Baby Showers

Birthday Party/Gender Reveal

provwifeprovwife member
edited June 2015 in Baby Showers
My daughter's second birthday is coming up and at that time I will be 22/23 weeks. At her party we wanted to do a gender reveal (we will not be including any thing gender reveal party related besides us opening the box with the colored balloons..it will be all birthday party decorations and about her turning two). Anyways, when do I send the invites out? Thanks :) Also, any creative suggestions besides the box of balloons are welcome :)

Re: Birthday Party/Gender Reveal

• provwifeprovwife member
    edited June 2015

Do not do that to your daughter. It's her special day. 

LOL!!!

One, this is special that she is having a brother or sister and, two, she is turning two years old and it is a giant party at a farm...it's going to be super special for her. It's going to be ok.

That's not what I asked.

• Loading the player...
  • And three, we aren't raising her to be selfish and/or greedy. So, that's not an issue to us at all.
  • Let your daughter open the balloon box or whatever.  I'm sure she's excited about the new baby and it makes you look less AW-ish. 
  • Surely people will ask you about your pregnancy while there, why not just answer when they ask?

You're daughter is young enough that she won't notice that you are upstaging her at her party, but certainly the other adults will. This doesn't come across as celebrating a growing family, it comes across as you bein so starved for attention your willing to use any venue to grab it.

Please reconsider. Birthday party invites should go out around 3 to 5 weeks in advance which was totally something I just Googled, and was readily available.

Upstaging?

I'm sorry. I can't even fathom this. It's laughable. It will not be reconsidered even for a second. Again..none of us are starved for attention nor will the family and friends we are inviting think that even for a second. Maybe we all have been raised differently and that's why we aren't seeing eye to eye but we truly feel it's something fun and special added to her birthday party. It doesn't have to do with me or my husband, it has to do with my daughter having the gift of a new sibling and us enjoying the blessings of our family and friends. Birthdays and holidays will never be self worshipping, greedy events in our family.

• provwife said:

Again..none of us are starved for attention

Yet you are choosing a total AW way to announce how your baby will pee.
    Your views on this are laughable. And based on your last reaponse shows we are truly, truly on opposite ends of thinking. It seems as if you want something to argue about....I have other things to do today.

Sorry I asked. ✌
  • provwifeprovwife member
    edited June 2015

Would you do this at another family members party? Would you do a reveal at a wedding? Then why is your daughters party so little in comparison that you would?

Also, I don't get your insistence that birthdays will not be greedy self worshipping events in your family, I mean, if that's the case, giant parties aren't really the way you want to start that, which again is feeding the idea that you are doing this for yourself.

Yes, ten minutes out of a three to four hour party to find out if my second child, my daughter's sibling, my parents' grand kid, my aunts and uncles' niece or nephew, our cousins' cousin, friends' little addition, second cousins' cousin, etc, etc is a boy or girl is clearly all about me....not because it is special and fun for all of us, but because *I* love attention. Makes sense
  • I would send out invites about 4 weeks out
    October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• A cousin did this at her niece's 7th birthday and the only reason I didn't side-eye it was because:
    1. The 7 year old had been begging for a cousin for a couple of years, and everyone knew it.
    2. She badly wanted to have a little girl cousin (it was a girl).
    3. The mother-to-be did not invite anyone to her nieces party to join in when it was revealed.
    4. Mother-to-be asked her sister-in-law if it was okay to surprise the 7 year old if it was a girl, she wouldn't have do it if it was a boy (and just told everyone later).

The 7 year old opened the present and a single "It's a girl!" balloon came out. She was over the top thrilled, and it was cool to be there to see her reaction.

I find that completely different than doing it at a 2 year olds party, where they have no idea what is even going on, and probably don't give two hoots about the sex of their sibling. If that happened at a party I was at, I would have given it a major side-eye, but smiled and said "congrats". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I agree, 2 year olds really don't know anything about the sex.  Even my five year old neice doesn't really.  At one point she told me she would love DS even more if he was a girl. Later that week, she asked my sister (not her mom) what the difference between a boy and a girl is. 
  • futonfuton member
    Super cute idea! Letting her open the box on her own would take forever lol. But just a suggestion if there are other kids at her party, blow up colored balloons that they can play with (easy entertainment).

Also, at least a month and a half out for invites so everyone can make time to come!
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    futon said:
    Super cute idea! Letting her open the box on her own would take forever lol. But just a suggestion if there are other kids at her party, blow up colored balloons that they can play with (easy entertainment). Also, at least a month and a half out for invites so everyone can make time to come!

@futon As a soon to be parent you should be aware that balloons are like number 1 on the choking hazard list for small children. 

And it's crazy to send birthday party invitations that far in advance.  It's a birthday party.  Not a wedding.  3-4 weeks in advance is plenty of time for a child's party.

• @CEB37 Pssh I won't come if I don't get a save the date 6 months in advance to a children's birthday party. 

And the child must be registered for parent approved gifts only right?
  • futonfuton member
    Lol parental supervision @CEB37 and hey, the lady asked for opinions/advice..thats just mine.
  • CEB37CEB37 member
    futon said:

Lol parental supervision @CEB37 and hey, the lady asked for opinions/advice..thats just mine.

I was just pointing out that balloons are very dangerous to toddlers. It only takes a few seconds for one to choke.
  • @CEB37 Pssh I won't come if I don't get a save the date 6 months in advance to a children's birthday party. 

But do you really need a save the date? Everyone knows (and of course remembers) what date your snowflake was born on, so they should automatically know when the party will be.

Example - everyone knows DS turns two In October. Looking at a calendar they could figure out his party will be October 24. That's just being a responsible guest.
  • Casadena said:
    Let your daughter open the balloon box or whatever.  I'm sure she's excited about the new baby and it makes you look less AW-ish. 

This seems like the best way of doing this, if this is the way you are set on doing it. I think that maybe you make a video of her opening the box with the colorful balloons and sending it to friends and family is a slightly better idea. Even though she is still really young, it would be a shame if she heard this story retold years later... you never know how it may make her feel and it could be problematic. We can agree to disagree, I'm just speaking from the perspective of an older sibling and even small things like this can make a sizable impact, even if it isn't intended to be negative.
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I definitely wouldn't make a big deal of it but it's fine to reveal the sex at the party... I agree you'd come off as really self absorbed if you had a big party for your 2 yr old and soon after that a whole other get-together around the sex. Do it in a low key way that involves the 2 yo.

I would send invitations as you normally would for the bday party. Send them about 4 weeks ahead and make no mention of gender reveal. I agree that relatives care whether you're having a boy or girl, but they are not sitting on the edge of their seat to find out. I find it annoying when people act like everyone is so wrapped up in "what I'm having" if those people weren't actively expressing an interest in it. I bet older generations are pretty turned off by it.