May 2015 Moms
Options

Cutting Baby's Nails

Hi all! Just wondering when everyone cut baby's nails for the first time? My twins are almost 9 weeks and I haven't done anything more than biting off the occasional hang nail. To be honest, I'm pretty terrified since their nails are so small. I'm afraid I might nick them. Any tips?

Re: Cutting Baby's Nails

• Options
    I did my sons at 3 weeks. He just kept scratching himself pretty bad. I just waited till after I'd fed him and he was really sleeping good. Then I just took my time. I didn't try cutting down to the skin. I just trimmed them the best I could.
  • Options
    My DD's were so sharp that I did them the day we got home from the hospital and have had to every week since. I would suggest doing it right after bath. I always run the nail clippers along where I'm gonna cut to get the nail a little separated from the skin before making any snips. It takes practice and you probably will nick them (I nicked DD1 when she was an infant) but they won't remember it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mars8kmars8k member
    DD's nails were kinda long since birth but nurses told me to wait until they're harder, i think she was 2 weeks when i first cut hers, i only cut the long edges and filed the rest, i still do that but there always seems to be a sharp edge that i miss no matter how hard i try! Not sharp enough to cut her but sharp enough to have her screaming
  • Options
    LO came out with really long nails and kept scratching herself but I was too nervous to do it myself so I got my SIL who is a NICU nurse to do it while we were still in the hospital.
  • Options
    sb184sb184 member
    Our doctor recommended filing DS nails. We've been doing that and it's working great. You don't have to worry about infection with biting them or the pain of cutting them too short.
  • Options
    DH did DS's at about a week old. I've done then a couple of times since then - he will be 4 weeks tomorrow.

Use baby nail clippers and wait until they are fast asleep so they don't fidget. I found it easier than I expected it to be actually. Just be extra cautious and only clip of you know it's only nail in there and no skin!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I either file baby's nails or tear them (per the hospital's recommendations). I have clippers, but I'm too scared to use them on baby. 
  • Options
    I clipped my LO's nails for the first time at 3 weeks and clip them every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.  I have my husband hold and feed him.  While he's feeding I clip his nails (otherwise he cries and squirms).  So far it's worked for us!
  • Options
    We trimmed my sons nails a day or two after coming home from the hospital.... My husband did the cutting and I held our sons hand still.... And once we trimmed, then filed them so the weren't so sharp.... That seemed to work well for us.
  • Options
    Wait until they are asleep on your lap - no wiggles.  I've had to do mine's talon's weekly since birth - or some of them, they don't always all need trimming.  I nicked her thumb the first time, after spasms of guilt, I realised she didn't notice.  But, I am more paranoid now.  She hates mitts though, so it's a trade off to not have her screaming.

There's something called a Buzz-B that files their nails too, that looks awesome, I just didn't have the funds to buy it.

Thank goodness the toenails seem to grow more slowly.