May 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Advice

My problem is that my breasts are so full in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning that my LO can't latch on... This usually resorts to me pumping and bottle feeding in the middle of the night which is exhausting:( any advice for this problem? Anyone else experiencing this? My LO is 6 weeks old!

Re: Breastfeeding Advice

• Options
    I've had this. Usually if I pump for 5-10 minutes it'll take the edge off and then LO can latch. But this means pump has to be ready to go and you may have to listen to LO cry while you get ready to feed.
  • Options
    I know it's another contraption, but could you get a manual pump maybe so it's "handy" for those late (and dark) moments? I'm just thinking I have my little pumping station set up in our living room and wouldn't want to be out there pumping, while DS2 cries in our bedroom or pack him out there with even more delayed satisfaction.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A few manual compressions to take just a little off so they can latch will help.
  • Options
    rae430rae430 member
    Hawk&Eye said:

I know it's another contraption, but could you get a manual pump maybe so it's "handy" for those late (and dark) moments? I'm just thinking I have my little pumping station set up in our living room and wouldn't want to be out there pumping, while DS2 cries in our bedroom or pack him out there with even more delayed satisfaction.

This is what I do as well. Makes a huge difference, and I usually only use the pump for a minute or two.
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. Even after w get past my let down, the milk is coming out too fast or I'm too full. And then I'm just covered in milk or my burp cloth is soaked. It's only on DD2's non-preferred side. I may try that manual pump idea... I would just hate having to get outta bed to pump.
  • Options
    I will have a bottle of breast milk ready to go so when she wakes up in the middle of the night my husband will bottle feed her while I pump that way I don't have to do both... I also do this cause I find when I was breastfeeding in the middle of the night she would nurse for like an hour and then we would both end up falling asleep before I can get her back in her bassinet
  • Options
    To avoid a pump let baby suck for just a minute until let down catch excess in a spare towel or get a milk saver and hand express to help soften breast without the need to pump.