May 2015 Moms

Bath question (for us not baby)

I am desperate for a nice relaxing bath I have always been addicted to boiling hot baths but my midwife keeps telling me not to have one yet and it's killing me!! I've heard many people bathe straight away and have never heard that before so I was wondering what everyone else has done? Baby will be 5 weeks Wednesday and I have 2 very small stitches. She doesn't really have a reason why just says just to be safe. boooooooooo!!

Re: Bath question (for us not baby)

• I took a bath the day after I can home from the hospital. I put some Epsom salt in the water & it was amazing.
  • I've been taking baths since DS was born, but I didn't have any tearing or stitches. With DD I did the same and I had tearing & stitches. Not sure why you cant. I'd die without my evening bath- its the one time of day I have to myself to relax.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1: 5/24/11, DD#1 Born 1/16/12
    BFP #2: 7/24/13, MC: 8/28/13 @8weeks, 3days

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • My doula told me to have a bath with Epsom salts right away...I haven't because I'm not a bath person, but I wonder why you couldn't?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I bathed in the sweet birthing tubs both nights I was in the hospital after having DS2. The midwife and nurses all encouraged me to do so! I had two stitches.
  • I had stitches and my dr told me to take baths
  • Had stitches as well and was told by the doc and nurses to have at least 2 10 minutes baths a day to help keep things clean. I am 2 weeks postpartum and had a piece of the stitches come out last night so I figure things are healing up good. I'm not a bath person so was hard to do it. Lol I did bath twice a day up until the last 3 days.
  • I had a 3rd degree tear and have been taking baths since day one. No problems here!
  • She said something about it could cause an infection? Baby it's just my midwife I haven't had much time to get out and get other opinions so dare I take one tonight? \:D/
  • I had a second degree tear and I took a bath the morning after LO was born in the hospital. My doctor encouraged it and said it would help with the healing
  • My doctor also said no baths, I have a 3rd degree tear with stitches. I think that it's due to risk of infection. I was told to take sitz baths often throughout the day to help with healing, but for a regular bath I would think it would be fine if maybe you rinsed off in the shower beforehand... Not really sure though...
  • I had a 3rd degree tear and have been taking baths since day one. No problems here!
  • Clean the bathtub really well to reduce risk of infection. I had an episiotomy and natural tearing as well. The hospital encouraged a sitz bath which I found extremely painful. I did a regular bath and it was amazing! I just got my DH to clean the tub for me after.

If your midwife hasn't given you a reason not to then I'm really surprised they would say not to have one. Especially at 5 weeks pp. I was having baths probably 2 weeks pp.
  • It's not so much the stitches they are concerned with... It's the healing from the birth of the placenta- until your bleeding has completly stopped, they assume you have a 'wound' inside of your uterus. If you take a full submerged bath (rather than just a sitz bath) there is a minute possibility bacteria could travel up and cause a uterine infection called endometritis.
  • It's not so much the stitches they are concerned with... It's the healing from the birth of the placenta- until your bleeding has completly stopped, they assume you have a 'wound' inside of your uterus. If you take a full submerged bath (rather than just a sitz bath) there is a minute possibility bacteria could travel up and cause a uterine infection called endometritis.

Ohhh I see sounds like what my midwife was on about