectomy. 

We're not "set" by any means, but we both have full time jobs and are stable financially, and I'm half-way through college. My company (who is thankfully paying for my tuition) has me on a set plan to promote me to a GM at one of our locations after I finish school, and they are (luckily) very accommodating to mothers. So while we're not raking in the bacon right now, I'll be in a high-paying position within the next few years -- at which point we plan on my hubby being a stay-at-home dad. He's got a bad case of baby fever, and was dying to TTC while I was still on the fence, so needless to say he's 100% on-board. :) God-willing that the damage from the Endo isn't extensive enough to keep us from conceiving. We figure if it's between having kids early or waiting to be financially "set" and run the risk of never having them, we'll take young parenthood any day. 

I would love to meet some new friends around my age, or who share my struggles with chronic illness. I browsed the boards, but didn't find anything for young mothers (which I guess is understandable) or mothers with Autism/chronic illness (which kind of surprises me.) Are those things that I would find in groups instead of on the boards?

Thanks in advance, and hope to get to know a bunch of you guys soon. What an exciting adventure! <:-P

Re: TTC with Endometriosis

• Hi, so sorry to hear about the endometriosis. I had that and had to have surgery for it back in 2006. Mine was just a tiny bit on my right ovary though so nothing really bad. I am so sorry that you are struggling with this, I do know it is painful. I will keep you in my prayers! Sending lots of baby dust! Good luck.

Live, Laugh, and Cantor on

• I'm not as young as you, but we're in the same boat. My endo is stage 4 and wasn't diagnosed until after TTC for a year, one ectopic, and a whole slew of other tests, mostly because my abdominal pain was always mild. One of my tubes is completely blocked but I've got quite a bit of scarring that is making the possibility of conceiving through the other tube more of a prayer than a hope.

For me, our doctor is highly recommending IVF. I would recommend seeing a reproductive endocrinologist as soon as possible. It won't be cheap, but it sounds like you're on your way financially.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello! I have endo as well and it's moved up our plans to ttc. I just had a 10cm endometrioma removed from my left ovary. We were told that we have 6 months to get pregnant or we would be referred to the fertility clinic.

I'm not as young as you (both my DH and I are mid 30s) but it is nice to know there are others out there who are in a similar boat to us. I have been off work for nearly 3 months because of my endo- I want my life back and I want to just have babies when it suits us! Do you guys feel the same?
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• sknauffsknauff member
    edited July 2015
    I too have endometriosis. From what I've read, yes, it can make conception much harder, but having a baby doesn't always make it better, and having a hysterectomy doesn't necessarily cure it. That's never what anyone wants to hear, but it is the reality for some :/

I am 25, married for a year, and we aren't quite TTC yet, but I fear I will have difficulties as well. Best wishes and positive thoughts to you and your DH!
  • I have/had stage 4 endo diagnosed by lap at 26.  My doctor told me I would never conceive and I would have a total hysterectomy by the age of 30.  I just had my 34th birthday, no longer have any major symptoms and am 24 weeks pregnant with my first.  It took a lot of hard work and time but there are ways to help your body heal if you are willing to try.  Please don't let one doctor's opinion dictate what you do with your body, especially when it comes to permanent decisions like hysterectomy.  I was textbook infertile with massive scaring, cysts and excruciating pain & I am here with a baby boy on the way, living my life pain free. :)
    YCSWU 

• @kirstinlee - hi just lurking on this board. Doctors have suspected that I have had endo (I first heard this at 21, now 30). I don't know a whole lot about endo, but my understanding was it can't be confirmed unless you have a laparoscopy, and I thought that when they do that, while they are in there, they remove some of the scar tissue. Anyway I never had that done, but have suffered the most excruciating periods that have kept me out of school and work and had hemorrhaging ovarian cysts that have made me terribly nauseous. My gyno had recommended that I go on birth control when I was in my early 20s to help with the pain, in my late 20s the gyno I was seeing told me it could help prevent the build up of scar tissue to make it easier when I was trying to conceive later on. I don't know if either of these things are true, for many other reasons, I didn't want to go on birth control. Fast forward to April of this year, and my husband and I decided to stop natural planning and if I got pregnant and I got pregnant ... Well one week later, I was pregnant DESPITE what doctors had told me would be a difficult road trying. Additionally, I have been blessed so far at 23 weeks in to have an easy pregnancy with no morning sickness (the exact opposite of every period) SO don't give up hope. People with endo are able to conceive and you are young which I would think would make it even more favorable. I do think you should get a second opinion. Some doctors have more expertise with endo than others. Best of luck!!!!