Baby Showers

Sister-in-Laws to your side of the family shower

Would you invite your sister-in-law (husbands side) to your side of the family baby shower? My sister was making the invites and sent out an invite to my husbands sister, mom, and hub's grandmas...but do you invite my husbands brothers wife?

Re: Sister-in-Laws to your side of the family shower

• I would, she may wonder why the other woman on your husband`s side were invited but not her. If that side is having a shower then no I would not.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• VORVOR member
    I could go both ways on this.  if his immediate family is small (as it seems to be) and relatively close, then yes, I would invite her.  It's only one more person.  Especially if there won't be a shower for his side. 

If inviting her opens the door to "Well, then we need to invite ___", then no, don't invite her.  or if you all aren't close to his brother AND there will be a shower for that side of the family, I don't feel that you need to invite her. (But if there won't be a shower for that side, even if you aren't close, I do feel you should still invite her).
  • Loading the player...
  • VOR said:
    I could go both ways on this.  if his immediate family is small (as it seems to be) and relatively close, then yes, I would invite her.  It's only one more person.  Especially if there won't be a shower for his side. 

If inviting her opens the door to "Well, then we need to invite ___", then no, don't invite her.  or if you all aren't close to his brother AND there will be a shower for that side of the family, I don't feel that you need to invite her. (But if there won't be a shower for that side, even if you aren't close, I do feel you should still invite her).
    This.

If there is a shower for his side, I wouldn't. If there is not and it's just her, then I would. If it is going to mean inviting 10 other people, unless your host is okay with it, don't.
  • If you're inviting H's sister, I would also invite his SIL. However, if you're having a separate shower for his side of the family, I would not invite anyone other than his mom.
  • I think you've gotten great advice.  I would just add that a key factor in the decision should be how close you are to the various in-laws. 

Example: when I had my baby shower, I did invite my H's sisters.  Even though we had only known each other for a few years, I considered them family. We are together a lot for family functions, and it would have been weird not to invite them to my baby shower.  My H's brother's wife did not get along well with my ILs, and they only really came around at Christmas.  I didn't even consider inviting her, as I felt like I barely knew her.  Along the same lines, my H has a lot of cousins, but one with whom we're particularly close.  She invited me to her baby shower along with my SILs, who are her first cousins. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thank you everyone!! What great advice. We invited her =)....However my husbands sister is hosting a shower for me but we are are relatively close so it works! =) Thanks again.