April 2015 Moms
Options

Postpartum joint pain

moms,
Has anyone had a problem with joint pain about 2 months postpartum? My hips, knees, ankles & wrists are killing me. I need to be on my feet for 12 hours for my job in 2 weeks. Any ideas to fix this problem? I have a dr appt next week but thought maybe I could get a head start.

Re: Postpartum joint pain

• Options
    I had severe pain in my hands & wrists after my first DD was born. There were times I literally thought I was going to drop her. I never went to the doctor and with time it went away. After the fact I stumbled across DeQuervain's tendinitis, and I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

I'm guessing your pain is from everything tightening back up due to the relaxin being gone. I'd probably try ibuprofen & ice along with resting as much as possible. Also try paying attention to your posture while holding baby. I know that I sometimes stand in strange positions & get aches.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    I'm glad you mentioned this... I had carpal tunnel during pregnancy but it went away almost immediately when baby was born. Now my knees are completely screwed. If I crouch down, I'm stuck. I need to be near something to pull myself up. Even getting off the couch is rough. I have no strength in them and they hurt!! I didn't ask doctor about it, but I'm assuming it will eventually go away? I'm 9 weeks pp.