November 2015 Moms

Percentiles at 20 week scan

Hi all, sorry if this is a tad self involved, but I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this experience (did a search on Nov15 and didn't see anything, but apologize if this is a repeat!).  I had my 20 weeks scan and everything looked good (huzzah!) except for the babies weight: 10 oz. (20th percentile)  My doctor thinks this is small for 20 weeks and wants me back for a growth check US at 24. From what I've read around 10 oz. is pretty normal, but am happy to go back.  It's just eating at me a little, of course you don't want to hear anything other than everything is fine.  Itching to google, but won't go down that road.

Re: Percentiles at 20 week scan

• I never had them say percentiles last time.

The thing is babies grow at different rates. Yours could have a growth spurt in the next week. I wouldn't worry to much.
  • Hi there-my baby was the same weigh at the anatomy scan, and no one seemed concerned, for whatever it's worth! Try not to worry!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had growth scans due to a large baby. I wouldn't freak out about being in the 20th unless the percentile goes down at the next visit which may indicate IUGR. At this point you don't have enough information to know if baby is just petite or growth restricted. Most likely your baby is just petite (right now) things can change within a matter of days in utero. Please keep us posted after your follow up.
  • tinaaytinaay member
    I had monthly growth scans with my second because they thought she was measuring small. She was 6 lbs 10 oz when she was born 1 oz smaller than my first. She is a very healthy but very petite almost 5 yr old. Weighing in at 30 lbs soaking wet but perfectly healthy!
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited June 2015
    At 19w 2d mine was 11oz which is average for 20w (and above the 90th percentile for 19w). The tech said the baby was measuring right on target. I think since these are just estimates there is a little bit of flexibility. Your doc is doing the right thing by having you back for a follow up. Remember, they are usually overly cautious. Try not to worry!
  • Lsager424 said:
    Hi there-my baby was the same weigh at the anatomy scan, and no one seemed concerned, for whatever it's worth! Try not to worry!!
    It's worth a ton when you're feeling vunerable and worried.  Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.
  • I haven't had my anatomy scan this go round, but DS2 was always lower percentile (can't remember exact number) but he was totally fine. He was just a little guy (still is!) weighing 6 pounds when he was born, but completely healthy. They also had me go back for several additional scans to make sure he didn't have IUGR, but like I said, all was well. The problem with percentiles is they're just averages. Some babies are just bigger and some babies are just smaller. Try not to worry, mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The weight is an educated guess at best. They can't really determine the exact weight of baby so I wouldn't worry too much. I am 19w 5d and baby was approx 10 oz so yours is not far off! When I was pregnant with my second they said she weighed around 8 lbs right before she was born. She actually weighed 10.5 lbs. try not to stress too much and hope all goes well at your next US.
  • Thanks for asking this question! I have my anatomy scan in 2 weeks and this is good info to know. I hope everything is fine in your case- sounds like these ladies have had similar experiences and it worked out fine. Please keep us updated!
  • Just a random thought/observation... 

I know it is very difficult to not worry about all things regarding out precious babies and percentiles is just another thing on that long list.  After all, it is thrown in our faces at every visit once the baby gets here too.  Growth charts... questions on percentile from other parents.. comments from any and every with an opinion on child's size, etc.  At the end of the day, anything within the range is truly within the range and considered healthy.  I think your LO coming in at the 20th percentile is just as healthy as a LO coming in at the 80th percentile.  Try not to let it get to you although I know that is much easier said than done.  I hope your LO keeps thriving in there.  All the best!
  • Growth, even at a slow rate means you're still good.  I'm in a situation with my 9yr old where she has not gained weight in 3yrs and she has now slipped below the 1% mark in weight for her height (which is around the 40% mark for her age.)  As long as your little one is still growing, the 20% mark isn't anything to worry about.

June Siggy Challenge image
  • I think baby is right on track. I had my anatomy scan a week early because of future travels, but yesterday I was 19 weeks and the baby weighed 9 oz.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As everyone else said, try not to worry too much yet. 10oz is about right for 20 weeks, from my very small FTM knowledge. But since you asked, our baby measured 13oz yesterday at 20w1d. The tech mentioned he was measuring a bit ahead and was more than the average 20 week baby. But she never indicated it was bad or anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you again for all the great responses, it really does help.  I think I go a tad overboard with the worrying when I hear that word percentile.  As others have mentioned, I too have a very small (but healthy and so very active) three year old.  I get to hear every doc visit about how small he is.  It's a sore spot for me I guess.  Taking a deep breath and listening to others experience is great, thank you.
  • My baby was a pound. Which is OMG 2 oz bigger and she said we were a little ahead. So I think your jusssstttty fine! :)
  • I just had my ultrasound done at 19w 4d and my baby girl is 13oz! 
  • Never experienced this but when my son was born he was in the 5th percentile for a while. At 18 mo we just got to around 25th percentile.. He's just on the smaller side :)
  • I just searched for threads on percentiles. I am freaking out a little. I am high risk, so I get an U/S every visit. This particular visit, I was told that baby is very healthy! Yay! Also, I found out that at 22wks 6 days, my baby boy is in the 97th percentile!
    I have 2 other kids. Girl 13yr old, boy 11yr old. With each of them, I only had 2 ultrasounds and was never told of percentiles.

I googled what this 97th percentile thing meant. Maybe I read it wrong.... Is my growing baby boy really bigger than 97% of other babies at this gestational age!?!

My husband was 10lbs and his family were all big babies! My daughter was 8.15 and my son was 7.2. I think I was around 8.

I've only gained 4 lbs, but am still freaking out that I am going to give birth to a toddler!!

Advice? Opinions?
  • urby87urby87 member
    DAnglen said:
    I just searched for threads on percentiles. I am freaking out a little. I am high risk, so I get an U/S every visit. This particular visit, I was told that baby is very healthy! Yay! Also, I found out that at 22wks 6 days, my baby boy is in the 97th percentile! I have 2 other kids. Girl 13yr old, boy 11yr old. With each of them, I only had 2 ultrasounds and was never told of percentiles. I googled what this 97th percentile thing meant. Maybe I read it wrong.... Is my growing baby boy really bigger than 97% of other babies at this gestational age!?! My husband was 10lbs and his family were all big babies! My daughter was 8.15 and my son was 7.2. I think I was around 8. I've only gained 4 lbs, but am still freaking out that I am going to give birth to a toddler!! Advice? Opinions?
    Your baby's size now is not necessarily representative of what their size will be at birth.  It's possible they just finished a growth spurt in there.  I wouldn't fret too much about it, since it's more of an educated guess at this point, anyway.
  • Thank you! I was/am a little panicked. I appreciate it. I never considered the growth spurt thing.
  • My baby measured 12 ounces and they said 82nd percentile, but that measurements at 20 weeks don't really tell you how big the baby will be by the end
  • My little one was estimated to be 10 oz yesterday at 19+4 and according to the midwife's chart, that was in the 42nd percentile. However, the baby was measuring 1 day ahead, so she said that 42nd actually seemed low. I think your babe is just fine! :)