2nd Trimester

I'm 13 weeks and so sick that I can't keep food down.

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and I've had severe nausea and vomiting for about the last 6 weeks now. I was hoping it would go away once I got to the second trimester but sadly it seems to have gotten worse if anything. I can't keep any food down. Every time I try to eat something I just end up throwing it up a couple hours later, and It's to the point now where I've actually lost about 6 pounds. Pretty much the only thing that stays down are milkshakes. I'm getting very scared and anxious because I'm concerned about my baby and my anxiety has been through the roof lately due to it. Can anyone help me? My nausea medicine has not helped at all. I'm literally terrified if it doesn't go away soon.

Re: I'm 13 weeks and so sick that I can't keep food down.

• nofrogsnofrogs member
    With my first, I could not even keep water down until about 14ish weeks, and lost almost 20 pounds. After 15 weeks, I felt totally normal. It should improve for  you soon, even through it hasn't happened right at the 12 week mark. So sorry that I don't have more advice, other than it will most likely get better within a week or two. 
    Anniversary
  • What are you using for nausea medicine? Have you discussed this with your doctor? 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was like this with my first by 20 weeks I just had enough & went to a hospital in Boston they said I was very dehydrated I lost almost 30 pounds. they gave me a couple bags of ivs & I felt great it was all over with after that then with my second I was not as sick but I went at 12 weeks to Boston & got a couple bags of ivs & was feeling great. what they said to me is that dehydration is very common in pregnant woman sometimes that is the cause of the throwing up & nausea.
  • fitmama89fitmama89 member
    edited May 2015

What are you using for nausea medicine? Have you discussed this with your doctor? 

This.
    If the medicine you have been given is not helping I would call your doctors office ... Like yesterday :) Goodluck! Hope you feel better soon.
  • I would call ur doc and if its thay bad to where nothing is staying down I would go to the hospital cause of severe ddehydration
  • rue:Drue:D member
    My doctor said to call if you aren't able to keep fluids down for more than 24 hours. Definitely call since the meds aren't helping - they might be able to give you something else that will.
  • If you cant keep water down, see your doctor. Dehydration is dangerous not only for yourself, but the amniotic fluid is... Water. You dont want that getting low.

If you CAN keep water/fluids down... Then do your best and dont worry.. A lot of us have been there as well. I was sick as a dog til I was 20 weeks, still on my anti nauseant twice/day.

Try to eat every 2 hours or so.. Small snacks, saltine crackers, bit of oatmeal, toast, tea biscuit, something absorbant. The longer you go without eating, the more acid builds up and the sicker you will be. Also, avoid anything and EVERYTHING acidic. Most fruits, tomato, vinegars, all of it. Try an antacid in combination with your prescribed med. Ginger lozenges.. So many things to try. What worked for me was never letting my stomach get empty.. Snack constantly on healthy things.. Or even just crackers. Provided you are a healthy (not underweight) weight.. Then your baby is NOT starving. They dont actually get fed from what you eat as you eat it, right.. They feed off your stored energy in the form of fat.. Hence, a bit of weight loss may be normal for your situation.

Stay hydrated, stay snacking, see your doc if it is intolerable/if you are dehydrated. You may have HG.

I wish you well hun. There IS light at the end of the "all day" morning sickness tunnel.
  • mar3rsmar3rs member
    Must be having a girl ;)