May 2015 Moms

Movement monitors

I've been considering getting a movement monitor for a bit of peace of mind at night. I've read that they can often give false alarms, especially if used in a crib as opposed to bassinet, etc.

Those of you that have one... ever had any false alarms? What brand do you have? Where do you use it?

Thanks!

Re: Movement monitors

• We use a snuza, it clips onto her diaper. I love it. We have had one false alarm where it worked it's way off her diaper since she was kicking her legs around a bunch and kept knocking it. I would rather have a false alarm, than no alarm when it could have helped.
    I also love that it is tiny and easy to travel with for overnight visits or naps in places outside our home.
  • I also use a snuza, and love it. It gives me peace of mind and allows me to sleep more soundly, since I'm completely terrified of sids. It has given false alarms, but it was because his diaper wasn't tight enough so it was lifting off of his tummy. Although the beeping is pretty loud (I can hear it from the next room) it has yet to wake him up out of a deep sleep. Just wakes me up and scares me to death lol
    Definitely worth it though, I'd rather have false alarms and know the thing works anyway than have nothing at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the Snuza and still maintain that it was the best purchase ever. We had one false alarm the first night home from the hospital - like all the PPs mentioned, make sure it's secured on the diaper. Didn't make that mistake twice and haven't had a false alarm since. We use it in the bassinet, crib, swing...everywhere baby goes. It gives incredible peace of mind.
  • We have a snuza as well! I love it, especially since my LO is a tummy sleeper! She literally wakes up the very second she is laid on her back, so we tried her tummy, and she will sleep! I know you are supposed to, but not every baby falls into the supposed to category and we had to find SOMETHING that worked for us! With the snuza, I have peace of mind with her sleeping on her tummy! As mentioned by PP, I have only had 1 false alarm and it was because it wasnt placed properly! other than that it was THE best gift we could have gotten, and if we had bought it, it would be well worth the price! 

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• mars8kmars8k member
    I'll probably sound stupid but what's a movement moniter?
  • I have an angel care and it has been great when we switched from the rock n play next to the bed to the crib, especially since DD sleeps through the night it helps me sleep easy. Only times it has gone off is if I forget to turn it off when I take her out of crib. And the parent unit battery doesn't last very long and the low battery noise is the same as the alarm. Needless to say I just keep it plugged in next to the bed.
  • mars8k said:

I'll probably sound stupid but what's a movement moniter?

Baby monitors that detect their movement rather than sound. Supposed to be great on helping to prevent SIDS. An alarm will sound if the monitor doesn't detect movement from baby after a certain amount of seconds.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to look into the snuza!
  • We have an angel care we used for DS (it's actually still set up in his room as the girls are in our room still). It's great. We have had false alarms once he started rolling and he was literally at the foot of his crib vertically. We adjusted the sensitivity and it was better. It's a terrible moment whine you wake up to that sound but also reassuring that it works like it should.
    Now I need to find a certain model of the angelcare monitor for the second crib for the twins so there isn't feedback.
  • Our angel care went off at 4:30 in the am today and scared the crap out of me. She was still in the same position I had put her in at 11 when normally she scoots down to the end of her crib throughout the night so it's entirely possible she was in such a deep sleep that she stopped breathing. I thank God I had this even if it was a false alarm.