May 2015 Moms
Options

4 week baby breastfeeding

Baby just turned 4 weeks today and I'm pretty much exclusively breastfeeding. So I have a question abut baby sleeping at night. Am I still supposed to wake baby up every 2-3 hours to eat or let them sleep and wake up on their own to eat?

Re: 4 week baby breastfeeding

• Options
    As soon as baby is back to birth weight. Let that baby sleep!
  • Options
    I'd talk to your pediatrician, but once everything was going well at my 2 week appt, mine said I could go every 4 hours overnight. I stopped setting an alarm, and unfortunately my LO still often gets up every 3, but every once in a while I get a 4-5 hour stretch!
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Depends on your supply and babies weight. I'd ask your ped

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I let baby tell me when she is hungry she was 4 weeks yesterday and she goes to bed around 7pm wakes for a feed around 4am and then sleeps till around 9am if I wake her she's grumpy and it's hard to get her back to sleep
  • Options
    Let baby sleep! As long as LO is back to birth weight and is continuing to gain weight. My DS is 4 weeks today and I definitely let him sleep at night. I do still wake him during the day if he isn't up but usually he will wake on his own around the 2.5-3 hour mark. I like to think that waking him through the day will give us a longer stretch at night but maybe that's just me being naive.
  • Options
    Ditto to what everyone said. My baby boy is 4 weeks tomorrow and last night slept 6 hours. My doctor told me at his last check up to let him lead the feeding instead of doing it every 2-3 hours. I even snuck in a quick pumping session before he woke up!
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. Unfortunately, we don't see the ped until another month. I wonder if I could call them, but I would hate for them to make me come in for a visit. The last time I called about an issue, they wanted me to come in. Baby was back up to his birth weight at his first dr appointment. I know they said he need 8 -12 feeds a day, so I'm confused.
  • Options
    Where I live they now recommend feeding on demand. As long as baby is back to birth weight and gaining, don't wake them! It's more about how much they're getting all together in a 24 hour period.
  • Options
    Ask your ped, but I was told at 4 days to let her sleep since she was back at birth weight!
  • Options
    Around 4 weeks is when I stopped setting my alarm, she is now 6 weeks old. She wakes when she is hungry on her own. At our wic appointment she was 8 lbs and 15 oz which is 2 lbs more than her birth weight so we are on a good track! Breast babies also gain at their own pace, so as long as she is making 5/8 wet diapers and at least 1 poop, LO is most likely getting what they need! :) 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker